PDA

View Full Version : Reason for fiberglassing

alove_85
06-02-2003, 12:19 AM
I'm just curious to see why ppl fiberglass. I like fiberglassing because it looks nice and saves space. So whats your reasons? (looks, space, get the most volume, etc.)

MikeofTulsa
06-02-2003, 12:42 AM
looks nice, less space, less weight, more options....

97dakota
06-02-2003, 12:47 AM
how can you determine volume before you finish it. don't want to build one and then find out its to small. anyone know

MikeofTulsa
06-02-2003, 12:50 AM
basicly u can either u can fill it w/ something that u know the volume of....like a gallon of watter or sand and figure it that way.....or u can use guesstimates

yell
06-02-2003, 01:35 AM
My question is does it sound as good as wood and how do i fiber glass i am new at this?

MikeofTulsa
06-02-2003, 01:38 AM
should sound as good.....

ss3079
06-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by yell
My question is does it sound as good as wood and how do i fiber glass i am new at this?

If it is of adequate thickness, it should sound just the same.

- Steve

ramos
06-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
If it is of adequate thickness, it should sound just the same.

- Steve

Aye, laddy you hit the nail on the head. :D Provided the glass is of proper thickness/ strength. There will be no audible difference what so ever. :)

I started glassing cause it's fun. It makes things more challenging when the longer you work the stronger the buzz gets. :)

ss3079
06-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by ramos
Aye, laddy you hit the nail on the head. :D Provided the glass is of proper thickness/ strength. There will be no audible difference what so ever. :)

I started glassing cause it's fun. It makes things more challenging when the longer you work the stronger the buzz gets. :)

That and you can do SO much more than with normal wood.

Besides, you know we're in it for the beer break when the glass' is drying.

- Steve

alove_85
06-03-2003, 08:02 PM
i tried making a spare tire fiberglass box today but i used the gel form of resin and it worked horrible because it kept sticking the fiberglass to the brush. They make resin so you can just dip the fiberglass in it dont they? like a liqid form?

ramos
06-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by alove_85
i tried making a spare tire fiberglass box today but i used the gel form of resin and it worked horrible because it kept sticking the fiberglass to the brush. They make resin so you can just dip the fiberglass in it dont they? like a liqid form?

I prefer to brush it on to the cloth. You can use either polyester resin or epoxy. Polyester is usually the cheapest and easiest to come by locally. Both come in a liquid form, with a catalyst to be added. The reason I prefer to brush it onto the mat is simple. The fibers holding the mat together are meant to be disolved by the resin itself. So when you start dipping the mat in the resin. It tends to turn into a pile of goo in a hurry :)

alove_85
06-04-2003, 02:58 PM
alright thanks. walmart here only had the gel form of resin so where would i pick up the liquid form? menards or runnings?

ramos
06-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by alove_85
alright thanks. walmart here only had the gel form of resin so where would i pick up the liquid form? menards or runnings?

Lowes, Home depot, Hardware store, most Auto parts stores, boat supply yards. I would look in the phone book and call around. You may be able to find a deal. :)

alove_85
06-04-2003, 04:15 PM
ok ill try that, thanks!

ramos
06-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ss3079
That and you can do SO much more than with normal wood.

Besides, you know we're in it for the beer break when the glass' is drying.

- Steve

You really do need the beer to keep the buzz going :D :)

ss3079
06-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ramos
You really do need the beer to keep the buzz going :D :)

Beer and fiberglassing almost go hand in hand I think.

- Steve

Fuel37
06-11-2003, 08:51 AM
beer + anything go hand in hand man....