PDA

View Full Version : Front stage and Comp speaker question

stylez777
06-17-2008, 04:06 AM
I have a pretty compact 2 door car (1999 sunfire) I am going to put 6.5 comps in the front doors and just run front stage (no rear fill) and 1 12" sub in the trunk.

My amp is 5 channel box spec it say it can push 4 x 130 and 1 x 400 at 4 ohms or 3 x 400 at 4ohms bridged.

I already got my sub picked out it's the comps that troubling me. I have about $150 i can spend (can prob stretch to $200) I've seen the PG rsd's plugged every where. For what i am looking to spend would that be the best choice without rear fill? I have heard the cross over are not the best and are limited to 0db and -3 only. is there a better option in my budget range that might be a better choice and would work with the power i am working with outta my amp? or is the RSD the way to go? thanks in advance for any help.

dumple
06-17-2008, 04:19 AM
what amp is that?

dumple
06-17-2008, 04:20 AM
i think ud be happy with the rsds most people are

James Bang
06-17-2008, 04:22 AM
I'd like to know what amp that is also. 4 x 130 @ 4 ohms is pretty wild.

dumple
06-17-2008, 04:26 AM
I'd like to know what amp that is also. 4 x 130 @ 4 ohms is pretty wild.

plus 1 x 400

if its a good quality amp i might find one and buy it right now that is perfect for my projected system for the summer

James Bang
06-17-2008, 04:27 AM
I'd like to know the 2 ohm ratings as well.

dumple
06-17-2008, 04:29 AM
hey i sent you a pm james

James Bang
06-17-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm hoping those specs are MAX ratings.

dumple
06-17-2008, 04:54 AM
i dunno it might be a great amp for an all in one or might be a pos boss amp

stylez777
06-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey the amp is a Earthquake Extreme Bass A/B amplifier model 900w.5 The max output is rated at 1800w. RMS it is rated 4x130 1x400 at 4 ohms and 4x240 1x500 at 2ohms http://www.earthquakesound.com/xtreme.htm

Now I know that things are not always perfect to what they are rated but the amp is pretty heavy duty with 2 built in turbo cooling fans and voltage meter readings on the front. I know 2 or 3 people in my area who has them and there system cranks loud.

My whole confusion is if i go with the RSD's and i decide to go the bridged path and the amp does get close to the 3 x 400 rms how much can the speakers really handle? (i know they are rated 60 rms but do handle alot more power) That why i was curious if there was a better choice out there with int he $200 range that is worth it over the RSD's. That why i was looking for some suggestions

PaulD
06-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Use that amp to run full actice

stylez777
06-18-2008, 12:45 AM
so out of 87 views nobody can reccomend anything that is better then the RSD's in the $200 range?

stylez777
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
To throw in some more info most of the music I listen too is of the hard rock/rock genre (Metallica, Korn, Godsmack, Distrubed etc etc) once in a blue moon will throw on some hip-hop/rap or techno.

I've been to a few dealers in my area and surfice to say these people are morons! I am not too inteligent when it comes to car audio yet i know 3 times as much as these people. I go in asking about certain speaker (Rainbow, Hertz Focal etc) then they procede to tell me these speakers are over priced and that they carry the best (then try to sell me low budget speakers). So taking these peoples opinions is useless.

So after going to about 10 dealers with none of them carrying any brand that isn't mainstream (alpine, infinity, pioneer, kicker) I cannot hear these other speakers people talk so much about.

I know i cannot afford Rainbows. The Hertz HSK165 i can't seem to find for sale in my area or online (well 1 listing on ebay). Focal is also outta my price range. So i know I seen tons of people saying how they love the RSD's and for under $100 seems to be great buy but I believe you get what you pay for. That why i was looking for some reccomendations to fit in my $200 budget that prob woudl work best for the type of music I listen too.

headless
06-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Want alternative advice? spring for the rainbows...the SAC's are between 200 and if i recall correctly..the cal-25's are really nice tweets (i used to have a pair in my germanium set, which i recommend btw) and the woofers are supposed to be nice from what i've read. The passive x-over's have 4 levels of attenuation for the tweets and i think have bi-amp capable inputs for tw/woofers.

gobulls32
06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Your numbers are pretty legit. Earthquake makes some seriously powerful home theater amps. Good stuff.

stylez777
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Want alternative advice? spring for the rainbows...the SAC's are between 200 and if i recall correctly..the cal-25's are really nice tweets (i used to have a pair in my germanium set, which i recommend btw) and the woofers are supposed to be nice from what i've read. The passive x-over's have 4 levels of attenuation for the tweets and i think have bi-amp capable inputs for tw/woofers.

Where can i find the SAC 265.25NG in the $200 range? I havent seen them for less then $300. Seen there is a SAC 265.25NG kick version aswell have no idea what the difference is between the two.

stylez777
06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Anyone have an experience with DLS or Cadence brands?

I'd love to get Rainbows but having trouble locating to get a good price on a set. Same goes for the Hertz HSK 165 can't seem to find those anywhere for sale (even ebay doesn't have any). Anyone have an suggestions on tracking some down?

donpisto
06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I had the DLS Iridum 6.2's in an active setup. They sounded nice. The tweeter needed some tuning, a little bright for my taste for a fabric tweeter. Mids lacked some mid bass, but they are known to have a distinct sound, "warm" as what others refer to it as, and that's probably why it lacked midbass. I'd take the DLS over the Cadence for sure, even though I haven't heard the Cadence, I doubt the quality will match up to the DLS.

stylez777
06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Are the DLS quality up and down the line? I've seen they had some high end stuff. I was looking more like the Reference MS6A as an option. Also some had reccomended the Alpine SPX -17REF that i could get those for under $200 and they were well worth the money. Not sure how these stack up?

This is starting to get very difficult to choose, with the multidue of options and the limited availability of certain brands and my price restricion.

donpisto
06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Not sure what you mean about the DLS quality being up and down the line. I have no experience with the Reference line. Sorry I can't help out further :(

stylez777
06-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Not sure what you mean about the DLS quality being up and down the line. I have no experience with the Reference line. Sorry I can't help out further :(

Ya i just ment it like I know some companys will put out a great product for the top end stuff and then throw out some junk in the mid to lower end product. Where other companies put out a great product in all around from top to bottom.

I just want the best bang for my dollar, since im not experienced with a multitude of speakers.

donpisto
06-19-2008, 11:03 PM
PG RSD's seem to have a good rave and worth the money you pay for them. I was thinking of getting the UR6 from DLS, but found a good deal on a used set for the Iridiums.

stylez777
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
ya i know the rave about the PG rsd's and i know i can get a pair for $95. I just fig If I can spend $200 to say $225 there has to be something better and might as well spend the more money and get a better set. I know i've got people telling me get rainbows or hertz and trust me i'd love to but like i said I don't know who sells them or where i cna get a good deal on them...

I looke dup those DLS iridiums too and those were way outta my budget. It seems I can find speakers for less then what i have to spend and alot more then what i have to spend. Just can't find a set in the range I have to spend