PDA

View Full Version : So I blew my rear speaker...

Subst4nce
06-24-2008, 11:40 AM
So last night I was trying to set the gain on my amp with a test tone... And somehow I managed to blow my rear 6x9..... In the front I have JL VR650-csi's and the rears were boston acoustics 6x9's... I think their still warrantied so I should be able to get them fixed.. But is there any other options for a rear fill besides nothing?

I have an old 2 channel Kenwood KAC-7203 that puts out 170w @ 4 ohms per channel I believe... Would I be better off hooking my front speakers up to that amp and keeping my rears low so this does not happen again? Or just get a nice 4 channel amp?

any feedback would be appreciated.. thanks.

jco1385
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
when using tones, unhook speakers. this prevents this type ****

TurdFergueson2
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
You were sending bass to those rears?

On here, having rear fill is a mixed bag. I personally like it, some don't. I'd get a nice 4 channel

Subst4nce
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
yeah i sorta realized that now... but hey you gotta learn through your mistakes.. thankfully its not going to be very expensive haha.

jco1385
06-24-2008, 11:48 AM
everything i learned i learned through trial and error. there's a lot of money and fcked up equipment in my knowledges. lolz

jco1385
06-24-2008, 11:49 AM
lesson 1. unhook the battery before anything else

lesson 2. unhook speakers/subs when using test tones to set amps

:fyi:

eharri3
06-24-2008, 11:55 AM
This is what I've been told to. If you don't have a DMM or o-scope, and you MUST set your gains by ear, be quick about it and don't send those tones to your speakers for very long. They tend to be particularly hard on speakers, something about how regular music has rising and falling volumes to give your speakers a breather whereas when you put these flat tones through your speakers at near clipping volumes they can fry them fast.

When I did mine it was for maybe a minute and a half-2 minutes. I could swear there was a faint burning smell after I stopped but everything is still working fine right now so I'll just have to wait and see what blows and replace it.

Subst4nce
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
This is what I've been told to. If you don't have a DMM or o-scope, and you MUST set your gains by ear, be quick about it and don't send those tones to your speakers for very long. They tend to be particularly hard on speakers, something about how regular music has rising and falling volumes to give your speakers a breather whereas when you put these flat tones through your speakers at near clipping volumes they can fry them fast.

When I did mine it was for maybe a minute and a half-2 minutes. I could swear there was a faint burning smell after I stopped but everything is still working fine right now so I'll just have to wait and see what blows and replace it.

See the problem was.. I wasn't setting the gains on my speakers i was setting it for my sub... not noticing that the bass was actually being sent through the speakers at the time too... I assume getting an amp would prevent this from happening with a Low pass filter (or HPF I always forget which one)?

jco1385
06-24-2008, 12:08 PM
thats ignorant. why use a tone without a DMM? there's no point.

setting "by ear" just means setting it while playing music IMO. tones are only used with a DMM

jco1385
06-24-2008, 12:09 PM
See the problem was.. I wasn't setting the gains on my speakers i was setting it for my sub... not noticing that the bass was actually being sent through the speakers at the time too... I assume getting an amp would prevent this from happening with a Low pass filter (or HPF I always forget which one)?

are your speakers amped? if so, unhook those rcas. otherwise unhook the speakers from the hu

Subst4nce
06-24-2008, 12:43 PM
are your speakers amped? if so, unhook those rcas. otherwise unhook the speakers from the hu

Actually no I don't have them amped... soon I'm hoping to have them though... depending upon if i have to buy new speakers will depend on what i'm doing with my setup. But yeah I'll have to unhook them from the HU for now on until I get an amp to prevent stuff like this from happening...

BEAVER.989
06-24-2008, 01:14 PM
lesson 1. unhook the battery before anything else

lesson 2. unhook speakers/subs when using test tones to set amps
:fyi:

This is a little misleading as the amplifier has to have a load on it to set the gains correctly.

And using a dmm to set your gains isn't really the best option anyway.

jco1385
06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
i use my ear. and you figure the load into the equation. maybe we're on different pages..

BEAVER.989
06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I too use my ears, with the speakers connected, obviously. ;)

jco1385
06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I too use my ears, with the speakers connected, obviously. ;)

no wai

BEAVER.989
06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
fo shizzle

eharri3
06-24-2008, 05:19 PM
thats ignorant. why use a tone without a DMM? there's no point.

setting "by ear" just means setting it while playing music IMO. tones are only used with a DMM
i dont think its impossible to use tones and ur ears. U just dont want to sit there takin ur time with the tone turnd up. i keep the gain at minimum and turn up the hu til the pitch changes then back off til its normal again. Then with volume at that level i turn the gain up til pitch changes again and back off. When i did this the gains ended up at 2 volts exactly. My hu puts out 2 volts.

jco1385
06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
you are the only person i've heard of that has done it like that

eharri3
06-24-2008, 06:11 PM
you are the only person i've heard of that has done it like that
found it in a tutorial. Not paying over 100 bucks for something id only use once. Dont think the 25 dollar radio shack dmm cuts it. And all the shops around here tune by blasting whatever i hapen to have on my ipod or cd player. again.. I dont think its a coincidence that they exactly match the hu output. An o scope is better but i hear of people getting all sorts of wierd readouts on voltmeters.