PDA

View Full Version : Rotozip router double baffle

3kracing
06-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Ok so I've been building my box for the last 2 days (work on it an hour or two a day before I go to work) Monday I cut all the wood, today I started building it and all I have left to do is double baffle and put the top on. Now is it easier to cut the circle before I put the baffle on the box or is it easier to cut the circle after the baffle is already on the box. Also, what bit would I need to cut through 1.5" mdf. Or should I just do flush mount?

Also, whats the easiest way to cut 45 degree angle for the corners of the box?

MasterOfAllBass
06-25-2008, 02:20 AM
im also building a box soon with double baffle and im using a rotozip. Im just going to put both together when use a 1 3/4 bit and cut it out before puting it on the box.

SRim23
06-25-2008, 02:32 AM
im a fan of the flush mount personally

helotaxi
06-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Cut the circles individually. Align the two pieces for the baffle and drill a center hole all the way through, then cut out each separately. Trying to go through 2 pieces of MDF at once with a RotoZip is asking to snap a bit. Breaking bits on those things falls into the category of "scary."

3kracing
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Cut the circles individually. Align the two pieces for the baffle and drill a center hole all the way through, then cut out each separately. Trying to go through 2 pieces of MDF at once with a RotoZip is asking to snap a bit. Breaking bits on those things falls into the category of "scary."

Alright sounds good. Think I'm gonna go for flush mount. Yeah my friend Milan was cutting my air box with a dremel and the blade/grinder thing broke off and was actually sticking in the ceiling. He wasn't wearing any eye protection either. That could have gone bad fast.

3kracing
06-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Even with the circle cutter I can't cut perfect circles they're a little bit jagged and stuff. Is there some other trick?

SPY
06-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Don't try to cut through 3/4" MDF in one pass.

I use a router and a spiral upcutting bit and I make 3-4 passes for a 3/4" Thick baffle.

twisztdauthorit
06-26-2008, 12:37 AM
i got a jasper jig for my router and i used to do 1 pass cuts..

Now i do a very light pass barely etching the surface and measure 2x to make sure its a tight fit.
-then i cut 1/2 way through
-then finish it off with one more pass

helotaxi
06-26-2008, 05:39 AM
I've found that I get a more consistent cut with a full depth cut. I use only spiral up-cut bits on the router for this kind of work precisely because thy allow a nice single pass cut without undue wear or stress on the bit or router motor.

I did full depth cuts with the RotoZip as well when I was using one because it placed the bit load closer to the collet and reduced bit flex which prolonged bit life. All told I only ever broke one bit and it scared me bad enough that I started going to great lengths to minimze stress on the bits. Loading them out on the end causes them to flex a lot which greatly shortens the life of the tool.

GohillaAudio
06-27-2008, 11:33 PM
jigsaw ftw!

duece212
06-28-2008, 12:11 AM
After two broken bits on my rotozip on one 18" cutout I retired it....it ******