PDA

View Full Version : Need a box design? Read this first!

PV Audio
05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
I have seen quite a few threads in this forum where people want a box design, but don't know the best way to go about it. The following tips/procedure will help you to get the best design for your money as quickly and as satisfactorily as possible. Therefore, I hope that this is of some use to people and will help move things along. :)

1. If you're a newer member, or don't know anyone on the forum, please do not ask who is the best designer or who makes the best designs here. What you're essentially asking is like going into a grocery store and standing at the front and yelling "SOMEONE GIVE ME THE BEST FOOD IN HERE". You don't get noticed and people don't take you as seriously.

Instead, follow the other guidelines listed below:

2. The thread title is crucial. Don't title it "Design?" "Box design" or "Enclosure sketch", as this doesn't help anyone. Certain people on this forun are better at doing certain types of work than others, such as 80INCHES is pretty much the bandpass guru here, and THUMPPER is a master at kerf technique. Instead, state that you need a design for x sub and you're looking for help. This way, people will enter the thread and will read what you need and you can then PM them about their pricing if they don't already list it.

3. You do not dictate the price of the design, regardless of what you feel it's worth. If someone wants to charge 20 per design, then either pay 20 or pass (heaven forbid someone actually charges that much for a basic design) and find someone else. Stating that you have 5 dollars for a design doesn't give much incentive for someone to spend some good time making sure that the enclosure is right to what you want.

4. Do not, and I mean, do NOT post a picture of the design with dimensions shown if it's a CAD drawing or list the cut sheet or dimensions without the designer's permission. There is a list of designs at the top of this forum by Moe Lester for that purpose. The designer did not make it for the entire forum, he/she made it custom for you. By posting their work without their permission basically makes their job null and void. If you want to share it with people, fine, but don't post it publicly on the forum. This guideline is up to the designer's discretion, but many agree that it's impolite to do this.

5. Once you have a design, post feedback on the designer in the feedback forum. Was his communication good? Did he answer all your questions? That is the purpose of this site, to spread knowledge and let people share their knowledge with others. If you would recommend him/her to someone else, post it! The way people get better is by being pushed to try new things, which can only happen with a positive reputation.

I hope that this at least helps some people get their designs faster. Naturally, if you have a special request i.e. you have a vehicle that's particular to a certain type of design or need a specific type of enclosure, state that as well. Hopefully someone gets use out of this. Any comments/additions are welcomed and encouraged. :)

-Dave

RAM_Designs
05-25-2008, 06:15 PM
nice

AllDayMJ
05-25-2008, 06:22 PM
el sticky?

edzy
05-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Can you design me a box?

PV Audio
05-26-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't know if you're kidding or not, but either way, I am no longer in the business of designs. :)

edzy
05-26-2008, 03:37 PM
lol, Just messing. nice info. Yet I believe ppl will continue to do the same thing.

ngsm13
05-26-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking you need to stfu leemanzz...

Who died and made you procedure guru on ca.com?

nG

PV Audio
05-26-2008, 04:39 PM
I was just trying to help :(

ngsm13
05-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Lol...

:p:

nG

Jmac
05-27-2008, 02:21 AM
No thread by lemans will ever be stickied on ca.com ... except maybe a thread linking all of lemans's greatest posts such as the classic 1/8-mile-to-1/4-mile conversion thread, the ever popular don't-stick-your-hand-into-burning-coals-like-I-did thread, or the riveting "Fvck carpet, turn off the d*mn lights!" thread.

ngsm13
05-27-2008, 02:23 AM
No thread by lemans will ever be stickied on ca.com ... except maybe a thread linking all of lemans's greatest posts such as the classic 1/8-mile-to-1/4-mile conversion thread, the ever popular don't-stick-your-hand-into-burning-coals-like-I-did thread, or the riveting "Fvck carpet, turn off the d*mn lights!" thread.

WINRAR!!!

nG

PV Audio
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
See what I get for trying to be nice? That's why I'm an ******* :p:

kovemaster559
05-27-2008, 10:51 AM
See what I get for trying to be nice? That's why I'm an ******* :p:

I see . but you do have a point . Some people come in here not knowing what they want .

