PDA

View Full Version : Hertz Mille VS. Rainbow Germ

zeed
05-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I still can't decide which one to go with. With the price quote I got, it is different for only around ~$120-150 between Rainbow Germ and Hertz MLK165. Rainbow is cheaper though.

Actually, I kind of lean toward Rainbow because I got an iPaul to match it up and it seems need less mounting depth. But from the review from www.caraudiomag.com.

Rainbow got only 68 out of 100, but Hertz Mille got 87. Even Phoenix Gold RSD 65CS got more than Rainbow at 77.
For me, I have no chance to listen to it before buying, so I would like to find the best matching one for me.

Refs:

http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/cae_0709_rainbow_cs_germanium/score_chart.html

http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/cae_0709_hertz_mille_mlk_165/score_chart.html

What do you guys think?

bamaboy
05-26-2008, 08:07 PM
definitely the hertz, one of the best speakers ive heard to date

konechiwa
05-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I still can't decide which one to go with. With the price quote I got, it is different for only around ~$120-150 between Rainbow Germ and Hertz MLK165. Rainbow is cheaper though.

Actually, I kind of lean toward Rainbow because I got an iPaul to match it up and it seems need less mounting depth. But from the review from www.caraudiomag.com.

Rainbow got only 68 out of 100, but Hertz Mille got 87. Even Phoenix Gold RSD 65CS got more than Rainbow at 77.
For me, I have no chance to listen to it before buying, so I would like to find the best matching one for me.

Refs:

http://www.caraudiomag.com/reviews/cae_0709_rainbow_cs_germanium/score_chart.html

http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/cae_0709_hertz_mille_mlk_165/score_chart.html

What do you guys think?

two years ago everyone would have said rainbow. EVERYONE. they were the forum boner. Haven't followed the boners recently but i think Hertz is the new one.

My point is that your going to get some biased responses.

I have the SLC 265 Kicks, and I think they are not powered well enough.

So if you want the rainbows, you need power. Lots of it.

Hintzyboy
05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
You won't be disappointed with the Germs, but the Mille line is Hertz's top line iirc. Might see what how the Rainbow Profi Vanadiums stack up (roughly the same price point).

bamaboy
05-26-2008, 11:37 PM
i dont think hertz will ever be a forum boner on here...they are getting alot more popular though

but most cant get them for any deals, its usually msrp, will hardly ever find them on ebay unless they are used

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/hertz_Consumer-Electronics_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ293

ebay search for hertz under car audio

elettromedia sent us some different products to the shop to audition, millie comps and sub, and other stuff, and a few audison amps, everyone loved the sound they had, so now we are waiting on the displays and products from hertz

i had rainbow SLC's, they were nothing special, but was a great price on them, weve installed so far 2 sets of HSK165s and 2 sets of MLK165s and all of them sounded excellent, even in a chrysler van with no door deadening and midbass was still very nice

i now have a set of the MLK2's on the way so...:crap:

edit: my personal opinion, the HSK's sound very very nice considering the $$ difference between them and the milles, worth considering, they can take some good power too, think retail is like ~$350-450 on the HSK's

Towncar
05-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I say go diy. YOu cant beat it..

3.5Max6spd
05-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Refs:

What do you guys think?

Keep in mind the Germs lost a substantial amount of points because of lack of hardware included with the set that was sent with them for the review. Also: image stability- the Germ xover has MANY combinations to select from on the passive xover to integrate tweeter and mid xover points for the best results in a particular installation or speaker arrangement...could it possibly mean the ones chosen by the reviewer were not optimal to properly evaluate such things as image stability,tonal balance, etc? Afterall...we are speaking of the most crucial part of speaker integration and phase response: the xover point in the critical midrange.

Not so much defending the Germs, but bringing out the obvious.
Like all reviews...it doesnt matter if its in a magazine....most aspects are subjective and must be taken with a grain of salt.

Hintzyboy
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I say go diy. YOu cant beat it..

Very true. You can easily build a very nice system for less than either of those sets.

Plus, if the OP goes active, he can buy my Alpine 3672;)

kross
05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
You're not really comparing apples to apples. You're comparing the Germs to speakers that cost nearly twice as much. I have the Germs, and love them, but if I had the extra money, I'd go with the Hertz.

Now if you want to compare the MLK165's to the Rainbow models in the same price range, then the decision gets more difficult.

Cbtmedic
05-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I haven't owned Rainbow products, but i do own the Hertz MLK 165 running active, and they are an amazing sounding set of speakers IMO. Every note is reproduced beautifully, without being harsh or distortion at all even at high volumes. I listen to Trance/Techno, Salsa, Merengue etc...and these speakers keep up with no problems.

zeed
05-27-2008, 07:06 PM
You're not really comparing apples to apples. You're comparing the Germs to speakers that cost nearly twice as much. I have the Germs, and love them, but if I had the extra money, I'd go with the Hertz.

Now if you want to compare the MLK165's to the Rainbow models in the same price range, then the decision gets more difficult.

As I state, price is different for only about ~$120-150. Not as twice. May be if you compare MRSP. That why it is so hard for me to decide.

kross
05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
As I state, price is different for only about ~$120-150. Not as twice. May be if you compare MRSP. That why it is so hard for me to decide.

Ah, I missed that part. I'd go with the MLK165's.

DaGrimOne
05-27-2008, 10:48 PM
MLK-165's

zeed
05-28-2008, 02:13 AM
More question. Is 90W RMS per channel enough power to feed MLK165 to be alive?

"that boy asad"
05-28-2008, 02:36 AM
More question. Is 90W RMS per channel enough power to feed MLK165 to be alive?
you need at least double that...

kross
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
you need at least double that...

:iagree:

kross
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
You say you have an iPaul amplifier. I'm assuming the 4.300, since you say 90w per channel. You can bridge that amp and get up to 270 watts per channel. You don't have to use all of that power (and in fact you shouldn't).

denali804
06-01-2008, 08:11 AM
you need more then 90 watts on mlk's. You will think that they are a waste of money if you listen to them with 90 watts. Wont sound very good. been there done that.

6spdcoupe
06-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Keep in mind the Germs lost a substantial amount of points because of lack of hardware included with the set that was sent with them for the review. Also: image stability- the Germ xover has MANY combinations to select from on the passive xover to integrate tweeter and mid xover points for the best results in a particular installation or speaker arrangement...could it possibly mean the ones chosen by the reviewer were not optimal to properly evaluate such things as image stability,tonal balance, etc? Afterall...we are speaking of the most crucial part of speaker integration and phase response: the xover point in the critical midrange.

Not so much defending the Germs, but bringing out the obvious.
Like all reviews...it doesnt matter if its in a magazine....most aspects are subjective and must be taken with a grain of salt.

Beat me to it, but the point remains. Subjective and more importantly political points came into play.

The lack of hardware for proper 'testing' was lacking and therefore also lost points.

Bearing in mind Rainbow has at any given time a minimum of three various size vehicles for testing their products in real life situations - for use in cars. A 'review' inside of an enclosure on a desk is less than ideal for a mobile driver.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but I am a dealer for both and my vote would lean a bit more on the Germs.

6spdcoupe
06-02-2008, 01:52 AM
i dont think hertz will ever be a forum boner on here...they are getting alot more popular though

but most cant get them for any deals, its usually msrp, will hardly ever find them on ebay unless they are used

There is a transhipper or two on these forums that are accommodating buyers for minimal mark ups over cost. SRP doesnt stand a chance here.