PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Port, help needed

DDSC
06-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Ok heres the wammy, just got a dd9518g that im going to be running off 1 Sundown audio 1500d for now, steping up to 2 later on, now I want
to do the box sub facing back with the port firing the hole behind the armrest, if you go to 3:07 in this vid you would see what im talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czc4cgX_yWM

Im trying to go with around 5.5 cu. ft including sub and port displacement but the thing is to port the box like that I would need a "floating port" because the bottom of the armrest thingy is about 2 in. above the floor of the trunk. Could this be done with no ill affects on the sound, compared to where the sub would be I dont think theres any reason to have to bend the port, Ill be back with measurements on the armrest hole in a min but I was thinking about making it so that I could seal that door up real good and the box could go from ported to sealed and back without me ever getting out of the car

dman4486
06-15-2008, 04:21 PM
questions

what happened to that surround?

why does your 2000wrms look more like 200wrms (excursion)?

Mr Cabinetry
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Ok heres the wammy, just got a dd9518g that im going to be running off 1 Sundown audio 1500d for now, steping up to 2 later on, now I want
to do the box sub facing back with the port firing the hole behind the armrest, if you go to 3:07 in this vid you would see what im talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czc4cgX_yWM

Im trying to go with around 5.5 cu. ft including sub and port displacement but the thing is to port the box like that I would need a "floating port" because the bottom of the armrest thingy is about 2 in. above the floor of the trunk. Could this be done with no ill affects on the sound, compared to where the sub would be I dont think theres any reason to have to bend the port, Ill be back with measurements on the armrest hole in a min but I was thinking about making it so that I could seal that door up real good and the box could go from ported to sealed and back without me ever getting out of the car

It has been my experience that only doing a port into the cabin of vehicle creates all sorts of cancelation issues because you are effectively separating the frequency or the subwoofer ( f3 ) from the port tuning frequency ( Fb ).

I've only build 4 enclosure's such and each time the customer didn't like the bass response one d@mn bit and they end up closing of the port and putting it within the same space the subwoofer was.

DDSC
06-15-2008, 05:11 PM
The hole is 8" wide and 11" tall

questions

what happened to that surround?

why does your 2000wrms look more like 200wrms (excursion)?

The surround was like that when I got it (used)

Its a Hifonics on stock electrical from 1996 and the box is wayyy to small for that sub AND my bass settings are turned all the way down because my insides cant keep up with the bass:crap: but the sub amp and wire is gone and Im redoing with Kicker hyperflex 0 gauge (got) the 9518g (got but blown) and a Saz1500d with 1 extra batt to start off then I wont mess with the substage anymore till I redo my components:greedy:

DDSC
06-15-2008, 05:14 PM
It has been my experience that only doing a port into the cabin of vehicle creates all sorts of cancelation issues because you are effectively separating the frequency or the subwoofer ( f3 ) from the port tuning frequency ( Fb ).

I've only build 4 enclosure's such and each time the customer didn't like the bass response one d@mn bit and they end up closing of the port and putting it within the same space the subwoofer was.

hmmm food for thought, so now what:( I want to get that hatchback/suv loudness out of my trunk car without walling and i dont know how to glass yet

DDSC
06-15-2008, 05:35 PM
how many and what size, lenth areo ports would you guys suggest and are the in or out of the box???

hrtbrk1
06-15-2008, 05:44 PM
w8 wut...ports facing forward is bad?

DDSC
06-16-2008, 01:59 AM
how many and what size, lenth areo ports would you guys suggest and are the in or out of the box???

nobody:confused: