PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy ULDF or trupan? Anyone here using it?

bikinpunk
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm trying to shave weight in my next install. Someone suggested looking into these options. None of my local stores sell it.

Also, how well does it hold up?

Any ideas for something lighter? Particularly for a false floor where I don't need as much rigidity as I do a sub wall?

lilmaniac2
06-18-2008, 11:42 AM
All of Bj Fisher's ( fisher custom's) boxes use trupan. I think his family owns a lumber yard so he gets it from them. It seems to hold up awesome for him :)

528hz
06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah I would love to try some Trupan out myself. I've been using Birch ply the last 4 boxes. Does anyone know where to get the stuff?

lilmaniac2
06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
for a false floor i would use 1/2" birch...

bikinpunk
06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Actually, on my current FF I"m using 1/4" MDF and it's fine. As long as things are braced well, there's no reason to have the extra thickness.

If I could find some 1/4" trupan that'd be great. Also, 1/2" for the doors, and (2) 3/4" for the IB wall and I'd be happy. But, that would get expensive FAST.

I did some searching and the only local places that I've been able to find so far are in Mobile and Memphis... over 4 hours at least from me. Trupan's site is horrible, btw.

mlstrass
06-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I was able to track down the US rep for Trupan and he gave me the names of a few local places that could get it. Don't remember his name, but I got it by calling the number on the Trupan site...

Mr Cabinetry
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
OK, I just burned up the phone lines calling around to find any and all information as to the Main Distributor that distributes Trupan MDF throughout the US.

The person I spoke to understood the context of the information I am trying to gather so I can pass it along here and else where given that many folks are making inquiry's as to where Trupan is sold.

So, hopefully in a few days ( maybe longer ) this person will be e-mailing me a compiled list of Companies that sell Trupan to lumber yards and other sellers.

duece212
06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
OK, I just burned up the phone lines calling around to find any and all information as to the Main Distributor that distributes Trupan MDF throughout the US.

The person I spoke to understood the context of the information I am trying to gather so I can pass it along here and else where given that many folks are making inquiry's as to where Trupan is sold.

So, hopefully in a few days ( maybe longer ) this person will be e-mailing me a compiled list of Companies that sell Trupan to lumber yards and other sellers.

Thats swell of you :D

I've yelled at home depot many times when they say they can order me some and never come through.

iamamp3pimp
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
ever used sandeply?

I have, it workd fine too.

350zspl
06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
i have like 6 ,BJ boxes all trupan

i like it alot

when left raw it looks a bit more consistant than MDF

i think it is more expensive than MDF

bigbirney420
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Its more money for sure, there is a specialty lumberyard here in Fort Worth where you can buy it. Its about 30.00 for 4x8 sheet vs 18.00 or so for regular 3/4 MDF.
35%+ lighter, much cleaner cuts, and no formaldehyde in it.

350zspl
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
and i think acoustically wise it is similar to mdf

bikinpunk
06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
The biggest difference is lightweight, and cost.

Cost isn't that big of a deal, depending on how much I can get.

I'll be waiting to hear back about the compiled list.