PDA

View Full Version : slot vs aero for space

fatryan
06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
which would be better when space is limited? im thinking aero would take up less.

yunvme666
06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
yea you can do it for space reasons,, but after i did that i wound up using them external anyways so space wasnt much of a problem, just didnt want an 11-12cf gross box either tho....

hoxie08
06-10-2008, 10:46 PM
aero does take up MUCH less space.

arizona
06-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I asked the same question and got a pretty lengthy debate on it...its a good read though.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320207

bumpin buick
06-10-2008, 10:51 PM
aero does take up MUCH less space.

only if they are used internally but it seems like half the people use them external

yunvme666
06-10-2008, 10:53 PM
yea it looks weird every ones just like wow wtf, and get this big smile...lol.... but i like aeros they were the easyest db gain i baught...lol....

fatryan
06-10-2008, 11:19 PM
well i think that settles it lol. anyone wanna design me a box for my 2 Fi Q's?

PV Audio
06-11-2008, 12:22 AM
which would be better when space is limited? im thinking aero would take up less.It entirely depends. Aeros, in general, do take up less space. The caveat is this: a 6" aero has 28.27 sq in of port area, while a 6" square has 36" of port area. With a 20" long port each, the 6" aero takes up 565.5 cubic inches, and using .75" MDF, the rectangular takes up 1125 sq in of port volume. Looks good for the aero, right? Not necessarily. While it may not seem that great, the difference in port area makes an astounding difference. This is why: the port tuning formula is based on port area, port length and enclosure volume. A 15x25x15 enclosure with 56.5sq in of port area via aeros is tuned to 57.58hz, with a net internal volume of ~1.7-1.8 cubes. However, if you use a normal slot port, a 13.5x4" port gives you 54 sqin of port area, nets you over 1.8 cubes, and tunes at 56.8hz.

Let's look at a more significant example:
18x35x18 enclosure
3" wide slot port gives you 49.5 sq in of port, 35hz tune, and 4.5-4.6 cubes.

4 4" aeros gives you 50sq in of port, 35hz tune, and a bit under 4.5 cubes.

Essentially, there is very little difference. If you put the port externally, you net a great advantage for the aero. By physics alone, aeros are louder as well, BUT, slot ports are effectively free and the benefits of an aero are only there if the port is flared. You can gain similar advantages, again, for free, by bending the port. It comes down to the budget, goals and personal preference. If going for sheer output, aeros are your friends. For daily, slot port is almost always the best choice.

PV Audio
06-11-2008, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't doubt if some of my numbers are off because I'm tired as ****, but they're ball park numbers that do the job just fine after rudimentary calculations.

DBDesignsElite
06-11-2008, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't doubt if some of my numbers are off because I'm tired as ****, but they're ball park numbers that do the job just fine after rudimentary calculations.We all are off a little bit sometimes. lol. :crap: Point has been made though.

Its all in application here.

fatryan
06-11-2008, 12:31 AM
It entirely depends. Aeros, in general, do take up less space. The caveat is this: a 6" aero has 28.27 sq in of port area, while a 6" square has 36" of port area. With a 20" long port each, the 6" aero takes up 565.5 cubic inches, and using .75" MDF, the rectangular takes up 1125 sq in of port volume. Looks good for the aero, right? Not necessarily. While it may not seem that great, the difference in port area makes an astounding difference. This is why: the port tuning formula is based on port area, port length and enclosure volume. A 15x25x15 enclosure with 56.5sq in of port area via aeros is tuned to 57.58hz, with a net internal volume of ~1.7-1.8 cubes. However, if you use a normal slot port, a 13.5x4" port gives you 54 sqin of port area, nets you over 1.8 cubes, and tunes at 56.8hz.

Let's look at a more significant example:
18x35x18 enclosure
3" wide slot port gives you 49.5 sq in of port, 35hz tune, and 4.5-4.6 cubes.

4 4" aeros gives you 50sq in of port, 35hz tune, and a bit under 4.5 cubes.

Essentially, there is very little difference. If you put the port externally, you net a great advantage for the aero. By physics alone, aeros are louder as well, BUT, slot ports are effectively free and the benefits of an aero are only there if the port is flared. You can gain similar advantages, again, for free, by bending the port. It comes down to the budget, goals and personal preference. If going for sheer output, aeros are your friends. For daily, slot port is almost always the best choice.
well this IS for daily. will aeros f*ck up the SQ? they sure sound like theyll be better. and theres a possibility that i could do external. depends on design.

PV Audio
06-11-2008, 12:31 AM
We all are off a little bit sometimes. lol. :crap: Point has been made though.

Its all in application here.:thumbsup:

PV Audio
06-11-2008, 12:37 AM
well this IS for daily. will aeros f*ck up the SQ? they sure sound like theyll be better. and theres a possibility that i could do external. depends on design.No, aeros don't **** up the SQ, they allow you to get louder. That's what I meant. Round aka cylindrical passages are inherently more efficient than any other shape. It's merely simple fluids. Rectangles naturally cause compression which lowers the efficiency of the port, aka, you end up with less output. There's a reason why people don't use rectangular plumbing or rectangular exhausts; smooth flowing passages always allow for better performance. All the flare does is allows you to taper off the resistance (this following statement is as unscientific as it gets, so don't bash me for it) so that the air exiting the port isn't "shocked" when it emerges and causes chuffling aka port noise. The flare allows you to disperse any compression smoothly, thus eliminating or reducing port noise, which consequently allows you to use a smaller port cross section which THEN gives you a gain in net volume.

