PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy some tools

x2o
07-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm looking to a circular saw and a jigsaw, it'll only be used to cut MDF.

This is not a WTB thread.

Only problem is I'm trying to get away with it as cheap as possible, and was wondering what kind of tools I can for the low low. :greedy:.

These tools will only be used to build boxes and cut other MDF I need and such, but my local home depot / lowes can't cut and they can't do 45 degree cuts (I'm sure they can, just don't want to).

So yeah, if you guys can help me out? I was thinking about just buying random stuff that I can get for the cheapest price, it'll only be used for building boxes and cutting MDF as stated, so I don't know. I don't need professional quality tools, MDF isn't too hard to cut :p:.

Thanks.

vitveet
07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a nice jigsaw I'll sell to you for cheap, lol! I have 3 and this one doesn't get used at all anymore! Works perfect also! Email me at [email protected] if you want more info, pics and price!

V.

stuckinok
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Lowes has a couple that are around 29.99 i think

kovemaster559
07-09-2008, 06:53 PM
harbor frieght

ultimate157
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
The cheaper the tool, the faster it breaks.

x2o
07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I realize buying cheaper tool would result in breaking faster. I was just wondering if it would have an overall effect on my box outcome and whatnot. Like I said, I will only use these tools when building boxes, which probably won't be more then a few times a year. I'm looking for somewhat disposable tools, I see lowes has jigsaws and circular saws for like 30-60$ each. I was just wondering if they would still cut the wood. lol.

SilverSquared
07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Harbor freight is a definate PLUS. Lifetime warranty on all tools.

I stick to black & decker (firestorm in lowes). I love it. WalMart had a drill, light, sawzall, circular, and stud sensor, in a 2ft canvas bag for $69.99. I already had a drill and 2 batteries, so add that to the kit, and a jigsaw is $44 or less, and you got all you need, plus a flashlight for right over $100.

bonesninja
07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I realize buying cheaper tool would result in breaking faster. I was just wondering if it would have an overall effect on my box outcome and whatnot. Like I said, I will only use these tools when building boxes, which probably won't be more then a few times a year. I'm looking for somewhat disposable tools, I see lowes has jigsaws and circular saws for like 30-60$ each. I was just wondering if they would still cut the wood. lol.

cheap *** circular saws make non-square cuts.......i hate cheap tools

ultimate157
07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I could never bring myself to buy a power tool from wal-mart.

bonesninja
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Harbor freight is a definate PLUS. Lifetime warranty on all tools.

I stick to black & decker (firestorm in lowes). I love it. WalMart had a drill, light, sawzall, circular, and stud sensor, in a 2ft canvas bag for $69.99. I already had a drill and 2 batteries, so add that to the kit, and a jigsaw is $44 or less, and you got all you need, plus a flashlight for right over $100.

i used to think that way too....until i used some em real tools. Thats why i went and bought a very nice Porter Cable Magnesium circular saw. It's MILES beyond my POS black and decker saw

jco1385
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
pawn shop ftw.

seen some nice **** for the low low

SilverSquared
07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I could never bring myself to buy a power tool from wal-mart.

So, you'd buy from Lowes or Home Depot? Same brand?

I'll buy a B&D from Wally way before a FS from Lowes...simply because Wally will take it back a lot easier and faster than Lowes. yeah, I got cheap, crapy tools.

They're 5 years old, used almost DAILY, and still going strong.

bonesninja
07-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Matter of fact....next person that has me build them a box...i'll throw in a Black and Decker circular saw for free

mil81
07-09-2008, 07:01 PM
harbor frieght

Your harbour freight is like out Princess Auto. I love that store. Some great stuff for cheap. Some crap for cheap. All you can do it buy some and try it out. If it's crap move on to something a little more expensive.

If the ultra cheap stuff isn't good enough, I go to Sears, or Canadian tire. Their stuff is usually great, cheap, and has a lifetime warranty.

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Well there is a harbor freight near me, might stop by there and pick up some cheap tools. As long as they cut straight I suppose it's alright with me. I realize most of you hate the cheap tools, but I by no means am a professional or will be using these on a daily basis. Like I said I will probably bring them out 2-4 times a year MAX.

So, Harbor Freight or black and decker (firestorm) from home depot / lowes for the low low? :p:

bonesninja
So, you'd buy from Lowes or Home Depot? Same brand?

