PDA

View Full Version : which mufflers for my suburban?

Ridinhi
06-22-2008, 01:14 AM
I have a 1993 Suburban and am looking to get dual exhaust. I have heard many cars/trucks with Flowmasters and really like the sound of most. But I see many compliments on the Magnaflow mufflers. any one with any experiences with the two? Im looking for that deep sound when you get on it but not soo aggressive at idle. Which of the 2 mufflers and which series?

Buck
06-22-2008, 01:15 AM
no muffler ftw :D

Louisiana_CRX
06-22-2008, 01:18 AM
run straights.....

InhumanAcura
06-22-2008, 01:26 AM
borla

Coolwazabi
06-22-2008, 01:27 AM
flowmaster super 44

twisztdauthorit
smoke stacks ftw

regal8r
borla is ****.

hooker aerochambers FTMFW

Ridinhi
06-22-2008, 10:48 AM
smoke stacks ftw

haha,got to admit,that was funny:D

Ridinhi
06-22-2008, 10:50 AM
flowmaster super 44

have you actually heard these in person? I have heard them on the soundclip on Flowmasters website but im sure it depends on the vehicle.

FineLinePimpin
06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Flowmaster super 44's are ok..not enough of a differnce from all the other flowmasters that have been the same sounding in the 80's. The hooker aerochambers arent bad...pretty quiet at idle. Magnaflows come into version the oval case standard series and the round case" race" series which are louder. You are basically going to have to go to youtube and listen to trucks likes yours with different brand aftermarket exhaust set-ups

Ridinhi
06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Flowmaster super 44's are ok..not enough of a differnce from all the other flowmasters that have been the same sounding in the 80's. The hooker aerochambers arent bad...pretty quiet at idle. Magnaflows come into version the oval case standard series and the round case" race" series which are louder. You are basically going to have to go to youtube and listen to trucks likes yours with different brand aftermarket exhaust set-ups

thanks for the info

Buck
06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
straiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiights ftw. i'm tellin you mufflers won't beat straights

InhumanAcura
06-23-2008, 06:26 PM
borla is ****.

hooker aerochambers FTMFW

why is borla ****?

SethPhillips
06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
flow master delta 40

or get a heder back system with a x pipe.

mil81
06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I don't like the sound of Flo Masters. They are a straight aluminum chamber, which in my opinion makes them sound quite hollow. If I were going with that type of muffler I would go with the Borla as well.

Personally I like the Magnaflow, since they are a packed design they get a much deeper, throatier sound. I don't know much about either muffle at idle however.

And don't straight pipe a Chevy small block. It is ignorant loud, sounds like ***, and takes away from your motor's life.

FineLinePimpin
06-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Unless its an all out race car..you will make LESS power and TRQ a straight through exhaust IE no mufflers..its been dyno proven hundreds of times. The engine needs backpressure. IM not a flomaster fan myself...borla is ok but very expensive.

mil81
06-23-2008, 07:52 PM
No backpressure = Less horsepower
No Backpressure = Burned valves

Unless you are boosted. Then no backpressure is the way to go. Like my 4" turbo back. So loud, so nice.

speedfreak28
06-23-2008, 07:54 PM
i ran flowmaster and magnaflow on my old dodge ram, magnaflow by far beats flowmaster in product quality as well as sound, i had a 40 series on the truck and it screamed but didnt give much backpressure so you get that farting sound. i ran a magnaflow, and have never been happier. i put a magnaflw on my new truck and took the hooker aerochambers off my camar o and ran 3" magnaflow exhaust.

Buck
06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Unless its an all out race car..you will make LESS power and TRQ a straight through exhaust IE no mufflers..its been dyno proven hundreds of times. The engine needs backpressure. IM not a flomaster fan myself...borla is ok but very expensive.

not if you still hav cats. btw its illegal to take cats off so when someone says straight they usually mean from cats back

mil81
06-23-2008, 07:56 PM
not if you still hav cats. btw its illegal to take cats off so when someone says straight they usually mean from cats back

Even straight cats don't give much for back pressure. I wouldn't be comfortable running them. Not to mention as I stated before, small blocks sound like *** with straight pipes.

FineLinePimpin
06-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Yes actually if you still have cats and run no muffler you lose power. properly working high flow cat. conv only robs about 1-3hp. Not even noticeable in power delivery. Only reason i run a off road xpipe on my car is because its what was on there when i got it. Cats rob sound waaaaaaay more than hp. Yes it is illegal to just cut off cats but everyone does it. So oh well.