PDA

View Full Version : Prefab box I bought is crap, I need help!

simpsonbuck
06-20-2008, 02:17 AM
I put together a system for my Dad as a Father's day gift and I'm kinda disappointed with the results. I bought him a 10" Type R with a Alpine MRP-M500 that does 500@2ohms.

I ran the power(2 gauge) and ground and hooked up the rca cables and it all works perfectly....but sounds like it is being suffocated.

I have it in a MTX 0.85 cubic ft box sealed and it hits but has no resonance. It sounds like it's garbled.

I set all the gains correctly and adjusted his headunit for him.

So I went out and got 3 big sheets of 1" MDF from a friend and want to build him a new box.

It's going in a single cab 03 Ford F-150. I have max width 11 1/2" and length 2' to play with. Height is not a issue.

I was thinking maybe 1 cube after displacement would be best? I am horrible at math and if someone could help me out you'd be making a old man happy.

BTW, he listens to almost all classic rock.

Any help is appreciated.

jake21
06-20-2008, 04:28 AM
I put together a system for my Dad as a Father's day gift and I'm kinda disappointed with the results. I bought him a 10" Type R with a Alpine MRP-M500 that does 500@2ohms.

I ran the power(2 gauge) and ground and hooked up the rca cables and it all works perfectly....but sounds like it is being suffocated.

I have it in a MTX 0.85 cubic ft box sealed and it hits but has no resonance. It sounds like it's garbled.

I set all the gains correctly and adjusted his headunit for him.

So I went out and got 3 big sheets of 1" MDF from a friend and want to build him a new box.

It's going in a single cab 03 Ford F-150. I have max width 11 1/2" and length 2' to play with. Height is not a issue.

I was thinking maybe 1 cube after displacement would be best? I am horrible at math and if someone could help me out you'd be making a old man happy.

BTW, he listens to almost all classic rock.

Any help is appreciated.

My experience with my Rrghhss Is that they always love a bigger enclosure. and Espescially ported. Id say go at least 1.25 cubes and tuned to like 34 for that and you should be pretty happy.

Just my 2cents

jmanpc
06-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Definitely port the Arrrgh. They love the ported boxes :)

dragnix
06-20-2008, 04:34 AM
would an old man who listens to classic rock like the sound of the R?

simpsonbuck
06-20-2008, 07:36 AM
If you met him you would know. I get in the truck with him and tell him to turn it down.....and I like my music loud.

My box building skills are limited(this would be my first) so I'm not sure If ported is within my skill.

I had a hard enough time just finding out the net internal volume of a box I drew up and I'm sure it's not 100% right.

and by classic I mean AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest.....etc...

I guess that is classic to me(only 25).

Thanks.

simpsonbuck
06-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Definitely port the Arrrgh. They love the ported boxes :)

Do you know here I can get some designs?

I have the wood, jig saw, table saw, all the goodies. I'm just not very bright when it comes to even simple math.

I have dyslexia and it blows hard core.

95BlackGA
06-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Do you know here I can get some designs?

I have the wood, jig saw, table saw, all the goodies. I'm just not very bright when it comes to even simple math.

I have dyslexia and it blows hard core.

Go into the Enclosure Design sub-forum. There's a sticky there that has plans in there. They even have the measurements that are needed. Takes out a lot of work when using one of them.

simpsonbuck
06-20-2008, 07:55 AM
I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info.

simpsonbuck
06-20-2008, 08:08 AM
This would work perfect if the depth was not 15". He has a single cab and the max depth I can use is 13".

I can make it long(2ft) and tall but the depth is what is restricting me.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7482/125cubes32hz21sqin4qf.png

BuckyBoy
06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I can design and build one for you, or just design it if that's what you want.