PDA

View Full Version : Want to put new speakers in car.

BryanHamade
06-22-2008, 02:23 AM
I am buying a Kenwood DDX712 to replace my current stock head unit.

I also want to change out my front door speakers as well. They are 6 3/4" speakers. What I am wondering are what speakers have really good sound quality without being overly expensive and do I need an amp to power new speakers or will the head unit suffice?

My back speakers are 6x9s btw. I plan to replace them as well down the line. Right now I just have money to put in a bad *** head unit and perhaps front speakers. I will get subs too in the next six months.

Flipx99
06-23-2008, 09:59 AM
What is overly expensive?

Not a big fan of HU powered comps. If budget is that tight, I'd get a cheaper CD player and a used amp.

dman4486
06-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Not a big fan of HU powered comps. If budget is that tight, I'd get a cheaper CD player and a used amp.

if money is an issue go with ^^^^^

if "maybe" or "not", then get a good set of comps and an amp to go with that hu and you will be very happy

BryanHamade
06-23-2008, 02:18 PM

I was just curious if I needed an amp or not. If I do which you say I do I will buy one along with comps. What are some really good ones That are under $250?

dman4486
06-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I was just curious if I needed an amp or not. If I do which you say I do I will buy one along with comps. What are some really good ones That are under $250?

you could be like everyone else and get the rsd's and an amp for way less than $250

MikeATL
06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I would plan on an amp as well for your main stage. I went the same route you're looking at and bought a new HU and components & 6x9s powered off the HU --> amp powering components & 6x9s in rear --> added a substage w/another amp.

I wasn't happy at all w/the way things sounded off the HU. When you're shelling out that much for speakers and a nice head unit give them what they need to shine. Getting a nice set of comps and a (2 or 4 - depending on if you want to drive your rears) channel amp for $250 that's 75X4 or better will be a challenge but doable. I spent about $350 on my main stage amp and front comps, and that doesn't count wiring and deadening (which I'd highly recommend).

If you're tight on budget, FlipX99's advice is pretty good. I would add to that to spend a couple of weeks on here doing research before you spend a dime and figure out what you want long term. There's a phenominal amount of knowledge here that's free for the taking!

BryanHamade
06-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I would plan on an amp as well for your main stage. I went the same route you're looking at and bought a new HU and components & 6x9s powered off the HU --> amp powering components & 6x9s in rear --> added a substage w/another amp.

I wasn't happy at all w/the way things sounded off the HU. When you're shelling out that much for speakers and a nice head unit give them what they need to shine. Getting a nice set of comps and a (2 or 4 - depending on if you want to drive your rears) channel amp for $250 that's 75X4 or better will be a challenge but doable. I spent about $350 on my main stage amp and front comps, and that doesn't count wiring and deadening (which I'd highly recommend).

If you're tight on budget, FlipX99's advice is pretty good. I would add to that to spend a couple of weeks on here doing research before you spend a dime and figure out what you want long term. There's a phenominal amount of knowledge here that's free for the taking!
Well I look at it as a six month project with the Kenwood being the first piece of the puzzle. Then an amp and speakers. If you guys were to pick two 6x9s and two 6 3/4" or smaller speakers with a good amp for $500 what would you pick and do you think that is too little of a budget?