PDA

View Full Version : time to build my box

sixstringmadman
06-02-2003, 01:05 AM
alright, schools out, i'm ordering stuff online, but i want to build the box myself. i ordered a pioneer 12" 400w RMS, and i'm still lookin around for which amp i wanna get. does anyone have any good blueprints or something like that for a good sealed box for a 12"? what things should i think about? is box size a big deal? what exactly will i need and where can i get it?

EDIT: i've decided to get the 15" instead. just pretend i said 15" everytime i said 12" :)

bigred78797
06-02-2003, 01:25 AM
U didn't get the pioneer premier did u? If you did i could help yaz. but sealed boxes are easy to build. Do a search on yahoo for Win ISD pro and that should help you with the size of the box.

Basically the size of the box is used to help control the sub... make the box too big and the sub will begin to flop out of control at around 30 hz or so. Make the box too small and it sound like crap. I think the reccomended enclosure size for the Pionerr Premiers are around 1.3 ft^3 for a sealed. Knowing Pioneer they will probably give that to you in their manual.

U make the box out of 3/4" MDF ( Medium Density Fiberboard ), Screwes ( DO NOT USE NAILS ), and some type of sealent ( i use a mixture of superclue and latex culk ). Or if u wanna be a pro about it use fiberglass. I wouldn't reccomend it for a novice. U can get all this stuff at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, or any place that's like a hardware store.

As for your amp... PERSONALLY i just fork over the extra money and buy audiobahn. I ran my pionerr at 440w constant with and audionbahn 6601 amp. I don't know about other amps but all audiobahn amps go slightly below their reccomended ohm rating, because most of their speakers go below their posted ohm rating.

sixstringmadman
06-02-2003, 01:40 AM
i went to the pioneer site(no, i didn't get the premier), and i looked at the spec PDF for the 15". theres a bunch o dimensions and **** here, but i don't nkow what to make of it.

bigred78797
06-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Hold on one sec ill try and see how it is.

bigred78797
06-02-2003, 01:48 AM
OK OK OK... They suggest making a box that is 2 ft^3 ( 2 cubic feet ).

I wouldn't reccomend doing ported with these speakers becuase they don't have the Xcursion to handle it. Just tellin yaz what i know from experience

sixstringmadman
06-02-2003, 01:56 AM
alright, so what should i make the dimensions?

bigred78797
06-02-2003, 02:07 AM
I dunno depends on your car. YOU could just go with a 1.45x1.45x1.45 ft box or you could make it any shape just as long as the volume is equal to 2 ft^3

sixstringmadman
06-02-2003, 02:52 AM
i don't always have to go buy that, though, or do i? if i wanted a really deep sound couldn't i just build a box that was like 8 ft^3 or something? i don't know even know how big i'd make it, but i want my 15" to be a deep full sound. how big can i go without it being too big and sounding crappy?