PDA

View Full Version : Revised plans

arizona
06-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Well on my first attempt at designing it I had the port length right but I was measuring it wrong. I took one of the free box plans and re wrote all the values to what I need them to be to show my plans. So some of the proportions are a bit off but it should show my point.

I get 30" for port length this time because the box is 25" deep so subtract .75 for the back wall and get 24.25". Now since the port is 5.75" wide subtract that from 24.25" to get how long the first port wall should be = 18.5". Then I subtracted .75 for the front wall and .75 for the port 2 wall and got 17" for the actual piece of MDF. 24.25"- 18.5" = 5.75. Then divide that by 2 for the middle point of the port= 2.875. Add that to 18.5 and get 21.375".

Now for the second port wall I took my total target length of 30" and subtracted 21.375 to get how much more I needed. 8.625" is how much more is needed. From that subtract 2.875" for the middle point of the port. You get 5.75". So the length of the second port wall would be 5.75".

The picture should show everything if my wording of all of that confused you. Before I was getting my port length as wall 1 + wall 2, so it was pretty far off. Anyways after sub and port displacement I get 5.86 cu ft tuned to 33.49 hz.

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/486/finishedgt0.png

It would be great if someone could look it over and make sure I am doing the port length and displacement right this time. Thanks.

WALKS UP
06-13-2008, 11:55 PM
MS Paint FTW

arizona
06-14-2008, 12:27 AM
MS Paint FTW
It works....

Anyways...anyone know if I did this correct this time. I am pretty sure. I just got off the phone with Home Depot and the guy told me they would cut a sheet up for me if I brought them a cut sheet at no extra cost :D. I just need to make sure this is all correct before I go buy a sheet and have it cut up :S

PV Audio
06-14-2008, 01:02 AM
That reeks of moe lester.

arizona
06-14-2008, 01:09 AM
I said I took his free plans and edited them... I was just too lazy to make my own box model. I came up with all the dimensions and **** tho :)

BrianChia
06-14-2008, 01:11 AM
It works....

Anyways...anyone know if I did this correct this time. I am pretty sure. I just got off the phone with Home Depot and the guy told me they would cut a sheet up for me if I brought them a cut sheet at no extra cost :D. I just need to make sure this is all correct before I go buy a sheet and have it cut up :S

HD will do almost all the cuts for you now, but expect +/- 1/8"-1/2" depending on who does them and how careful they are. If you want to help them help you I would suggest that you go ahead and the draw the lines on panel which will help reduce their rate of error. Remember to account for the kerf width and indicate which side of the line to cut on.

Usually I just have them cut the wood so it will fit in my car, leaving 1-2" of overhang for each piece, then I use my own saw to cut each piece to the right size. The scraps are them useful to use for bracing or building other things.

arizona
06-14-2008, 01:13 AM
I don't have a table saw or anything to cut them on...