BrianChia
06-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Also aero ports have thinner walls. :)

PV Audio
06-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Also aero ports have thinner walls. :)Douche! I mean touche :D

AudioXtremes
06-11-2008, 10:43 AM
You also dont need as much sq. inches of port with aeros.

PV Audio
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
You also dont need as much sq. inches of port with aeros.I like your city, could be the best in the country :D

fatryan
06-11-2008, 07:40 PM
No, aeros don't **** up the SQ, they allow you to get louder. That's what I meant. Round aka cylindrical passages are inherently more efficient than any other shape. It's merely simple fluids. Rectangles naturally cause compression which lowers the efficiency of the port, aka, you end up with less output. There's a reason why people don't use rectangular plumbing or rectangular exhausts; smooth flowing passages always allow for better performance. All the flare does is allows you to taper off the resistance (this following statement is as unscientific as it gets, so don't bash me for it) so that the air exiting the port isn't "shocked" when it emerges and causes chuffling aka port noise. The flare allows you to disperse any compression smoothly, thus eliminating or reducing port noise, which consequently allows you to use a smaller port cross section which THEN gives you a gain in net volume.sweetness, i think im building a aero ported box now

soloXgt
06-11-2008, 07:45 PM
plus by using externay aeros, you can play with the tunig by changing the lentghs. someone correct me if i am wrong

mr_kebo
06-11-2008, 07:49 PM
plus by using externay aeros, you can play with the tunig by changing the lentghs. someone correct me if i am wrong

Correct.

yunvme666
06-11-2008, 07:54 PM
i use external just to keep down on box volume i already got like 7.8 gross or something, i kinda like it for the fact of it tuned lower outside w/o having to extend the ports ..... i was lazy....lol...

soloXgt
06-11-2008, 07:57 PM
and looks cool too. don't see a whole lot ot external aeros here

yunvme666
06-11-2008, 08:05 PM
atleast for daily, hell it does ez 148s ill leave it for now ......

fatryan
06-11-2008, 08:06 PM
well whats better, bigger box with internal or smaller box with external?

soloXgt
06-11-2008, 08:11 PM
if u have a tuning u like, do whatever u want. if u do external aeros, you can play with the tuning to get what u want/like

yunvme666
06-11-2008, 08:13 PM
depends really i guess, i need like 6 net for mine, id have been about 10-12 gross with a slot port and bracing..... how i figured was make it the size ya need like making a sealed box, then just throw them on the outside so you can adjust easily..... what are you using for subs the 2 fi q's? what do they need like 4.50 net for both?i have no clue really....

fatryan
06-11-2008, 08:30 PM
if u have a tuning u like, do whatever u want. if u do external aeros, you can play with the tuning to get what u want/like
i think external might just be a pain and would likely limit alot of things (like angle of firing), so maybe i better stick with internal.

fatryan
06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
depends really i guess, i need like 6 net for mine, id have been about 10-12 gross with a slot port and bracing..... how i figured was make it the size ya need like making a sealed box, then just throw them on the outside so you can adjust easily..... what are you using for subs the 2 fi q's? what do they need like 4.50 net for both?i have no clue really....
i think it says like 1.3-2.6 a piece over at SSA for ported

yunvme666
06-11-2008, 08:34 PM
that net right? so i dunno maybe go 4.5 net with a single 6 for now to see if ya like it maybe leave room for 2 tho....

fatryan
06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
that net right? so i dunno maybe go 4.5 net with a single 6 for now to see if ya like it maybe leave room for 2 tho....
geez lol, that pushing it. i may have to use 1/2" mdf and glass overtop to save space. or maybe i could build 2 seperate enclosure...

yunvme666
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
cut down to 3 net, take off a cube and a half ............. i just been gettin people lately with the just use what ever ya need attitude...lol.... how much space are ya willing to loose? id almost go with all facing back subs next to each other and the port next to them on the side , itld give a lil room behind the subs and next to the port for throwing **** in there....

yunvme666
06-11-2008, 08:54 PM
or actually put the port or one of the side so you can flip the subs but port will face side....

fatryan
06-11-2008, 10:09 PM
cut down to 3 net, take off a cube and a half ............. i just been gettin people lately with the just use what ever ya need attitude...lol.... how much space are ya willing to loose? id almost go with all facing back subs next to each other and the port next to them on the side , itld give a lil room behind the subs and next to the port for throwing **** in there....
i dont give a **** about trunk space. getting the box INTO the trunk is my problem lol. i might be able to go bigger than 3 cubes. i just wish there was a way to mesure your trunk opening and determine how big of box you can squeeze in. i cant think of a way to do it.

yunvme666
06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
go to a few stores and ask for some empty boxs and see what sizes you can find to fit, its one way,.....lol...

fatryan
06-12-2008, 12:15 AM
go to a few stores and ask for some empty boxs and see what sizes you can find to fit, its one way,.....lol...
not a bad idea. not a bad idea at all! i could just make a cardboard box and fit it in :D :D :D thanx man