PDA

View Full Version : coaxial center speaker?

paikiah
06-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Ok, I've got a double DIN opening right on top of the dash, and I'm only using 1 of it. I've temporarily covered it up with some vinyl and wood, very badly done... just did it to cover the gaping hole.

I was first set on getting an analog clock and volt meter on there, but I figure it's gonna be directly in my vision at night, so now i wanna place a center speaker in there instead.

I see some use coaxial speakers, while others prefer a midrange. I've suddenly gotten the chance to purchase a component, as there's a bunch of people here who's buying equipments and agreed to let me get one as payment for installing their equipments.

So...

center channel speaker (coaxial or midrange) OR

new component set (Focal 165V, 50w RMS)

I figure the focal's might be better than my old RF power components. What do you think?

paikiah
06-02-2003, 10:08 AM
ttt

smokeoff
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-dLBeQASg6yY/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=62900&I=020SRK5&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Don't know if this will help, but it is a start. I have heard really good things about them. However if your are not going to watch any movies or other 5.1 channel audio I would find it quit usless.

paikiah
06-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by smokeoff
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-dLBeQASg6yY/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=62900&I=020SRK5&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Don't know if this will help, but it is a start. I have heard really good things about them. However if your are not going to watch any movies or other 5.1 channel audio I would find it quit usless.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Yeah, I've seen this before... but it's quite expensive over here and being only half DIN, I STILL would have another half DIN to contemplate with.

This is how my DIN cutout currently looks like. THe bulges are screws, cause I was too lazy to sink them in (I know I should've)
http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/data/501/5134hu-med.JPG

Wonderbread
06-02-2003, 07:45 PM
man, that is HARDCORe fugly...

paikiah
06-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Wonderbread
man, that is HARDCORe fugly...

oh, tell me about it...

I'm trying to fit in a 7" LCD monitor in there in the future, but for the time being, I've got to cover the gaping hole at the top. Got any ideas? If all else fails, a brax voltage meter and digital/analog clock face goes on.

MikeofTulsa
06-02-2003, 08:02 PM
i say go w/ the voltage meter and clock

Wonderbread
06-02-2003, 09:46 PM
ya, the voltage and the clock is probably the best way to go...
or else a half din EQ

paikiah
06-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Wonderbread
ya, the voltage and the clock is probably the best way to go...
or else a half din EQ

Brax voltage meter = US$100
Clock = $30

Audio control 1DIN EQ = US$300 minimum.

It looks like I don't have much of a choice..:( I don't even have enough for a 4 x 8 MDF sheet, money's all tied up in business.

As for the housing of the meters, should I go with the body color or just plain black? I can't seem to locate carbon fiber look mats to cover it (since my center console is a cheap platic carbon fiber looking ripoff)

Wonderbread
06-02-2003, 09:54 PM
whichever would look best, i dont know the setup of your interior..