PDA

View Full Version : Midbass question

Canyon Carver
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
can midbass be used to play the midrange also and still have good sound from them,:cool:

JDBoogie
06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Midbass drivers dont have the voice coil to produce a full range of frequencies. So to answer your question. No.

helotaxi
06-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Midbass drivers dont have the voice coil to produce a full range of frequencies. So to answer your question. No.

ORLY? Care to explain that one?

DDSC
06-05-2008, 05:56 AM

:confused:

Hydrastas
06-05-2008, 06:03 AM
ORLY? Care to explain that one?

i can, simple... they don't have enough cowbell

Fast1one
06-05-2008, 12:37 PM
ORLY? Care to explain that one?X2....this should be good :laugh:

ramos
06-05-2008, 12:55 PM
can midbass be used to play the midrange also and still have good sound from them,:cool:

Depends on the drivers . Some suffer severe breakup at the higher frequencies, or have wierd peaks that have to be dealt with. Try your specific drivers and see :)

helotaxi
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
...and still others have no problems at all blending perfectly with a tweeter...

ramos
06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
...and still others have no problems at all blending perfectly with a tweeter...

Yep, that's what I was getting at. Some work some don't :)

PaulD
06-06-2008, 07:04 PM
also depends on where/how they are installed and how low the tweeter can be crossed at.

Canyon Carver
06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
i can, simple... they don't have enough cowbell
hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahah:D

Canyon Carver
06-06-2008, 07:31 PM
thanks for the input,i am doing my homework before i do the install,I appreciate the help,.i am gonna start looking into some 3 way setups and see what i can come up with,:cool:

Here-I-Come
06-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Ok when you say midbass driver what do you mean. Just because it is a 6.5 or even a 8 does not mean it's just a midbass. When I hear midbass I think of the driver that works best from around 50-400hz. Most 6.5 drivers to come with ready made comp sets can be used for midbass/midrange duties. Some better then others, but never the less they can be used.

If I planning on building a 2 way active system i always look for a driver to has clean response from around 80hz up to at least 3.5khz. Now it no easy to find, but not hard. At this point it makes tweeter choice a lot easier. I just do not like crossing tweeters any lower than that. Its just thins the sound IMHO. If I could I wouldn't go below 4.5-5khz with a tweeter

Now if you are planning a 3 way system midbass driver choice becomes easier. Now you look for a driver with good response from as low as possible to around 400hz. Any good midrange driver will be able to play from that point. As for the midrange to tweeter, same rule of thumb as above.

Canyon Carver
06-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Ok when you say midbass driver what do you mean. Just because it is a 6.5 or even a 8 does not mean it's just a midbass. When I hear midbass I think of the driver that works best from around 50-400hz. Most 6.5 drivers to come with ready made comp sets can be used for midbass/midrange duties. Some better then others, but never the less they can be used.

If I planning on building a 2 way active system i always look for a driver to has clean response for around 80hz up to at least 3.5khz. Now it no easy to fine, but not hard. At this point it makes tweeter choice a lot easier. I just do not like crossing tweeters any lower than this. I just thins the sound IMHO. If could I would go below 4.5-5khz with a tweeter

Now if you are planning a 3 way system midbass driver choice becomes easier. Now you look for a driver with good response from as low as possible to around 400hz. Any good midrange driver will be able to play from that point. As for the midrange to tweeter has rule of thumb as above.thats exactly what i am talking about.,thats why i have been doing alot of reading and asking a few questions,your reply does give me a few more answers also,thanks mang.:cool:

Here-I-Come
06-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Now I'm not saying your midrange shouldn't play below 400, that just not right. I would say down to at least 200hz and up to around 5Khz. This way you room to play with when tuning in the most critical and important range. This is way widerange midrange drivers are becoming more and more popular.

helotaxi
06-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Ideally you want a single driver playing as much of the audio range as possible. In a two way front stage it's actually ideal to get the tweet playing as low as possible. This is especially important when using a large mid because the larger the mid, the lower the freq at which it starts to beam. You want to cut it off before the beaming freq. Also larger mids have the tendency to exhibit cone breakup in the higher freqs.

If you're planning on a 3-way system, the mid should be playing as much of the range as possible. 8-10k are fairly common crossover ranges for the mid/tweet transition. You also want it to play as low as possible. Normally one goes small on the mid here and large as possible on the midbass.

The limiting factor for this many times is the crossover used. Many won't allow a high enough crossover freq on the top end of the midrange which wastes the extended range of the driver.

Here-I-Come
06-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Ideally you want a single driver playing as much of the audio range as possible. In a two way front stage it's actually ideal to get the tweet playing as low as possible. This is especially important when using a large mid because the larger the mid, the lower the freq at which it starts to beam. You want to cut it off before the beaming freq. Also larger mids have the tendency to exhibit cone breakup in the higher freqs.

There is some truth to what your sayiing. I guess it is just personal preference. I/amongst other feel that a tweeter should not be played down to 1.5-2.5khz range. Again it just thins the sound to me. I have heard few system I really like that had it this way, it all goes into driver choice.

PaulD
06-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Yes, it does depend a LOT on the tweeter, a large format tweet can often handle down to 1.5-2 KHz whereas the typical 3/4-1" tweet really can't IME.