PDA

View Full Version : Spx-17pro / Pvi-216 / 720prs

oren
06-24-2008, 02:04 AM
I am new to this forum, so hi everybody!
Thanks for all the great information and advice you have here.
I would really value your thoughts on a setup for my new car.
I have had recording studios for the last 15 years, and have a lot of experience when it comes to sound quality.
I am setting up a system on my new Nissan 350Z Nismo.
I am really NOT looking for unreasonable audio levels, as much as I am looking for crystal-clear highly defined sound at reasonable audio levels.
I also don’t want to add too much weight to the car, as it is a sports car, and I intend to use it as such.
I decided to go with a reasonably sized and light weight amp for the entire system – the Alpine PDX5.
I believe that it should be enough to support a system for such a small car.
I intend to fit a 10” woofer in the original Bose system location in the middle of the car (behind the driver seat).

I am now looking for the front door 6.5” speakers and tweeters.
Based on all the information I could gather, I narrowed the options down to the following 3 options:
Pioneer 720PRS
Alpine SPX-17PRO
MBQUART PVI-216
I would really value your opinion.

Did anybody have an opportunity to listen to the PVI-216 ?
I couldn’t find any serious review about it.
I had MBQUARTS in the past, and really enjoyed their sound, but that was a few years ago.

Also – how do you think the Alpine SPX-17PRO compares to the SPX-17REF?
Thanks everyone.

dragnix
06-24-2008, 02:09 AM
SPX-17 Pro? Is that the new type x or is that from the F1 series? Either way, those comp set from Alpine should be pretty good.

But i want to make a suggestion for you, instead of buying comp. sets, why not try out an active setup? What kind of headunit do you have right now btw?

oren
06-24-2008, 08:40 AM
SPX-17PRO is the new type X- link (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=SPX-17PRO)

What do you mean by trying an active setup?

oren
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
advice anybody?

dragnix
06-24-2008, 11:12 PM
SPX-17PRO is the new type X- link (http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=SPX-17PRO)

What do you mean by trying an active setup?

active setup would be powering your mids and tweets with its own channel of amplification. The simplest would be doing a 3way active setup, tweets, mids, and sub. In an active setup, instead of using the passive xover that comes with the comp set, you would use an active crossover. Usually built into nicer headunits, or you can buy a simple 3way one.

An active setup would allow you more freedom with which frequencies which speakers will play. It also allow you to mix and match speakers since you're not limited to just a comp. set that the manufacturer provides. Also, with an active setup, the speakers will require less power since the passive xover is not there to eat up some of the power your amp is giving.

I hope I helped you somewhat, the best thing to do is to search around about an active setup, you just have to find it. If there's anything that I forgot, please everyone, feel free to chime in/correct me

oren
06-25-2008, 07:58 PM
thanks for the thorough exlanation.
i will certainly consider it.
however, i think i should really start with a simple passive setup, and work my way up from there.