PDA

View Full Version : Older Infinity Tweeters...4 ohm? 2 ohm???

EchoWars
06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
I have a set of Infinity Kappa 60cs speakers that were installed in my car about 8 years ago. This is the 'component' setup with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" tweeter with a crossover box. One of the tweeters is toasted after my head unit decided to commit suicide.

Harmon International says 'We quit making that tweeter in 2000'. Huh? Same year I bought them. I guess car stereo stuff is as disposable as the new junk at Best Buy, although I should not be surprised.

Anyway, even though the guy at Harmon says I cannot use anything else to replace the tweeter, I can't see any reason in the world why I can't use something like a new Kappa 10.7T tweeter to replace the old one. Thing is, it looks like the 10.7T is available in either 2 ohm or 4 ohm (Infinity website says 2 ohm, but there is a seller on eBay who clearly has a box with '4 ohm' marked on the outside).

So it looks like I have a choice. The original impedance rating of the Kappa 60cs system was 4 ohm, but that doesn't exactly tell me what the tweeter impedence might be. Is it possible that the original tweeter was 2 ohm, or should I trust my instincts and go for the 4 ohm 10.7T?

I appreciate the help guys...

2wheeler
06-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm sorry I can't help, but I'm watching this closely because I'm having the same problem with some Infinity 6800cs comps. One blown tweeter...

So bump it up to the top..

rc10mike
06-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Hook up a multimeter to the good one and see what ohms it reads then go from there.

EchoWars
06-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Removing the door panel on the side with the good one is a bloody last resort...I had hoped to resolve this to some degree without having to to go such lengths.

If no one knows, I guess assume they are 4 ohm.

James Bang
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
If removing a simple door panel is something you dread, then this might not be the hobby for you.

If your crossovers aren't in your doors, you can get the ohm load from the tweeter input with a DMM

EchoWars
06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Who said anything about a hobby? For me, it isn't. I just want the system to work and thought there might be some guys here who have enough experiance and been doing this long enough to remember these speakers. Or short of that, have an opinion as to whether 2 ohm tweeters in consumer-oriented component systems were a common thing 8 years ago.

Yeah, I dread removing door panels. I'd rather be under the hood.

2wheeler
06-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I gotta agree with Echo.. I love my car audio systems but as for a hobby.. IDK..

Whenever I get a new ride I get back into the audio stuff until the new ride is sounding good, then I'll watch from the sidelines until another new ride comes along..

Sooo, any suggestions on a good tweeter replacement for 4 ohm Infinity Comps??