PDA

View Full Version : On-Wall HT Setup...DIY?

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey,

I have decided against towers for my next HT due to getting animals that will be sure to scratch the **** out of it. Instead, I am thinking of going on-wall with the mains and center channel. I am thinking some smaller satellites can go on end tables with no real issue.

I would rather buy pieces as I don't have a need for a sub, and will be using the okyno 605 receiver.

Has anyone experiment around with anything like this DIY? I know it's be expensive using neos and whatnot.

Budget is $1,000. I don't really have the know-how to build a crossover, but I am sure I can pay someone somewhere for those services.

Any suggestions?

Decado2
05-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Have you looked at any of the HT DIY forums?

hemi=22s
05-30-2008, 10:19 AM
i might have a nice set of high end xovers off some rich ppl installs my dad does home automation and rich ppl down here always giving him **** thats like new but they are updating
i remeber him asking me if i wanted em ill call him tonite c if he still has em. juat pay shipping ill send ya pics of em

i just got a pioneer elite receiver and disc player from 2005 some guy was throwing out crazy nice stuff cant wait to hook it up

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Have you looked at any of the HT DIY forums?

I checked around and didn't see much for the flat panel solution. Most of the DIY were more boxy...if you will.

i might have a nice set of high end xovers off some rich ppl installs my dad does home automation and rich ppl down here always giving him **** thats like new but they are updating
i remeber him asking me if i wanted em ill call him tonite c if he still has em. juat pay shipping ill send ya pics of em

i just got a pioneer elite receiver and disc player from 2005 some guy was throwing out crazy nice stuff cant wait to hook it up

You can't just throw any crossovers on any setup. The crossovers have to be designed for that setup. Thanks anyway.

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey,

I have decided against towers for my next HT due to getting animals that will be sure to scratch the **** out of it. Instead, I am thinking of going on-wall with the mains and center channel. I am thinking some smaller satellites can go on end tables with no real issue.

I would rather buy pieces as I don't have a need for a sub, and will be using the okyno 605 receiver.

Has anyone experiment around with anything like this DIY? I know it's be expensive using neos and whatnot.

Budget is $1,000. I don't really have the know-how to build a crossover, but I am sure I can pay someone somewhere for those services.

Any suggestions?
I used in wall on my first house(not diy though). They were Klipsch. I hated them. They had no life at all. BTW you need a sub for movies, don't kid yourself. I told you I will have you cutting a hole in your ceiling for an IB. It is a must.

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I used in wall on my first house(not diy though). They were Klipsch. I hated them. They had no life at all. BTW you need a sub for movies, don't kid yourself. I told you I will have you cutting a hole in your ceiling for an IB. It is a must.

Cutting a hole in a vaulted ceiling is FTL.

I am going on-wall vs. inwall for that very reason. Will have a sub...since I have a sub already, no need to buy a whole 5.1 thing.

Decado2
05-30-2008, 10:31 AM
I saw some dude mounted AVA 18's in his floor and used the basement as the box :D

its_bacon12
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
If you can find the Aura NS-3 drivers, check these out.

Design/Build log of Enclosure:
http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20a.html

Design and parts list of crossover:
http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20b.html

It's really quite easy to assemble a crossover like seen there.. I'm no electrical engineer and I didn't have a problem with a more complex passive crossover network for my parents towers

Flip: Also note, these speakers are designed to be wall mounted. Most speakers are not and require a different crossover for doing that.

its_bacon12
05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I saw some dude mounted AVA 18's in his floor and used the basement as the box :D

That, sir, is called Infinite Baffle

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 10:38 AM
If you can find the Aura NS-3 drivers, check these out.

Design/Build log of Enclosure:
http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20a.html

Design and parts list of crossover:
http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20b.html

It's really quite easy to assemble a crossover like seen there.. I'm no electrical engineer and I didn't have a problem with a more complex passive crossover network for my parents towers

Flip: Also note, these speakers are designed to be wall mounted. Most speakers are not and require a different crossover for doing that.

Exactly...!

Question though...I made need to ask mark, but I wonder about building 5 of them...not so sure...hmmm

its_bacon12
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
That design won't work for a center channel because of the vertical imaging it gives off, as shown near the bottom of the crossover page.

As far as making them from Front L + R and Rear L + R they would be optimal in your situation. Plus they're pretty darn inexpensive!!

Anyways, I'm sure I can find you a small center channel MTM setup somewhere using small drivers (possibly with Hi-Vi B3S) as long as you cross it a little higher than the other ones, you'd be fine.

