PDA

View Full Version : Final Fiberglass Step

I8AYellowCrayon
05-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Ok, I understand everything to buliding a fiberglass system now except for the very last step, paint! I want to have my system have the sleek metallic paint job shine to it. Now my only problem is now that i have 6-7 layers of fiberglass done, what do i do next for my paint? I know I have to paint it with primer at some point too but when and how many coats. Also what kind of paint do I use for painting the fiberglass and how many coats. Where can I also purchase this paint? Is there any other paint products I need to put on my fiberglass enclosure so it shines like I see it at car shows and what not? What is it and once again, how many coats? What order am I supposed to do this all in too? Thanks, I appreciate your time.
later

mgaidica
05-29-2003, 05:14 PM
although im not familiar with the paint part.. i know that u need it totally smooth, and some like to use bondo and SANDING a lot to make it picture perfect.. i remember someone saying the paint to use but i wouldnt wanna recomend anything bad...

evo2k3
05-30-2003, 12:32 AM
bondo to smooth it out....then take it to an auto body shop to be painted (or a marine painting shop where they gel coat (very shiney, used on boats)).

MikeofTulsa
05-30-2003, 12:36 AM
or you could jus use some high build poly primer (to fill in the rough spots after bondo and sanding, if u have any) then sand that smooth.......several layers of paint........final clear coat.......wet sand between coats.....apply several thick layers of clear coat and you should be good to go....

ramos
05-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Painting requires more sanding than anything. You have to sand your work completely baby butt smooth. Every tiny little imperfection will show otherwise. High build primer is a must. Also if you have any really rough spots that need filling. You can use the milkshake method. Mix resin and body filler until you have a mixture the consistancy of a milk shake. Then pour it over your surface. And use a plastic body filer spatula to smooth it out. Also when your using body filler. If you use a " cheese grater " type body file to knock down the ridges before the filler starts to harden completely. You will save yourself a butt load of time and sandpaper. ;)

If you have a compressor it's pretty easy to paint yourself. Just remember to wear a respirator and old clothes. And mask everything off you don't want painted. And no matter what method you use make sure you use light layers of paint. :)

ramos
05-30-2003, 11:01 AM
oops..... as for the type of paint. The two and three part automotive paints work the best, and have the longest life. :)

maylar
05-30-2003, 01:08 PM
Base coat / clear urethane automotive paint. They don't come premixed in a spray can, you gotta mix and spray. Use 3 good wet coats of clear, and when it's dry sand it flat with 1200 grit. Then buff to a high gloss with a power polisher and compound. It's just like painting a car...

ramos
05-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by maylar
Base coat / clear urethane automotive paint. They don't come premixed in a spray can, you gotta mix and spray. Use 3 good wet coats of clear, and when it's dry sand it flat with 1200 grit. Then buff to a high gloss with a power polisher and compound. It's just like painting a car...

You can get them sometimes. THe auto paint store I go to will charge aerosol cans with the excess paint and sell it. It's not any cheaper really than buying it and ,mixing it yourself though. :)

maylar
05-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Mighty short shelf life... Catalyzed paints like Urethanes and Epoxies will cure in the can once the hardener is mixed. My local paint store will only mix enamels and laquers in rattle-cans.

There is a nifty little spray gun made by PreVal that people without an air compressor can use.. cheap too. It uses compressed air in a can - kinda like a spray can that you can mix yourself. They do a great job from what I hear.

ramos
06-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by maylar
Mighty short shelf life... Catalyzed paints like Urethanes and Epoxies will cure in the can once the hardener is mixed. My local paint store will only mix enamels and laquers in rattle-cans.

There is a nifty little spray gun made by PreVal that people without an air compressor can use.. cheap too. It uses compressed air in a can - kinda like a spray can that you can mix yourself. They do a great job from what I hear.

Real short shelf life. They charge the cans for you while you wait.

Harbor freight sells the reusable aerosol cans. I haven't really played with one yet. :)

I8AYellowCrayon
06-06-2003, 11:42 PM
I checked autozone and they have no autobody paint as surprising as that may seem since everyone has been telling me autozone. yeah i went two by me and neither had any. where do peop suggest i go for the paint besides autozone but still a major chain company? That or if you are from the Baltimore area, what local places can i go to?

maylar
06-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Best place for automotive paint is a professional shop that does nothing else. It's not just the materials you'll want, it's the tech help and advice. Look in your yellow pages.

But if you insist on buying paint from someone who also sells mufflers, then go to your local NAPA... they handle Martin Seynor auto paints.