I'll buy a B&D from Wally way before a FS from Lowes...simply because Wally will take it back a lot easier and faster than Lowes. yeah, I got cheap, crapy tools.

They're 5 years old, used almost DAILY, and still going strong.

hey man, to each his own...i'm just saying that I hate them...if they work for you...more power to you.

miker
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618252&N=+500939+1600+90401

Not sure if that i too much money for you, but that would be a good choice.

samger2
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I bought my jigsaw at Lowes it's held up really well for at least two years and I bought the cheapest one...the brand is Task Force...it wasn't more than about $24.99. Something along those lines will do just fine for what you're after.

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I think I can spring for that circular saw, then I can buy a jisaw for like 50 or so and call it a day. I'll go to home depot and lowes and harbor freight and see whatsup.

mlstrass
07-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I used a $5 jigsaw I got at a rummage sale 20+ years ago for MANY cuts with no problems. Most important part is good blades that will cut MDF easily.

If you're not doing commercial/industrial work then low budget tools will work fine. If you plan on building a LOT of boxes then get better stuff.

My $90 SKIL router has done about 35 boxes in the last 3 years, but I buy GOOD bits for it.

bonesninja
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I used a $5 jigsaw I got at a rummage sale 20+ years ago for MANY cuts with no problems. Most important part is good blades that will cut MDF easily.

If you're not doing commercial/industrial work then low budget tools will work fine. If you plan on building a LOT of boxes then get better stuff.

My $90 SKIL router has done about 35 boxes in the last 3 years, but I buy GOOD bits for it.

my craftsmen router was 90 bucks but i bought all porter cable brand bits...i love that **** thing

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Should I go with a router or a jigsaw? I know how to use a jigsaw, but I have never touched a router so idk.. They have similar price points on the low end, so which would be better for box building?

bonesninja
07-09-2008, 07:13 PM
a router is an amazing tool....but the jigsaw has its purposes also...can't really compare the 2.

sqhertz
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
tools are about as good as the person using them. ive seen people with high dollar **** make ****** cuts and people with harbor freight quality stuff make some very nice things.
id say just get what you can afford , on the expencive side. you dont NEED makita drills , porter cable routers , and dewalt jig saws but they are nice.
check pawn shops. sears , home depot and lowes clearance section always has good deals. i got my craftsman jig and cirulcar saw for less than $20 a piece on clearance at sears. not to mention a dewalt plunge/fixed base combo router for $50.

;)

kovemaster559
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
cheap *** circular saws make non-square cuts.......i hate cheap tools

i hate cheap tool too but op is on a limb and harbor friegt tools are good for 1 time use

The cheaper the tool, the faster it breaks.

take that **** back then . they have warrenty

sqhertz
07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
a router is an amazing tool....but the jigsaw has its purposes also...can't really compare the 2.

x2.

id say get a jig first since you already know how to use one and blades are cheap. then once you save your change , and come across a good deal , get a router.

kovemaster559
07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
tools are about as good as the person using them. ive seen people with high dollar **** make ****** cuts and people with harbor freight quality stuff make some very nice things.
id say just get what you can afford , on the expencive side. you dont NEED makita drills , porter cable routers , and dewalt jig saws but they are nice.
check pawn shops. sears , home depot and lowes clearance section always has good deals. i got my craftsman jig and cirulcar saw for less than $20 a piece on clearance at sears. not to mention a dewalt plunge/fixed base combo router for $50.

;)

AMEN!

bonesninja
07-09-2008, 07:17 PM

;)

are they needed? No....but i like the fact that there are there and always working for me and working like i expect. Nothing worse than having a POS tool break when you need it and don't really have the loot to go buy new. I don't mind spending a bit more on the front end

sqhertz
07-09-2008, 07:19 PM
are they needed? No....but i like the fact that there are there and always working for me and working like i expect. Nothing worse than having a POS tool break when you need it and don't really have the loot to go buy new. I don't mind spending a bit more on the front end

VERY ture.
but like i said...get what you can afford , on the expencive side.

