PDA

View Full Version : ID CTX65CS or Zapco i-6.2

blacksatsc2
06-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Well I think ive narrowed it down to these two sets. There both going for $180 on woofers etc. They both have a silk tweeter which I like. They both handle similiar "rated" power. (ID=100 RMS Zapco=80 RMS) Frequency response is also similiar for both (ID=58-22 Zapco= 53-20) Both drivers both look pretty nice. So what do you guys recommend?

blacksatsc2
06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Bump it

Also should I run my JL A4300 normally or bridge it at 225x2? My rear fill consists of boston SX65 components.

Brian_smith06
06-04-2008, 04:25 PM
my buddy has a set of the ctx components and they sound awesome. i have never heard the zapco's though.

It Hertz
06-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Woofers Ect is an authorized ID ddealer they are not Authorized to sell Zapco. this could potentially lead to issues with getting current model zapco equippment or getting the zapco shipped to you at all if you are shopping on line.

dftnz7
06-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I have the CTXs in my Dodge, and they are very very nice speakers. If you like a more mellow, laid back tweet and balanced midrange sound these will make you quite happy. If you want or more in-your-face, brighter sound, there are others that would fit the bill better. I prefer the more natural sound, so I love these CTX comps. And the midbass will be making you find all the little things in your doors that need to be dampened, they really get after it in the midbass department....Very pleased with mine. I am sure the Zapco is a decent set however.

blacksatsc2
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I have the CTXs in my Dodge, and they are very very nice speakers. If you like a more mellow, laid back tweet and balanced midrange sound these will make you quite happy. If you want or more in-your-face, brighter sound, there are others that would fit the bill better. I prefer the more natural sound, so I love these CTX comps. And the midbass will be making you find all the little things in your doors that need to be dampened, they really get after it in the midbass department....Very pleased with mine. I am sure the Zapco is a decent set however.

Thanks a lot. I think you may have just sold me on them.

blacksatsc2
06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Do the ID's have a flush mounting option for the tweet? If not what are the other options?

blacksatsc2
06-05-2008, 05:14 PM

Also do you have any pix of them installed in your truck? I'd love to see them if so.

blacksatsc2
06-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Bump

dftnz7
06-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Sorry, I do not have any pics of them...I have the mids in my doors and the tweets surface mounted on the kick panels, about 4-5" from the mid. I might be trading the truck this summer and didn't want to hack holes in the panels since I didn't have factory tweets...

I have them in the eyeball mount which allows you to swivel them around and also pivot them inside the eyeball mount to get them pointed exactly where you want them.

If I remember correctly they come with a flush mount as well. I would have to wander out to my garage in the dark to verify that, but I am pretty sure they were actually in the flush mount when I got them and I had to switch them to the swivel mount for my application.

I have 150wrms on them and I play them cranked, sometimes for a couple hours straight at high volume when I am working in my shop and have never once smelled VC or thought they were getting stressed, crossed at 80hz @ 12db/octave.

You will be impressed with the looks/feel of the product too. Sometimes I feel bad I have them tucked away in my door where I can't see them...!!!

blacksatsc2
06-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry, I do not have any pics of them...I have the mids in my doors and the tweets surface mounted on the kick panels, about 4-5" from the mid. I might be trading the truck this summer and didn't want to hack holes in the panels since I didn't have factory tweets...

I have them in the eyeball mount which allows you to swivel them around and also pivot them inside the eyeball mount to get them pointed exactly where you want them.

If I remember correctly they come with a flush mount as well. I would have to wander out to my garage in the dark to verify that, but I am pretty sure they were actually in the flush mount when I got them and I had to switch them to the swivel mount for my application.

I have 150wrms on them and I play them cranked, sometimes for a couple hours straight at high volume when I am working in my shop and have never once smelled VC or thought they were getting stressed, crossed at 80hz @ 12db/octave.

You will be impressed with the looks/feel of the product too. Sometimes I feel bad I have them tucked away in my door where I can't see them...!!!

Sounds great I'm just waiting for some money to get in from a purchase i made on a pair of components that ended up not being in stock......So as soon as the money comes in I think I'm going to pick these up.

dftnz7
06-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I think you will be very happy with them. And since they are ID, if and when you ever decide to get rid of them, they will bring good $$$ and sell very quickly on the forums, since their stuff is always in high demand.

I was going to mention that someone had a set of BNIB CX Series Chameleons for sale for $300 shipped on either this board or DIYmobileaudio.com the other day, thats a good price for another step up the ID line of speakers if you are willing to spend a little more....

blacksatsc2
06-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Well I finally ordered the ID's a couple days ago so I'm waiting for them to come in. As soon as they do I will get them installed as soon as I'm able too. I look forward to giving a small review on them when i first get them installed and then after time I'll give a more detailed review after break in.

dftnz7
06-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Ever get these up and running? Thoughts?

blacksatsc2
06-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Havent got them yet....Today is thursday the 19th there supposed to be here tomorrow we will see.

