PDA

View Full Version : Alarm's

ss3079
06-06-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm just curious as to what alarm's you all use...and if you have added any extra options to the alarm.

Im guessing there's a lot of Crimestopper, DEI, etc out there.

- Steve

fantomas
06-06-2003, 10:12 PM
a watchful eye. i dont have an alarm... :( but im very careful where i park...whos around when i leave my car....etc.... theres actually not much for anyone to take out of my car except the hu which is covered by insurance. whether theres an alarm or not if someone smashes my window....guess what....the windows going to be smashed. ill think about getting one next year after my freshman year of school..

ss3079
06-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Anyone own Clifford's Avantguard 4? That thing seems to be unreal.

- Steve

paikiah
06-06-2003, 10:54 PM
I don't know what the name was on my old car, but it was a clifford, and had this anti-jack system...

The control had two buttons, one for enter, the other for numbers (1 click=1, 2 clicks = 2, so forth)

Any car jacker could jack it, take it for a ride for about 30 seconds, then the car will simply shut off with alarms blaring. It was a nifty feature, but it was also a pain in the butt everytime I had to disable it for jockey service.

btw, Steve... about 10+ posts to go before you reach the magical 10K...congratulations man..:)

ss3079
06-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
I don't know what the name was on my old car, but it was a clifford, and had this anti-jack system...

The control had two buttons, one for enter, the other for numbers (1 click=1, 2 clicks = 2, so forth)

Any car jacker could jack it, take it for a ride for about 30 seconds, then the car will simply shut off with alarms blaring. It was a nifty feature, but it was also a pain in the butt everytime I had to disable it for jockey service.

btw, Steve... about 10+ posts to go before you reach the magical 10K...congratulations man..:)

I'm in the hunt for a really good alarm system...and I'd be willing to spend as much as the Avantguard 4. I know an alarm is only as good as it's install, and that is no problem.

Dont remind me about the 10K lol;)

- Steve

paikiah
06-06-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
I'm in the hunt for a really good alarm system...and I'd be willing to spend as much as the Avantguard 4. I know an alarm is only as good as it's install, and that is no problem.

Dont remind me about the 10K lol;)

- Steve

I do remember telling someone long ago on the forum about the "stick" alarm.

It's an electric tazer sorta like stick that you gotta hook on in the center of your cabin when you park, and anyone who tries to enter the car will be zapped... I don't know the name of the alarm, sorry, but I'm sure it'll be more effective than mere sirens blaring.

The big downfall is that you're cooked too if you lose the key. It was on sale in my old install shop a few years back.

There are a few people here that have installed about three different alarms into their cars. It sounds tacky when switching it on and off, but it's upposed to do that job well. I guess the new clifford is superb already, so maybe there's no need. If you feel that the avant 4 is the best out there, why not have a go with it? :)

does that thing page you of any break in's too?

joshpoints
06-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
I do remember telling someone long ago on the forum about the "stick" alarm.

It's an electric tazer sorta like stick that you gotta hook on in the center of your cabin when you park, and anyone who tries to enter the car will be zapped... I don't know the name of the alarm, sorry, but I'm sure it'll be more effective than mere sirens blaring.

The big downfall is that you're cooked too if you lose the key. It was on sale in my old install shop a few years back.

There are a few people here that have installed about three different alarms into their cars. It sounds tacky when switching it on and off, but it's upposed to do that job well. I guess the new clifford is superb already, so maybe there's no need. If you feel that the avant 4 is the best out there, why not have a go with it? :)

does that thing page you of any break in's too?

That's great. Was it a really expensive alarm?

ss3079
06-07-2003, 06:57 PM
http://clifford.com/products/cp_ag4.htm
http://clifford.com/products/cp_co6.htm
http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_esp.asp#800esp
http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_esp.asp#600esp

Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards...I'd like to mix and match parts from each alarm to make a single one:D

- Steve

paikiah
06-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by joshpoints
That's great. Was it a really expensive alarm?

No, it wasn't very expensive.. just a bit of a hassle having to hook up that stick (about 70~80cm long) everytime you left the vehicle. It had this purple glow, so people would think twice about actually entering the cabin.

Steve, ok to mix and match components? What components were you thinking of mixing? I see that the directed alarm module can be programmable, but doubt it might accept all of Avant's features or something...

There's also this smoke screen thing.. heard of it? I saw a few magazines talk about it. If a person is too close to a car while it's armed, a harmless yet thick smoke screen will fill up your cabin in double time. Hampers thieves by 1. not seeing the components and 2. making it really hard to work, since it's so thick and you can't see 6" forward. It might look a bit silly if that was activated, and you opened your doors...

ss3079
06-07-2003, 10:23 PM
I'll think I'll just go with the Avant 4...guess I cant go wrong with it. I'll also be getting a tracking device.

That smoke thing sounds pretty sweet:D

- Steve