PDA

View Full Version : Used 5/8's particle board, is this good?

Afboy143
06-01-2003, 09:49 AM
I built a box for 2 10's in a 5/8's particle board box with no divider in the middle. Was this a good idea or should i built another with a diff wood, will this wood stand the pressure with no supports or nething? Help! Thanks

Curtis

RMKrider1
06-01-2003, 12:36 PM
NO!!! Not good ;) Use at least 3/4 and I also would say use mdf instead of particle board

ss3079
06-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Afboy143
I built a box for 2 10's in a 5/8's particle board box with no divider in the middle. Was this a good idea or should i built another with a diff wood, will this wood stand the pressure with no supports or nething? Help! Thanks

Curtis

How much power will you be running?

Either way, I suggest you do it right and use 3/4" MDF...if it's a sealed box, a divider will help with bracing (prevents flexing).

Glue all of your joints with "Liquid Nails" or normal carpenters glue. Pre-drill your holes to prevent the MDF from splitting, and use screws. Run a bead of caulk/silicon around the inside seams/joints in your box to prevent any air leaks. I dont know if you are using wire terminals or not, but be sure to seal around that too (hot glue works). You can use screws to mount your subwoofers to the box, some people even use bolts. Use a piece of weather stripping around the subwoofer hole cutout...helps seal things off.

- Steve

chelopr
06-01-2003, 02:19 PM
No man

3/4 is better and your sub will work better with the separator, 5/8 generates vibration an distortion.

chelopr
P.R.

Afboy143
06-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Aight **** that sux, i have a reg cab s10 so i used that wood figuring it would save space. Will i notice a big diff using 3/4, like is it worth it to make another box, cuz if the box i have no is gonan distort im gonna dump it

ss3079
06-01-2003, 07:09 PM
You can always try it...but I bet that you will encounter some flexing.

- Steve

Afboy143
06-01-2003, 11:52 PM
What exactly is flexing

bigred78797
06-02-2003, 01:40 AM
Well flexing is basically the board moving back and forth. Basically if you take a sheet of paper and make a cube out of it, stick a straw in it and blow and ****. The paper will buckle and expand... that's what your wood might do... and you don't want that. If you are running less than 200 watts to each speaker i would worry about it too much unless you can actually see the box moving. Medium density Fiberboard is some thing too look into though because it's less porous. I know how u feel with the limited space cuz i got a standard cab s-10 too. but it's all good.

more_spl
06-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by chelopr
No man

3/4 is better and your sub will work better with the separator, 5/8 generates vibration an distortion.

chelopr
P.R. how does wood cause distortion?

Miller
06-02-2003, 09:34 PM
I really dont understand how you guys fit subs into your small Pick up trucks. When I look in my friends, I can't even imagine where the box would even fit. But hey, I bet you guys have your ways and know alot more about that then I do.

ss3079
06-02-2003, 09:35 PM
That is one of the biggest challenge's...SPL from a regular cab truck - without doing any seat modifications or box in the bed/blow through combo.

- Steve

bigred78797
06-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Excactly ss That's why im doing it so that people WILL FEEL THE WRATH OF THE ALMIGHTY S-10 STANDARD CAB PICKUP.

Afboy143
06-02-2003, 11:42 PM
lmao at big red

Well guys my boy and i were workin wit fiberglass today and its pretty easy accually, gotta get more pratice but we got it, we are gonna work on 2 inverted subs in the middle, and 1 sub behind each seat. Its gonna b bad ***, got everything jus need the box

abcdefg
06-02-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Miller
I really dont understand how you guys fit subs into your small Pick up trucks. When I look in my friends, I can't even imagine where the box would even fit. But hey, I bet you guys have your ways and know alot more about that then I do.

talk to rangerman about that, he crammed like 4 cubesout of his reg cab truck

ss3079
06-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by abcdefg
talk to rangerman about that, he crammed like 4 cubesout of his reg cab truck

Lol, have you seen the box with the Brahma? I dont think you'll want to drive around like that everyday;)

Though the new A box must be a little better.

- Steve