Hoodlum007
06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
One of my buddies has the ID CTX65CS comps and they sound excellent, i want to get a pair to match up with my IDQ subs.

blacksatsc2
06-21-2008, 08:05 PM
One of my buddies has the ID CTX65CS comps and they sound excellent, i want to get a pair to match up with my IDQ subs.

Thanks I'm excited to get them. There were weather issues so my delivery got moved to Monday the 21st

blacksatsc2
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Well Today is June 23rd and They arrived today around noonish. So i open the box to check them and make sure everything is in tact, and it was. Great packaging so hats off to wooferetc on that. I'm amazed at how heavy the drivers are, very beefy little speakers, so I definately expect the midbass to be much better than my Boston SL's. So everything looks great. I'm getting them installed tomorrow morning so I will give a brief review on them when i get them in.

viscid240
06-23-2008, 09:18 PM
let us know how they perform and whatever else info. you feel you like to share..

I plan on purchasing these for my girls car and get a idq 12 v.3, and dump the old orion 10"..

blacksatsc2
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
let us know how they perform and whatever else info. you feel you like to share..

I plan on purchasing these for my girls car and get a idq 12 v.3, and dump the old orion 10"..

You got it

dftnz7
06-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Well just as a side note, I blew my CTX mids Friday...had the Cubs/White Sox game cranked way up, using my truck as a shop radio in my 120'x68' building, so yes, I had it pretty loud, but hey, it's AM radio, can't hurt anything, right? Wrong. Blew both mids...I even had every bass function in the EQ turned as low as it would go. Got back in my truck later and only my stock rears and tweeters were playing. Oops. Used error at its finest. I think all the static/background noise cooked them.

Talked to ID today about replacement mids, they are $90, but I can get the OEM mids from Hessdawg for $90, which is an upgrade, so I am going to drop those in now as see how they sound.

blacksatsc2
06-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Well just as a side note, I blew my CTX mids Friday...had the Cubs/White Sox game cranked way up, using my truck as a shop radio in my 120'x68' building, so yes, I had it pretty loud, but hey, it's AM radio, can't hurt anything, right? Wrong. Blew both mids...I even had every bass function in the EQ turned as low as it would go. Got back in my truck later and only my stock rears and tweeters were playing. Oops. Used error at its finest. I think all the static/background noise cooked them.

Talked to ID today about replacement mids, they are $90, but I can get the OEM mids from Hessdawg for $90, which is an upgrade, so I am going to drop those in now as see how they sound.

Ohhh ok that *****, but good luck with the OEM's. Well I got my CTX's installed today and my first breif review i would have to say is very good. Iwent to these from a set of Boston SL60's just so you all know. The tweets on the ID's are much MUCH smoother I havent had them cranked up yet, but at moderate volumes theres no real harshness even with a metal song that has lots of symbols crashing all over the place. Quite smooth very impressed. The mids have good solid midbass. Much better than the Boston's, but not quite as good as i expected. Now grant it my doors arent deaded so that is going to be the next step and the midbass should improve am I right? Well anyways, so far so good. Have only had them in now for a couple hours and havent played with yet too much, but as the time goes by ill give a more detailed review after they break in and i play with some more settings.

blacksatsc2
06-25-2008, 04:28 PM
To the top.

atsaubrey
06-25-2008, 08:38 PM
glad to see some ID love here. The CTX is the best sounding entry level speaker I have ever heard.

blacksatsc2
06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
glad to see some ID love here. The CTX is the best sounding entry level speaker I have ever heard.

Yea for sure, so far I have been very impressed specially for the price. Couldn't be much happier.

bgrass
06-27-2008, 06:25 AM

Hello, I am very seriously comptemplating buying these CTX's. My only concern is this. I listen to mostly Country, Bluegrass, Acoustic type music. Alot of Bluegrass is bright and in your face. do you guys think that the CTX's would fit my musical tastes? And if not, please recommend one that would in the same price range.
Thanks!!

blacksatsc2
06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Hello, I am very seriously comptemplating buying these CTX's. My only concern is this. I listen to mostly Country, Bluegrass, Acoustic type music. Alot of Bluegrass is bright and in your face. do you guys think that the CTX's would fit my musical tastes? And if not, please recommend one that would in the same price range.
Thanks!!

I dont have a lot of background with many different types of components, but I do know that these tweeters on the CTX as far as my ears are concerned are not bright at all, quite smooth, so far have been very pleased with them. I dont listen to bluegrass, but i do listen to country old and new, and country sounds great on them. Along with everything else i listen to, and i have a very broad taste in music. I would recomend them to anyone looking for a very solid set of speakers for fairly cheap. I got them for $179.99 at wooferetc.com. Do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of them.

TerryMorgan
06-27-2008, 07:18 PM
The ID's would be my choice, they're a great set, I've heard them before. Don't own them myself but I do have some ID products, and ID is a great company to deal with from my experiences.

dftnz7
06-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah dont even try to see if you have any midbass until you deaden your doors. I don't care what speakers you have, they wont have much bass in a wide open door. Just like you wouldnt expect your subs to do much playing free air, this is essentially what your speakers are doing now.