PDA

View Full Version : Glass resin on top of silicone?

bumpin buick
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
I am fixing a few minor problems with my existing box in hopes that it will sound better. I am doubling up on a few of the walls and planned on also painting the inside with resin. all the edges and corners already have caulk or silicone on them though. Would it be okay to just glass over it? I dont see why not but I thought I would get a second opinion before I just jump into it. Thanks

Supergumby5000
05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
should be fine. Did you use a flexible silicone or hard?

If anything, why not cut away the silicone?

bumpin buick
05-27-2008, 03:28 PM
should be fine. Did you use a flexible silicone or hard?

If anything, why not cut away the silicone?

It was done by vitveet, its soft so I dont know if that means its flexible or not. I know I can cut it away but I figured it would make even more of a mess and if I didnt need to then I wouldnt

Supergumby5000
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
It was done by vitveet, its soft so I dont know if that means its flexible or not. I know I can cut it away but I figured it would make even more of a mess and if I didnt need to then I wouldnt

the only concern i can think of is if it is not a solid caulk (if you can push into it like rubber, then its not solid), the pressure from subwoofer excursion may cause flex, and therefore the resin may want to crack.

bumpin buick
05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
the only concern i can think of is if it is not a solid caulk (if you can push into it like rubber, then its not solid), the pressure from subwoofer excursion may cause flex, and therefore the resin may want to crack.

thats kinda what I was worried about too, anyone else ever try this?

mlstrass
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
What's actually wrong with the box requiring you to do this? Does it just need a few braces added? I don't see lining it with resin doing anything and proper bracing is MUCH stronger then doubling up a wall...

ngsm13
05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Will you be laying chop mat AND resin... or just resin?

Just so you know, resin alone does not add anything to the structural integrity of the box. All it does it seal, waterproof (if done evenly), and make less air friction when layed smooth.

:fyi:

nG

MikeyB
05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
It will be fine, the glass wont have a problem curing. Ive never ran into any issues glassing over any type of caulk or silicone.

bumpin buick
05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
What's actually wrong with the box requiring you to do this? Does it just need a few braces added? I don't see lining it with resin doing anything and proper bracing is MUCH stronger then doubling up a wall...

The issue I had with my box is my side wall(port side) blew out. I am replacing it and doubling up the MDF so it will be fine then. I just figured while the box is out of my truck and the subs are out I mine as well make sure its sealed up extra good so I planned to glass it also.

Will you be laying chop mat AND resin... or just resin?

Just so you know, resin alone does not add anything to the structural integrity of the box. All it does it seal, waterproof (if done evenly), and make less air friction when layed smooth.

:fyi:

nG

I have mat also but I was just planning on using the resin. I know it wouldnt change the structural integrity but thats what the double MDF is for. I just figured it would help maintain a great seal.

It will be fine, the glass wont have a problem curing. Ive never ran into any issues glassing over any type of caulk or silicone.

Thanks this is the answer I was hoping to get :D

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 01:24 AM
The issue I had with my box is my side wall(port side) blew out. I am replacing it and doubling up the MDF so it will be fine then. I just figured while the box is out of my truck and the subs are out I mine as well make sure its sealed up extra good so I planned to glass it also.

I have mat also but I was just planning on using the resin. I know it wouldnt change the structural integrity but thats what the double MDF is for. I just figured it would help maintain a great seal.

Thanks this is the answer I was hoping to get :D
I must see pics of this box, because I have never in my life had a wall come near to splintering in any enclosure, and I don't build my enclosures for fort knox like THUMPPER and Mr. Cabinetry do.

bumpin buick
05-28-2008, 01:36 AM
I must see pics of this box, because I have never in my life had a wall come near to splintering in any enclosure, and I don't build my enclosures for fort knox like THUMPPER and Mr. Cabinetry do.

I will have pics up tommorow with damage and the new one I just put in tonight.

mlstrass
05-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't see any need to double it up, just properly glued should be plenty strong as that wall has the least amount of pressure on it since the port is letting the air escape...

bumpin buick
05-28-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't see any need to double it up, just properly glued should be plenty strong as that wall has the least amount of pressure on it since the port is letting the air escape...

Argue that to this :(
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/usask8er1/IMG_3284.jpg
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/usask8er1/IMG_3285.jpg

I took the wall out and spent a few hours on it last night cutting new MDF, the screws were surprisingly centered in the 3/4" MDF so there should not have been any cause for it to break but it did. I now have two layers of MDF on with about 40 screws, liquid nail, and silicone. I plan to glass today and paint tommorow then see how it sounds Friday when its all back in the truck

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 01:18 PM
That can't possibly be wood glued, as I can see the gap in the joint.

bjfish11
05-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow.... nice.... :(

bumpin buick
05-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Wow.... nice.... :(

you know what, if I had the money I would have got something from you but I just couldnt afford it at the time as I had no income as a college student

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 01:47 PM
you know what, if I had the money I would have got something from you but I just couldnt afford it at the time as I had no income as a college studentFisher really isn't that expensive, it's his 50% surcharge for his semenized finish that he calls paint that costs a lot. Beatin it 43 times per box gets expensive.

bumpin buick
05-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Fisher really isn't that expensive, it's his 50% surcharge for his semenized finish that he calls paint that costs a lot. Beatin it 43 times per box gets expensive.

Understandable, I was more thinking shipping costs would be about half the box. Lets just put it this way the shipping costs were almost twice what the box cost

bjfish11
05-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Fisher really isn't that expensive, it's his 50% surcharge for his semenized finish that he calls paint that costs a lot. Beatin it 43 times per box gets expensive.
:wow:

Understandable, I was more thinking shipping costs would be about half the box. Lets just put it this way the shipping costs were almost twice what the box cost
My prices include shipping, incase you didnt know.

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 03:45 PM

My prices include shipping, incase you didnt know.Hey, I only said you put a lotta time and effort into your work :D

maldecido33
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM

And semen, to give the box that extra bit of "thump"

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
And semen, to give the box that extra bit of "thump":laugh:

bumpin buick
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM

I was not aware well now I am working full time at 20 an hour so maybe you can take part in my next one I will pm you for a quote in just a second here. thanks

mlstrass
05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
BJ's boxes are very reasonable and I also gave you a good quote for a local box that was "non exploding" LOL

That is one rough *** looking port and it was not glued properly to come apart like that....

bumpin buick
05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
BJ's boxes are very reasonable and I also gave you a good quote for a local box that was "non exploding" LOL

That is one rough *** looking port and it was not glued properly to come apart like that....

I know both you and BJ do great jobs its just that at the time I had no income so when I say I needed cheap I mean i needed cheap. In the future I know that its worth saving the money i was just anxious to get this done. I may be having you or BJ build me a box before this summer is up though so be ready