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
i hate cheap tool too but op is on a limb and harbor friegt tools are good for 1 time use

take that **** back then . they have warrenty

Thanks for understanding the purpose of my post. I was just wondering cause if cheap tools didn't cut it my box build would have to wait a couple months to afford high-quality tools. These will be used rarely as I said before so I will just check the clearance sections as someone stated.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys, I first posted in the electrical section by accident and it got like 2 views so I got the savage to move it here :)

kovemaster559
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM

that is you and me too. honestly i love my tools. makita drills and dewalts this and that porter cable routes and **** , but the op only need to do the job and be done.he probly aint like us where we like every tool to triger fast and have smooth cuts to the end. the op is on a budget. unless you want to go steal a bunch on nice tools out of a contractors truckOP go to harbor frieght

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
that is you and me too. honestly i love my tools. makita drills and dewalts this and that porter cable routes and **** , but the op only need to do the job and be done.he probly aint like us where we like every tool to triger fast and have smooth cuts to the end. the op is on a budget. unless you want to go steal a bunch on nice tools out of a contractors truckOP go to harbor frieght

Yeah, I mean I'm 17, I'm not gonna go out and cut wood to build a house with these.

Plus my money isn't long, I started this build with like around 2 grand and am down to like 3-4 hundred now, no job so it's not gonna grow anymore :p:.

But yea, thanks for all the help guys

sqhertz
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for understanding the purpose of my post. I was just wondering cause if cheap tools didn't cut it my box build would have to wait a couple months to afford high-quality tools. These will be used rarely as I said before so I will just check the clearance sections as someone stated.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys, I first posted in the electrical section by accident and it got like 2 views so I got the savage to move it here :)

savage saved your day. :)

i know at work (sears) alot of the dewalt from last year went on clearance. even though they are a lil more expensive that the rest , i enjoy shopping there.

sqhertz
07-09-2008, 07:23 PM
**** , i just seen youre in miramar , lol. i was up there a week or so ago. :p:

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
**** , i just seen youre in miramar , lol. i was up there a week or so ago. :p:

Haha nice :D

kovemaster559
07-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I mean I'm 17, I'm not gonna go out and cut wood to build a house with these.

Plus my money isn't long, I started this build with like around 2 grand and am down to like 3-4 hundred now, no job so it's not gonna grow anymore :p:.

But yea, thanks for all the help guys

instead of the 40 dollars you are going to spend on tools. you could go beg you local shop to cut out all the pieces and piece them together! they mught do it for 30 bucks

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:30 PM
instead of the 40 dollars you are going to spend on tools. you could go beg you local shop to cut out all the pieces and piece them together! they mught do it for 30 bucks

Well the guys local don't get the cuts right, ever. I've had wood cut there a few times before and gone with other people to get wood cut, but it's always at least 3/4" off and not usually straight. From home depot at least. I havn't tried lowes yet to cut up the mdf.

I'd rather just go spend the $100-$150 and be able to do it myself so I know if it gets messed up it's my fault and I'll be able to rebuild it without paying someone twice.

Like, in total I'm trying to spend ~150 on the circular saw + jigsaw. so assuming like $75 a piece. I think they'll be good enough quality for what I need.

kovemaster559
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
true true.

kovemaster559
07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
http://www.whozaa.com/Image/redman

let him build your box!

x2o
07-09-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.whozaa.com/Image/redman

let him build your box!

Lmao, he might actually cut a straighter line then the old guy at Home Depot :p:

x2o
07-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, one more thing. I would prefer to buy from home depot, but all their lower end saws are by Ryobi. Is it a decent thing for what I need it to do? I'd just rather buy from home depot cause I have a $100 home depot gift card I can use, but if the stuff is crap I'd just rather not.

What about like :
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618238
and
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100017816&N=10000003+90002&D=jigsaw

Will these work? If so I won't have to dish out any $$ for them. I hope they will.

BTW : Do these saws include blades? Or will I have to buy them in addition to the machine?

Thanks for the patience guys :)

x2o
07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Bibbity bump, will probably buy these tomorrow. If not tomorrow then definitely on Friday.

99grandprixGT
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
is it easy to get straight cuts with a circular saw?

x2o
07-10-2008, 01:13 AM
is it easy to get straight cuts with a circular saw?

Most likely not as easy as it is with a table saw. But with enough talent you can get a straight cut with anything. I don't know, I can let you know how it turns out when it's all said and done though :D

99grandprixGT
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
Most likely not as easy as it is with a table saw. But with enough talent you can get a straight cut with anything. I don't know, I can let you know how it turns out when it's all said and done though :D

all right let me know. im debating buying a table saw right now. if i can use a circular saw and get some good cuts id prob do it.

