PDA

View Full Version : how 2 make this stop rattling

PolskaJetta
05-31-2003, 10:44 PM
all this is.. is a wood cut exacty so it fits over the tire well.. and carpet on top... how do i make it not rattle now.... Im think i will bult metal pieces across from one sided to another.. to hold down the wood...??? please give me ideas
http://groups.msn.com/2001Jetta18Turbo/jetta.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=20

MikeofTulsa
05-31-2003, 10:50 PM
ummm.....cant actually see that pic.....but sounds like your jus trying to secure a pice of wood over the tire well........u actually need to build a box in the tire well first.....there are several diff. ways to do this....and at that point u could easily attatch the wood to the box......

PolskaJetta
06-01-2003, 10:20 AM
o sorry.. there is a box under the piece of board. its 1'x1'x1'.

MikeofTulsa
06-01-2003, 06:27 PM
check out www.secondskinaudio.com get some sound deadener and line your trunk w/ it to stop the rattles.....

Matador
06-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Goddyd4me
check out www.secondskinaudio.com get some sound deadener and line your trunk w/ it to stop the rattles.....

if i understood right that prob wont work. the wood just bounces n makes rattles due to vibrations. if that's the case, get like foam,

http://www.foambymail.com/VolaraSP.html

you could check in there n see if tey have somethingl ike that.

basically, if u look at the floor of the trunk, underneath they put foam so it doesn't make noise when it bounces. n that's what you would need.

good luck

PolskaJetta
06-01-2003, 08:13 PM
that wood make sence but when i take a thick blanket and put it between the floor and the wood it still rattles

Trixter
06-06-2003, 11:06 AM
I used sound deadening on the trunk floor and then bolted the wood to the trunk floor. The spair tire well was cut out so it could be part of the box's volume. See my pics in my profile to get some ideas.

SPLThunder
06-06-2003, 11:10 AM
if your going to make your tire well a box first thing is install dampener to the well. Then Seal the wood to the metal with something.If it still rattles then it is probably something else rattling.