PDA

View Full Version : RE MX tuning

azimuth
06-28-2008, 06:46 PM
debated for the last couple days over what to do with the mx. bounced sealed vs. ported around in my head for awhile and decided on ported tuned low. the plan is to build around 2.25 cubes ported at 30 or maybe 28 hz. aero ports. downfired. i'm putting in the baffle next. the rest is built. because it's downfired, i can move the baffle either down towards the floor (more space), or up (less space). before i do this, what are your opinions? it's also not to late to seal it. the specs kinda say that it's a little better suited for sealed, but i want some output, so i decided to port it and tune it to 28. RE says optimal is 2.0, but with aeros and my design, i would be limited to a 38 hz tuning. maybe 36. so i had to make it a little bigger and brace the fvck out of it to take up some space. anyway. opinions?

newusername
06-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Does your HU have any EQ abilities? I think the best solution is 2.25 cubes tuned to 28 Hz (or even lower), then EQ'ing some of the low end down a bit. This will make for a pretty good match to your vehicle's transfer function. Of course, if you love huge low frequency performance, then you might be satisfied with the enclosure as is.

Sealed is the easiest way to achieve satisfaction, but perhaps the best way to achieve your performance goals is the method I described above.

azimuth
06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
yeah. i want to get loud, but keep some sound quality. i'm sure it'll get plenty loud enough for daily driving. i'll compete in some bass races, but i don't need to hit high db's for that.

azimuth
06-28-2008, 07:32 PM
well. here goes nothin'. tuning to 28. i'll see how well my design is when i try to fit 2, 33 inch long aero's inside the box.

hemi=22s
06-28-2008, 07:35 PM
that will be great for that sub i had it in 2.3 at 32-33 hz and it was hitting the lows and sounded great man, def should of been tuned a lil lower tho

u gotta change the sub in ur sig lolz upgrade bigtime

azimuth
06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
that will be great for that sub i had it in 2.3 at 32-33 hz and it was hitting the lows and sounded great man, def should of been tuned a lil lower tho

u gotta change the sub in ur sig lolz upgrade bigtime

not gonna make it down to compete with it today:crying: worked 'til midnight last night. ran in to a couple of little snags that held me up. my design was just a little off, so i couldn't, for the life of me get my ports long enough. i was tempted to excercise my steel toe on it. anyway, i was still able to tune it to 30 hz, but i wanted to get down to 28 or even 26. i'll rebuild when i don't have to do it in 1 day.

CRXBMPN
06-29-2008, 01:23 PM
man these subs love the lows... enjoy