PDA

View Full Version : is bi-wiring a 2way front with a 4ch. amp better sq than bridging 2 chans.?

ninogui
05-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi there,

I´m looking for your comments and advice on this.

I have a boston gt-42 (4x75w 4ohm or +- 220w 2 chan. bridged 4ohm i think?) and ready to fit the 2 way compo hertz mlk-165. They would go to the passive crossover (bi-wire capable) supplied in the kit.

Which would be the preferable scenario (objective SQ):

1 - bi-wire all channels to each mid and tweeter outputs from crossovers, as per

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/nino_tsunami/22222.jpg

in which i would probably still have 75w per channel, or;

2 - bridge the amp at its outs, so just 1 pair of wires gos into the crossovers, but with higher power

Also in bi-wiring, and because the scheme puts the attenuation at 0db stating to control from amp, isnt this like going half-active or something? alpine 9887R has its own low/band/high active crossovers.

So which scenario i would get a better SQ, with bi-wiring/lower power, or regular single wiring but higher watts?

greets

djman37
05-26-2008, 08:55 AM
If bi-wiring is available as an option, try that. Even if just temp wires across the car, give it a whirl. I'd do a general HP and LP on the amp so it doesn't work as hard to send wasted engery, which winds up as heat, to the crossovers.

ninogui
05-26-2008, 09:10 AM
If bi-wiring is available as an option, try that. Even if just temp wires across the car, give it a whirl. I'd do a general HP and LP on the amp so it doesn't work as hard to send wasted engery, which winds up as heat, to the crossovers.

thks man,

i hesitated on this because from what i read about mlk-165 people say its very power hungry lolol so wasnt sure which route should i take, you know... less watt and bi-wiring or more watt-simple wiring.

greets

tRidiot
05-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Bi-wire for sure, IMHO.

ninogui
05-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Bi-wire for sure, IMHO.

lolol im getting kinda lost here...

look at response from andy (harman kardon) at

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?p=3063011&posted=1#post3063011

he surely isnt a novice..

christ.. im in a worst status i was when i posted the original lolol

squeak9798
05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree with Andy.

Unless you absolutely need the separate level control (in which case you should just go active anyway), I'd take the 220w per side bridged over bi-amping any day.

BTW, Andy's response was on DIYMA not talkaudio ;)

ninogui
05-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I agree with Andy.

Unless you absolutely need the separate level control (in which case you should just go active anyway), I'd take the 220w per side bridged over bi-amping any day.

BTW, Andy's response was on DIYMA not talkaudio ;)

ye, i know lolol just wanted to fill u in other responses for the same issue.

preety clear now, thks a lot

tRidiot
05-26-2008, 12:48 PM
The sep level control is exactly why I'd bi-wire. :fyi:

ninogui
05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi

well, because i will have the cars guts taken out, i might try going active on the wires, and give my ears a bit of judgement.!

Probably i would have to be extra careful at setting the 9887R head unit active mode and crossover points at anything near according to the manufacturer. According to Hertz, if i use the large chamber option mounting on the tweeter (i intend to),

the tweeter high pass advised is anywhere from 1800Hz to 5000Hz, and the resp.frequency is lowered from 1300Hz to 950Hz (i´d prefer the smoothness with lower Queue)
in the specs the mid driver hertz ml 165 has a response freq. from 35Hz to 25kHz, i could low pass it to 80Hz so to get the rest to the subwoofer.

i might really try to go active.! it´s just a shame to let go a brand new pair of hertz crossovers lolol but if the alpine HU can handle it, why use them anyway..

what do you think of that?

greets

ninogui
05-26-2008, 05:43 PM
also found this

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

which seems quit good learning reading.

helotaxi
05-27-2008, 12:33 AM
If you're going to even consider biwiring, then going active is a better solution.

ninogui
05-27-2008, 10:07 AM
sorry for one more nooby question guys, but

adding to that, on an active setup should the control be given full to the alpine head unit, thus disconecting all the filters from the external amp, or is it that a full active setup has no external amp/amp crossovers, coming all just from the head unit.?

greets

kovemaster559
05-27-2008, 10:48 AM
sorry for one more nooby question guys, but

adding to that, on an active setup should the control be given full to the alpine head unit, thus disconecting all the filters from the external amp, or is it that a full active setup has no external amp/amp crossovers, coming all just from the head unit.?

greets

i run xovers on my amp and run all the filters . seems good to me and i get the power to speakers

DejaWiz
05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Bi-wiring and Bi-amping are two very different things. :fyi:

If you have the means to do so, go active over bi-amping.