SRim23
07-10-2008, 01:25 AM
all right let me know. im debating buying a table saw right now. if i can use a circular saw and get some good cuts id prob do it.

bonesninja, who makes my boxes for me, uses a circular saw i believe. he just clamps a straight piece of wood to the wood ur cutting and uses it as a straight edge. both boxes hes made me are straight.

99grandprixGT
07-10-2008, 01:34 AM
bonesninja, who makes my boxes for me, uses a circular saw i believe. he just clamps a straight piece of wood to the wood ur cutting and uses it as a straight edge. both boxes hes made me are straight.

ya that's what i was thinking use something as a guide.

mlstrass
07-10-2008, 03:01 AM
I used a 4' level as a saw guide and it worked fine. Table saw is just much faster. As mentioned it's more about the person using the tools. Take your time, measure twice, and plan on a mistake or two as you learn.

If it's only for one build then BORROW a circular saw/jig saw. Someone you know or your parents know has to have them.

x2o
07-10-2008, 03:04 AM
I used a 4' level as a saw guide and it worked fine. Table saw is just much faster. As mentioned it's more about the person using the tools. Take your time, measure twice, and plan on a mistake or two as you learn.

If it's only for one build then BORROW a circular saw/jig saw. Someone you know or your parents know has to have them.

Negative. Plus I plan on using it for a couple boxes cause I know I want to try a few different setups for this MT. Different air space and different port tunings. (No, I don't think I can successfully make interchangeable ports, so it will just be different boxes)

Plus, I'm not a fan of borrowing because if I **** something up GAME OVER. :(.

Plus as mentioned on page 3 or so I have a $100 home depot gift card, which can cover a cheap circular saw and jig saw. :D

GLN305
07-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Tool quality has a little to do with it, but in all honesty I built some nice boxes using my Ryobi 18V cordless circular saw and cordless jigsaw. Take your time with the cuts and be patient. Honestly for $75 each you can get some decent tools.

mil81
07-10-2008, 12:29 PM
If you're trying to be cheap, use your gift card. Even if the Ryobi stuff is crap (which I don't think it is) it's going to be better than anything you buy at Harbour Freight. And I'm sure they are comparable to anything in their price range.

Do it up.

x2o
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Alright cool thanks a lot guys, I'm gonna try to head out to home depot later today. I just wanted to make sure buying cheap tools wouldn't totally ruin my box quality. :p:

Thanks for all the help!

mrogowski
07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Tool quality has a little to do with it, but in all honesty I built some nice boxes using my Ryobi 18V cordless circular saw and cordless jigsaw. Take your time with the cuts and be patient. Honestly for $75 each you can get some decent tools.

Wrong! Quality is the difference between using a tool over the course of your lifetime and having one that breaks on you after using it six times. Quality is also the difference between having a circular saw that provides you with accurate cuts when everything is lined up verses one where the frame is not properly aligned or is bent because the steel frame is too flimsy.

I've been down the cheap route already and learned my lesson. If I cannot afford a quality new tool I look for a quality used one.

OP, take a temporary step back and reevaluate. Look through the classifieds section of your newspaper and on places like Craigslist for quality used equipment. Believe me, quality used will last a lot longer and give you better results than cheap new.

x2o
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Wrong! Quality is the difference between using a tool over the course of your lifetime and having one that breaks on you after using it six times. Quality is also the difference between having a circular saw that provides you with accurate cuts when everything is lined up verses one where the frame is not properly aligned or is bent because the steel frame is too flimsy.

I've been down the cheap route already and learned my lesson. If I cannot afford a quality new tool I look for a quality used one.

OP, take a temporary step back and reevaluate. Look through the classifieds section of your newspaper and on places like Craigslist for quality used equipment. Believe me, quality used will last a lot longer and give you better results than cheap new.

Alright I'll look into that, but I'm not really patient and kind of need this soon so if I don't find anything I'll just buy the stuff cheap. Like I said, from home depot it'll end up being free. :p:.

I'll look around on craigslist however and browse the paper today and if nothing comes up I'll head out to home depot tomorrow.

hemi=22s
07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
we live in south florida man lolz hit up the pawn shops u can get some nice **** for the lowz also craigslist ftw

x2o
07-10-2008, 06:21 PM
we live in south florida man lolz hit up the pawn shops u can get some nice **** for the lowz also craigslist ftw

Yeah I don't know of any good pawn shops around though. I guess I can just drive through the city, there's a bunch. Nothing really out here in the 'burbs though. Craigslist turned up rather useless though, any listings that had potential were from like may.