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
So far, I like the Klipshe quintet set...but what can you really expect from 3.5" speakers.

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 10:44 AM
That design won't work for a center channel because of the vertical imaging it gives off, as shown near the bottom of the crossover page.

As far as making them from Front L + R and Rear L + R they would be optimal in your situation. Plus they're pretty darn inexpensive!!

Anyways, I'm sure I can find you a small center channel MTM setup somewhere using small drivers (possibly with Hi-Vi B3S) as long as you cross it a little higher than the other ones, you'd be fine.

I saw in the write-up he was using them in an office...What about for a 17 x 26 living room?

its_bacon12
05-30-2008, 10:44 AM
http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20b-verticaloffaxis3600.gif

As you can see, just below 45 degrees vertically from on axis, theres a huge void. That wouldn't work so well if it were laid on its side.

its_bacon12
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Summary

I would expect this project to be very popular in home offices next to flat screen monitors, as rear surrounds or next to a large wall mounted flat screen TV

There you have it. I can't imagine it would be a problem in a living room or something.

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 10:48 AM
There you have it. I can't imagine it would be a problem in a living room or something.

Interesting....

I guess I should have read v. scanned.

its_bacon12
05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I was planning to use these in my parents surround sound system in a room ~20x24, but decided to go with Zaph's Hi-Vi B3S Full Range project.

hemi=22s
05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I checked around and didn't see much for the flat panel solution. Most of the DIY were more boxy...if you will.

You can't just throw any crossovers on any setup. The crossovers have to be designed for that setup. Thanks anyway.

no prob figured i offer i think he has the speakers too tho

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Cutting a hole in a vaulted ceiling is FTL.

I am going on-wall vs. inwall for that very reason. Will have a sub...since I have a sub already, no need to buy a whole 5.1 thing.
Oh ic. Your sub sux though :crap:

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Oh ic. Your sub sux though :crap:

You don't even know what it is. I suppose it ***** because it's not in the ceiling, eh?

its_bacon12
05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
IB generally gives the flattest response curves.. I am giving IB in my car a shot, and at home too.

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
You don't even know what it is. I suppose it ***** because it's not in the ceiling, eh?Pretty much. I thought I remember me and you talking before and you explained you had a sub from an HTiB to use and that is why I say it sux :p: I could be wrong, but if it isn't an IB then ya I pretty much think it sux lol. I have had quite a few different subs and just can't get over the natural sound of my IB. Doesn't have the same output I have had from other subs, but the reach and natural sound of it and ability to blend easily wins it for me.

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 11:47 AM
It is the sundown sub....two 10s.

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
It is the sundown sub....two 10s.I see. For some reason I thought you said you had an existing prebuilt thing.
those should be a nice starter :p: Sealed enclosure?

galacticmonkey
05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Just do some towers and put thick carpet and a scratching post on them so cats can use them too.

Multitasking. :fyi:

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 12:12 PM
lol

I am seeing towers wrapped in rope as a vision.

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I see. For some reason I thought you said you had an existing prebuilt thing.
those should be a nice starter :p: Sealed enclosure?

Yes.

lol

I am seeing towers wrapped in rope as a vision.

Not that may not be a mad idea at all...!!

Hmmm

dcole18
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
lolz at the towers, and flip... ported box tuned uber low FTW in HT!!!

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 02:16 PM
lolz at the towers, and flip... ported box tuned uber low FTW in HT!!!Not if he uses small satellites like the orbs he likes. They won't mate up well. Of course hopefully he don't go with those.

dcole18
05-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Not if he uses small satellites like the orbs he likes. They won't mate up well. Of course hopefully he don't go with those.

troof... thats why he should do the scratch posts/towers and since he cant do IB then ported is the next best thing imo

Flipx99
05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Not if he uses small satellites like the orbs he likes. They won't mate up well. Of course hopefully he don't go with those.

I may not with this idea of the scratching post tower. Not sure what teh gf things about that though.

dcole18
05-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I may not with this idea of the scratching post tower. Not sure what teh gf things about that though.

tell her she can use the scratch post too :fyi:

j/k :p:

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 02:51 PM
troof... thats why he should do the scratch posts/towers and since he cant do IB then ported is the next best thing imo
I'll agree. Very large and very low. I don't think he wants a big obtrusive enclosure which is why I keep trying to sell him on the IB. There is no **** enclosure ftw.

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I may not with this idea of the scratching post tower. Not sure what teh gf things about that though.It would be interesting to see how it comes out. Definitely would be a unique one off and save the rest of your furniture.

