PDA

View Full Version : Fleshing out the setup with extra midbass

WheresTheButta
06-16-2008, 09:23 AM
I posted a while back asking for suggestions on a 6.5" component set in the $500 range. The only ones that were suggested that I heard in person were a set of focals - I liked the detail alot, but was unimpressed with the output level. I decided to go with my original choice of JL ZR 6.5" comps, and I'm very pleased with how well they keep up with my SI magnum at high volumes. More impressed at how they stay so crisp (some call it harsh but I like metal domes) at such extremely high volumes.

There is one problem: crossing them over at 60 hz just isn't going to work. I decided i'm going to take some stress off them and cross them over at 150hz, and pick up another set of drivers to handle 60-150 hz. I'm thinking about two possible setups: dual 6.5" drivers in the back of the car @ stock locations, or a single 8" driver in a custom fiberglass kick that I'd have to make.

Maybe a pair of RE XXX 6.5", or a single sounsplinter RL-P 8"??
Any ideas?

headless
06-16-2008, 10:59 AM
My advice, spend more on your front stage than 500$, then you don't need multiple drivers and amps for midbass/midrange/highs. Like a set of power line CS :)
Less sources of audio is better. If you spent as much up front on your amp and speakers for the fronts as you're looking at spending now in total including what you've already bought and intend to buy...you'd have a better sound and plenty of volume.

WheresTheButta
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Power Line CS's are nice but not what I was looking for, Power Line CS's + an amp that can power them properly will run well over $1500 - that was double my budget.
I will also say that if you cross the power line CS's over at 150 hz and get a dedicated driver for 50-150 hz they could go louder without distortion, so I'll stick with my preference of a seperate mid-bass driver.
I digress. - I'm not going to compete with this setup, so imaging and soundstage setup aren't a priority for me. My goal is a simple one: to be able to hear every frequency equally, at a volume that is loud enough for my tastes. I want to achieve this with moderate/good tonal quality and no distortion. So far I'm 3/4 of the way there - now can anyone help me with the last 1/4?

WheresTheButta
06-16-2008, 02:57 PM
bump. Anyone have any suggestions?

headless
06-16-2008, 06:30 PM
ok, if you say so...just be aware that the power line cs get loud enough to be painful and deafening without distorting, and when crossed over @ 63hz/24db. If you were crazy enough to cross them over at 80hz, they would not be 'louder', they'd be dangerous...150hz for these speakers would be stupid, the tweeters would be excessively pushed before the woofers even started breathing hard. I think you've not seen these in action if you think they need to be crossed over at 150hz to get louder.

By the time you are done buying multiple amps and speakers, you'll have hit close enough to that cost anyway. I spent less than 1200 on my amp and power line CS's combined; with 2 amps, 2 sets of speakers, you'll be looking at that much anyway if they are decent speakers and reasonable amplifiers - which they need to be, if you intend to match a very loud substage. Furthermore, without good processing you're going to lose perceived volume at some frequencies due to phase conflicts between that many drivers unless they are installed carefully. Good luck! What is your exact sub amp and subwoofer configuration?

WheresTheButta
08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
sorry I haven't been on in so long, i've been really busy lol.
So yeah, I have a cadence daytona 1000x1 driving a 12" SI Mag in a 1.3" sealed enclosure fiberglassed into the side of the trunk. It's actually nowhere near as loud as I'd like it to be, my previous system was 3 JL 10w6 (old kind) and although it was loud, they took up too much space in the trunk and I couldn't get to my spare tire.. plus having a box is a no-no if you want it to look clean for a car show. The box is finished with stock carpet, and I have a fake wall that I can put in to cover the amps for taking it to shows.

tcguy85
08-22-2008, 07:42 PM
go 3-way, and do it right.

loud, but clean sounding mid-bass is the hardest thing to achieve in a car.