PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions

mrstiff
06-08-2008, 03:35 PM
1) Does shape of the enclosure matter when making a sealed unit? I am thinking about making my enclosure triangular instead of square but fear that it may interfere with the sound... I'm just wondering because my trunk is small and I'm trying to save space and find out if I can use different shapes.

2) Can you mount amps onto an enclosure or is that a horrible idea? Once again just trying to save space in the trunk and this would help but I don't want to mess anything up.

Sorry for the simple questions, but this is my first install and I'm paranoid about messing it up or doing something wrong.

fbi90909
06-08-2008, 03:37 PM
1. it is fine.

2. it is fine, people don't like to do it cause they feel it's a half *** install of a system. but to each their own.

Fusion_FREAK
06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
The shape sould not matter, as long as it's the right size and air volume.

Amps can be mounted on the box with no ill effects. Get some little tubes/barrels or stack a few washers between the amp and the box so it gets some air circulation though.

dman4486
06-08-2008, 03:39 PM
my amps are on top of my box, but they are "floating" on top of the carpet to kill vibrations:D

IMO, shape does not make audible differences

Mr Cabinetry
06-08-2008, 04:29 PM
No to both questions.

Shape has no effect on bass response and mounting the amp on the box has no effect either other than putting more screw holes in it.

mrstiff
06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
One more thing... my old box that I bought had a terminal cup, but none of the walkthroughs I have read have mentioned them. How do most people handle this on their self-builds? Do you all prefer buying a terminal cup and adding it or is there another option? Thanks.

Hintzyboy
06-08-2008, 05:14 PM
You can use a terminal cup, or you can just drill holles, run wires through them, and seal the holes from the inside with silicone

mrstiff
06-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the responses. Just for clarification... what you're saying is that I can drill holes big enough for the wiring and then close them off using something like liquid nails? And that will be sufficient to seal it off? If so then that alternative sounds great. Is there any loss in performance? Sorry for all of the simple questions but its my first time installing and I don't want to make many mistakes. Thanks for the help.

Hintzyboy
06-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the responses. Just for clarification... what you're saying is that I can drill holes big enough for the wiring and then close them off using something like liquid nails? And that will be sufficient to seal it off? If so then that alternative sounds great. Is there any loss in performance? Sorry for all of the simple questions but its my first time installing and I don't want to make many mistakes. Thanks for the help.

You don't use liquid nails, you use silicone caulk. that will seal up the hole and make sure you don't have any air leaks. As long as there are no air leaks, you won't have any issues. It's a good idea to run a bead of silicone along each of the box's interior seams as well.