PDA

View Full Version : do you think this idea would work?

orangeprotege
06-03-2003, 09:33 AM
ok so as i was sitting in my driveway staring at my car woundering what i shoud do to it next, i had this idea pop into my head. ok i work at a hardware store and we have this stuff called "optix" it is this realy strong plexiglass like stuff. it is 1/4 thick. so i got this idea to put a piece of it in the back of the trunk of my Mazda Protege, where the seats fold down. you know how there is the space. ok so i thought i could put a piece of optix there cut out a space and put two "12's" in the with neons and all that crap, do you think it would work and if it would sound good, i am open to anysugestions or comments. Thanks

orangeprotege
06-03-2003, 09:51 AM
ok so i havebeen thinking about it and i dont think 1/4 wouudl be strong enough for the subs i want to get, i am planing on getting visonik 12's...

ramos
06-03-2003, 12:08 PM
A 1/4" wouldn't cut it man. Also what your talking about would essentialy be an I B ( infinite baffle) set up. So you would want to take that into consideration when purchasing your subs. Not all subs work well in IB set ups. :)

Musto
06-03-2003, 02:38 PM
alright dude, heres what i know......

a friend of mine had a 2000 stang gt,

he did what your talking about doing, the exact same thing, except instead of the place where your seats fold down, he did that same thing except in a place where the spare tire was soposed to go, i know that was a stupid thing to do, but its basically the same principle your talking about doing,

it sounded like complete ***, im not exagerating at all when i say it sounded like a deep matress spring. it was disgusting.

this may or may not help you, im just sayin it seems like its basically the same idea your talking about, just your using a larger airspace, wich i would think, i could be wrong though, that it would sound even worse. but, thats just mtt fifty cents.

Matt

AIM: MMM0513

orangeprotege
06-04-2003, 10:33 PM
ok i didnt think it would work because ther would be no air tight space so maybe if i built a box around the back of the subs and sealed it air tight?

Musto
06-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by orangeprotege
ok i didnt think it would work because ther would be no air tight space so maybe if i built a box around the back of the subs and sealed it air tight?

there ya go---- that would be perfect. thats actually what your soposed to do. nice idea, now that would work great.

Matt

orangeprotege
06-05-2003, 09:50 AM
ok so i found this ficture of a competition car and he subs arent inclosed

ramos
06-05-2003, 09:54 AM
I can't really tell cause the picture is so small. But they do appear to be in an enclosure. They are just inverted. :)

Musto
06-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ramos
I can't really tell cause the picture is so small. But they do appear to be in an enclosure. They are just inverted. :)

yep, theyre in an enclousure. the subs are just mounted backwards, for cosmetic purposes. makes no change in sound whatsoever

orangeprotege
06-05-2003, 09:48 PM
you can see the pics better at www.visonikcaraudio,com go to show cars, but that would be the same as my idea except backwards i was going to enclose the front i dont know, maybe i will just make and enclosure arounf the back? any one got any pics or ideas?

Musto
06-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by orangeprotege
you can see the pics better at www.visonikcaraudio,com go to show cars, but that would be the same as my idea except backwards i was going to enclose the front i dont know, maybe i will just make and enclosure arounf the back? any one got any pics or ideas?

you can do that, you just have to make a BOX, eclosed on all sides, or ported or whatever, then screw the sub in backwards with the magnet facing outwards....im confused as to what your tryin to do though, maybe draw a pic??