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 02:54 PM
You could still have a nice stained wood finish for the top half and then a winding of scratch rope on the bottom.

IamDeMan
05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
BTW, my cats don't scrath anything but their condo/pedestal and the cardboard catnip filled boards we buy them. I think if you make sure you have plenty of alternatives they want to use, then your good stuff is safe.

dcole18
05-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I'll agree. Very large and very low. I don't think he wants a big obtrusive enclosure which is why I keep trying to sell him on the IB. There is no **** enclosure ftw.

for you guys, yeah, i havent had a room i could do ib in yet tho :(

BrianChia
05-31-2008, 03:32 AM
for you guys, yeah, i havent had a room i could do ib in yet tho :(

What about IB to the outside? :idea:

bds0688
05-31-2008, 03:51 AM
BTW, my cats don't scrath anything but their condo/pedestal and the cardboard catnip filled boards we buy them. I think if you make sure you have plenty of alternatives they want to use, then your good stuff is safe.

Unless your cat is braindead.

IamDeMan
05-31-2008, 06:37 AM
What about IB to the outside? :idea:Seen a few of those on infinitely baffled.

Unless your cat is braindead.
Then out it goes :crazy:

jdawg
05-31-2008, 07:07 AM
there are no other rooms you cant vent it to? It doesnt have to be a ceiling. Im probably gonna do one with 4 MJ18's, its gonna be on one side. If I did it on the ceiling I think they would be pissed upstairs for having a big square with 4 18's bolted to it right in the middle of the living room.

IamDeMan
05-31-2008, 07:17 AM
there are no other rooms you cant vent it to? It doesnt have to be a ceiling. Im probably gonna do one with 4 MJ18's, its gonna be on one side. If I did it on the ceiling I think they would be pissed upstairs for having a big square with 4 18's bolted to it right in the middle of the living room.Indeed. Creativity can go a long way. Vent into closet, garage, crawl, outside. I actually like the look of line IBs that vent into other rooms.

Flipx99
05-31-2008, 11:56 AM

Is it silver?

I bet it is the same one I have.

Flipx99
05-31-2008, 11:57 AM
It would be interesting to see how it comes out. Definitely would be a unique one off and save the rest of your furniture.

Indeed. I will have to study up on how the scratching posts are made.

The best thing is that it allows me to get a "real" HT.

mlstrass
05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Pretty much. I thought I remember me and you talking before and you explained you had a sub from an HTiB to use and that is why I say it sux :p: I could be wrong, but if it isn't an IB then ya I pretty much think it sux lol. I have had quite a few different subs and just can't get over the natural sound of my IB. Doesn't have the same output I have had from other subs, but the reach and natural sound of it and ability to blend easily wins it for me.

But your IB lacks output so it sux also ;)

I ran IB for a while and it was amazing for music, but lacked impact for movies, so I went back to ported.

To save the thread jack: do you have cats or dogs? I have cats and all have front claws removed, so my towers are safe. You will never get very loud/impressive sound out of in/on walls unless you spend a LOT of $$$ compared to decent towers.

mlstrass
05-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Couple of scratching posts would keep the cats away from your speakers. You could also remove the grills, unless you have kids in the house.

Flipx99
05-31-2008, 12:18 PM

I ran IB for a while and it was amazing for music, but lacked impact for movies, so I went back to ported.

To save the thread jack: do you have cats or dogs? I have cats and all have front claws removed, so my towers are safe. You will never get very loud/impressive sound out of in/on walls unless you spend a LOT of $$$ compared to decent towers.

I will have both...

I do not want to declaw teh cat.

Flipx99
05-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Couple of scratching posts would keep the cats away from your speakers. You could also remove the grills, unless you have kids in the house.

It still scratches on the couch even with catnip and scratching posts.

IamDeMan
05-31-2008, 03:13 PM

Negative. I have plenty of output. 8x 15" and 1000 watts it is moving plenty of air and shaking things in movies. IB blows a big ported enclosure out of the water. You just need to use more drivers, which isn't hard since they are out of the way. I had a huge ported sonosub using a tempest and it doesn't touch the extension and output of my IB.

bds0688
05-31-2008, 03:14 PM
It still scratches on the couch even with catnip and scratching posts.

What I do if I see a cat do something like that is to pick it up and put it by the scratching post and make the same motions with its paws on the rope/cardboard. All but one got the hint that way. And x2 on not declawing cats. They get outside and they're ****ed. Hardly any defense and they sometimes get more agressive.