PDA

View Full Version : Hmm...Rainbow says don't go active?

gti303
06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
LOL so I open my SLC265 Kicks...and I see in bold in the manual, 'DO NOT RUN THESE SPEAKERS WITH AN ACTIVE CROSSOVER'...

it says the tweeter is not designed for it...I don't see the problem tho...does anyone else? is this just so that rainbow doesn't have to accept warranty claims on broken items that ppl mess up

dragnix
06-23-2008, 11:43 PM
LOL so I open my SLC265 Kicks...and I see in bold in the manual, 'DO NOT RUN THESE SPEAKERS WITH AN ACTIVE CROSSOVER'...

it says the tweeter is not designed for it...I don't see the problem tho...does anyone else? is this just so that rainbow doesn't have to accept warranty claims on broken items that ppl mess up

maybe they just think their **** is already matched as well as it should and that the user should not **** with it.

speedfreak28
06-23-2008, 11:45 PM
i would use the passive if you dont have alot of experience active or proper eq and crossover to mess with.

gti303
06-24-2008, 01:42 AM
i would use the passive if you dont have alot of experience active or proper eq and crossover to mess with.

Just wanting to go active with my 9887 and get it imprinted...

gti303
06-24-2008, 01:53 AM
plus is it really that hard? I've never gone with an active x-over before...but don't I just set the 9887 to 3-way active crossover, set the cross overs there, then plug in the tweets to my rears and mids to the fronts (or vice versa whatever way the manual says I don't remember)...how can one really mess this up?

Beerdrnkr
06-24-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm sure they stated that for warranty purposes.

Racerx250
06-29-2008, 05:29 AM
fk em. they will never know the difference.

SQChevy
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
It is probably because the tweeter is very sensitive about lower frequencies. They are worried about the tweeters frying easily. That would be my guess.

BEAVER.989
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
There are some speakers that NEED their passive crossovers to function properly. A very reliable source once told me that the Memphis MCSQ tweeters would load up and spontaneously make your ears bleed if ran active. He learned the hard way.

kovemaster559
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
There are some speakers that NEED their passive crossovers to function properly. A very reliable source once told me that the Memphis MCSQ tweeters would load up and spontaneously make your ears bleed if ran active. He learned the hard way.

blood is good when it comes from the ear. that is just built in wax

kovemaster559
06-30-2008, 12:21 PM

just sell the3 tweets and buy your self some good tweets.. and run active

WhoSayWho?
06-30-2008, 12:24 PM

What does load up mean? :confused:

Flipx99
06-30-2008, 12:27 PM
How in the hell would a driver know whether the signal is crossed analog or digitally?

Flipx99
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I have some Rainbow tweets that have never seen a passive crossover. I know they'll run active.

WhoSayWho?
06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I have some Rainbow tweets that have never seen a passive crossover. I know they'll run active.

Even if they load up?

BEAVER.989
06-30-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm merely passing along what I've heard. I never claimed to have experienced this for myself. Read post 5 in this thread, if you care to...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38718&highlight=mcsq+tweets

WhoSayWho?
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm merely passing along what I've heard. I never claimed to have experienced this for myself. Read post 5 in this thread, if you care to...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38718&highlight=mcsq+tweets

So in other words:

There are some speakers that NEED their passive crossovers to function properly. I once read a post on DIYMA where someone said that the Memphis MCSQ tweeters would load up and spontaneously make your ears bleed if ran active. He learned the hard way.

Flipx99
06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I am staying away from this one with a shrug. I don't have experience with that particular tweeter...and that is all I am saying.

WhoSayWho?
06-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Meh, just having a little fun. I don't know how it would make a difference, but I could certainly be wrong.

BEAVER.989
06-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Having not tried it, how can any of us know for sure? I agree it sounds strange... how would a passive network be any different than an active one?

... But on the other hand, this guy has pointed me in the right direction a time or two. I don't know. I wish I would have asked him about it.

Take it for what it worth, I guess...

DARKHART
06-30-2008, 03:44 PM
As stated before, it's prob more of a warranty issue because most user aren't experenced enough in the area of active setups to do it properly, thus they designed it to operate at it's best given a passive alignment. If no one has ever noticed Boston Acoustic's does the same thing with it's components as well:D:D:D

alphakenny1
06-30-2008, 06:56 PM
yea as stated a few times already, it's probably for warranty purposes since most users can't even comprehend the concept of going active. It shouldn't be a problem if you know what you are doing.

skydeaner
06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
There is nothing out of the ordinary in those crossovers, and nothing out of the ordinary in their tweeter design that would lead me to believe that you can't run them active or that it would cause any problems as long as you are using a steep slope and not crossing over too low

FoxPro5
07-01-2008, 12:27 PM
There is not one tweeter in existance that knows the difference between a signal filtered with a passive crossover network or an active crossover network, given it receives the same signal.

There is no "magic" in a passive crossover outside of a protection circuit which, in this case, is Rainbow's just cause in it's warning label.

If you're not sure, don't do it. Use the passive to be on the safe side.

jdawg
07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Why waste money on a componet set that includes corssovers if you are going to run active? Buy some woofers and tweeters from partsexpress/madisound/etc and save some money.

FoxPro5
07-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Why waste money on a componet set that includes corssovers if you are going to run active? Buy some woofers and tweeters from partsexpress/madisound/etc and save some money.

PE and Madisound don't sell Rainbow.

I was under the impression that the dude wants the Rainbow drivers but is intimidated by Rainbow's WARNING label.