PDA

View Full Version : What does running "active" mean?

RCobra07
06-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I hope this is not too stupid of a question, but what exactly does this mean?

hoxie08
06-12-2008, 07:58 PM
i kind of know, but i'd rather not tell you information if i'm not 100% correct lol, but LOTS of people do know so i'll let one of them chime in...

jmanpc
06-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Each speaker has its own amp channel, and the frequencies they receive are filtered with an electronic active crossover, either external, or in the head unit. There are no passive crossovers involved.

hoxie08
06-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Hell, I think its something to do with running each component on their own crossover or something, like instead of using the crossover that comes with component sets, you have each thing on a different channel crossover-ed separately.... something like that? lol

edit: i was kinda close lol..

hrtbrk1
06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
yeah that sounds right...but im not too sure with these 2

Rawr-DQ
06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Active crossover is done digitally//signal is processed then sent to amps, passive crossover is done after amplified.

o.O

Rawr-DQ
06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146726

RCobra07
06-12-2008, 08:09 PM
LOL, I don't feel so bad now:D Thanks for the replies. I am picking up my car tomorrow and found out that the stock HU crosses the output's directly from the HU itself, so I am kind of stuck I guess...not sure really how my installer handled this, but I am def gonna find out. Kind of ***** to buy a set of speakers with an expensive crossover only to have it not be used. I am sure there is some reason alot of people are doing this though.

RCobra07
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146726

Thanks man, you should really try posting sometime, your numbers are a little low:D

alxmlr789
06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
:search: :search: :search:

There is TONS of information on this site about what active is.

reid1boys
06-12-2008, 08:28 PM
LOL, I don't feel so bad now:D Thanks for the replies. I am picking up my car tomorrow and found out that the stock HU crosses the output's directly from the HU itself, so I am kind of stuck I guess...not sure really how my installer handled this, but I am def gonna find out. Kind of ***** to buy a set of speakers with an expensive crossover only to have it not be used. I am sure there is some reason alot of people are doing this though.

People do it because it allows you to tailor the sound to how YOU want it. i can set the crossover frequency for the tweeters at what i want, then the mids at the frequency I want, then the sub at the frequency I want. The crossover lso has output gain for each amplifier which allows more control.

Correct me someone if I am wrong, but setting the crossover frequency BEFORE the signal is amplified results in a cleaner sound.

You would need 3 amps(Im assuming each amp is a 2 channel amplifier) to run this setup. One dedicated amplifier for your tweeters, 1 for your mids, and one for your subs.

I am amazed people are still running passive systems.

Macklessdaddy
06-12-2008, 08:44 PM
People do it because it allows you to tailor the sound to how YOU want it. i can set the crossover frequency for the tweeters at what i want, then the mids at the frequency I want, then the sub at the frequency I want. The crossover lso has output gain for each amplifier which allows more control.

Correct me someone if I am wrong, but setting the crossover frequency BEFORE the signal is amplified results in a cleaner sound.

You would need 3 amps to run this setup. One dedicated amplifier for your tweeters, 1 for your mids, and one for your subs.

I am amazed people are still running passive systems.

You don't NEED 3 amps

reid1boys
06-12-2008, 09:13 PM
You don't NEED 3 amps

If you have a 4 channel amp, but you need a separate channel for each speaker.

6 speakers...... you need 6 channels of amplification.

Had to fix that. sorry

James Bang
06-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I knew what active meant. Then this thread came along.

Macklessdaddy
06-12-2008, 09:20 PM

6 speakers...... you need 5 channels of amplification.

I know this,but the o.p doesn't and you might have had him purchase 3 amps

RCobra07
06-12-2008, 09:35 PM

6 speakers...... you need 5 channels of amplification.

not sure i understand 5 channels for 6 speakers unless of course you are stating 1 channel for sub. but in a typical f/r/sub config, i would assume you need 8 channels for 2 sets of components plus a sub channel, so 9 total channels in that case or 7 in a front component, rear coax, sub config?

reid1boys
06-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I know this,but the o.p doesn't and you might have had him purchase 3 amps

I went back and edited my original post. Sometimes things seem so simple that my explanation may have confused some. I hope it did not confuse anyone.

FoxPro5
06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Re: What does running "active" mean?

More $$$$$ :crying:

JDBoogie
06-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Is it still considered being "Active" if your using the x-overs built into the amp? I thought the signal going to the amp needed to be "filtered" before it hit the amp to be considered active... :confused:

Example:
Channels 1&2 are crossed over at a certain freq for the mds only and channels 3&4 are crossed over to play tweeter freqs.

The only benifit i see in this setup is the removal of the passive x-over...

mokedaddy
06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Is it still considered being "Active" if your using the x-overs built into the amp? I thought the signal going to the amp needed to be "filtered" before it hit the amp to be considered active... :confused:

Example:
Channels 1&2 are crossed over at a certain freq for the mds only and channels 3&4 are crossed over to play tweeter freqs.

The only benifit i see in this setup is the removal of the passive x-over...

Yes its still considered active although it can be hard to tell exact x-over frequency. The benefit is the increased tuning capabilities.

PaulD
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
passive networks also rob a certain percentage of the amp power fed into them