PDA

View Full Version : Viper 5900 not LOUD enough

RebelDogg
06-30-2008, 09:56 PM
I know I can make the chirps louder by cutting the (black?) wire on the siren. I read that somewhere. But it's not the chirps I want louder, it's the siren.

I forget where I park a lot, so I press the button a couple times and it gives a quick siren blast. But I can't really hear it unless I'm already pretty close (like a few cars away.) And the horn doesn't honk like on some other alarms I've seen.

I was thinking of adding a siren. Does it have to be a Viper 5900 siren or is there some kind of aftermarket siren I can get? I know NOTHING about car alarms, so I don't know if one siren is the same as the next (amperage, power requirements, hookup... whatever)

Also, the placement of my siren (I believe) is part of my problem. With my hood popped, it's MUCH louder. I have a 99 Tahoe. The siren is under the ECU. (Have to look again, I think it's the ECU.) It points right into a piece of metal. It could be moved back some I think, which would help. Or just relocated completely. But I'm scared to mess with it and don't want to have to pay the install guy to do it if I don't have to.

hemi=22s
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM
u ca n add any siren the higher the db rating the louder

RebelDogg
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Any idea what DB rating the stock Viper 5900 siren is? Just so I know where to start.

hemi=22s
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
look on dei spec page it should say how many db it is, i got 3 under the hood of their 514 sirens its plenty loud

lbjshaq2345
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I got the $50 siren from BB (they have it in the back, go ask the installer for one). I'd estimate it's audible from a mile +

IamMurph
07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Add horn honk output and that 128db siren will be fine with the horn going off as well.

hoxie08
07-06-2008, 03:48 PM
add a siren to each corner of the vehicle facing straight down :) lol. loud as ****, and if you do it right a thief cant cut just one wire and disable your siren....

gl0ck
07-08-2008, 10:33 PM
add a siren to each corner of the vehicle facing straight down :) lol. loud as ****, and if you do it right a thief cant cut just one wire and disable your siren....

Your right he could go right ahead and ground the siren wire, destroying the brain or the relay that you isolated it with, which then would run back to the brain, Horn is the solution here. get it hooked up,