PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for location of box

dumple
06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
I plan on building a custom box in my 04 saturn ion redline, in the back seats there is a center console type of thing and i want to build a box to house two 8s. But on another forum a member pointed out that it would not be advisable to put the subs in a box in the middle of the interior of the cab. This is what was said to me

That's not a good place for a speaker, especially an 8". It will pull the sound stage back from the front, and make it impossible to get good imaging, and present all kinds of phasing issues. Plus a woofer will suffer from cancellation bigtime in the center, best place for a woofer is in a corner, that way it's impossible to loose output from cancellation due to reflected sound waves. The frequency response from a typical 8" is mostly in the midbass range, and would work best in the front doors, then you can mount the midrange drivers in kickpanels to get a more equal pathlength to avoid phasing problems. You should make a kustom amp rack there, that would be sweet.

BEAVER.989
06-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Some of what he said is true. The problem is that you and he are building two entirely different types of systems in your minds. While you're wanting to use 8" subs, he's talking about a 3-way front stage with 8" midbass.

In your case, I wouldn't worry about the stage being pulled back if we're talking about subwoofers, but he is right about getting more output and less cancellation by loading them in a corner.

Forget the notion that 8's are only for midbass. There are some very capable 8's on the market if that is the way you truly want to go.

dumple
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
yes thank you so i shouldnt have any problem building 8s into the back ill get a picture later and a very crude mock up on paint