PV Audio
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
No thread by lemans will ever be stickied on ca.com ... except maybe a thread linking all of lemans's greatest posts such as the classic 1/8-mile-to-1/4-mile conversion thread, the ever popular don't-stick-your-hand-into-burning-coals-like-I-did thread, or the riveting "Fvck carpet, turn off the d*mn lights!" thread.Y'all are such assholes :laugh:

Mr Cabinetry
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
It's more a problem of those that come here and create such posts don't read the stickys first which would at the least give them a clue about what they want in order to ask a question a the proper context of getting a correct answer.

BUT NOOOOOO, people in general are d@mn lazy and don't want to bother themselves with something as simple as " reading " and actually learn alittle before asking proper questions.

Why should they bother themselves with such a trivial thing as " reading and learning " when they can just come here an ask and all the questions are answered.

Granted, folks that come and ask questions shouldn't be berated and thrashed upon, but, at the same time the individual should at the least make an effort to inform themselves alittle bit so they can at the very least get the help they seek given the nature of the questions asked.

Mynameismcgyver
05-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Good info. Who here builds boxes and is reliable????

Mr Cabinetry
05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Good info. Who here builds boxes and is reliable????

Well, I build enclosure's along with many other members here that do so.

You, as the customer have to decide for yourself as to who you wish to do business with as to whom you judge/deem reliable.

Mynameismcgyver
05-27-2008, 03:17 PM
You, as the customer have to decide for yourself as to who you wish to do business with as to whom you judge/deem reliable.

Which I will do with the help of other members as references. What is the best way to contact you? Pm, phone, aim?

Mr Cabinetry
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Which I will do with the help of other members as references. What is the best way to contact you? Pm, phone, aim?

If your looking for a quote for an enclosure, please use this page on my site:

http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/SubmitQuote.html

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

PV Audio
05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Mr. Cabinetry hasn't touched a piece of wood in his life except for what's in his pants. :D

SPY
05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
The best way to pick a builder is to look through the box build threads in the build log forum, see who does good work and then contact the recipent of said box and see if they are happy with what they got for the money.

Some people are cheaper (me :D ) and some people do absolutly beautiful boxes ( BJfish and Thumper )

It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

As for the original reason for this post, I recieve a fair ammount of PM's asking for designs. I don't mind doing them but please make sure you include some very basic info if your going to PM someone to design/build your custom enclosure.

1) Ported, Sealed or Bandpass
2) Desired net volume (and tuning if not a sealed box)
3) Max dimension you are willing to give up for the enclosure
4) Sub and port placement
5) What sub(s) Make, Model, Size.
6) What type of vehicle.
7) How much power you are going to give the sub(s)
8) Any special extras you'd like to include in the design.

Also be patient, don't expect a desing within a few min. Some times it takes hours or even days to get to it depending on ones personal life.

PV Audio
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Also be patient, don't expect a desing within a few min. Some times it takes hours or even days to get to it depending on ones personal life.You know you don't get no play, so don't lie. :D

SPY
05-28-2008, 10:09 AM
You know you don't get no play, so don't lie. :D

I have a wife and kids so of course I don't :laugh:

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 01:17 PM
I have a wife and kids so of course I don't :laugh:Note I said don't and not used to:D

Mr Cabinetry
05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Mr. Cabinetry hasn't touched a piece of wood in his life except for what's in his pants. :D

PV,

Ok, the secrets out, I have wood fairy's that work in the shop into the wee hours of the morning so when I go to the shop the next day, the enclosure's are already built... I wish.:laugh:

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 02:06 PM
PV,

Ok, the secrets out, I have wood fairy's that work in the shop into the wee hours of the morning so when I go to the shop the next day, the enclosure's are already built... I wish.:laugh::confused: I thought those were called minorities?

kovemaster559
05-28-2008, 02:15 PM
:confused: I thought those were called minorities?

HAHAAHAHAHAHH MEXICANS!

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 02:18 PM
HAHAAHAHAHAHH MEXICANS!Well, I had to represent my people in there too, so blacks are thrown in the mix. Didn't say they'd do any work, but they're still considered :D

Mr Cabinetry
05-28-2008, 02:23 PM
:confused: I thought those were called minorities?

I'm self employed, I do all my own work and been doing so since 1995.

I haven't hired anybody to work for me. Of course though, I did have alot of exterior work done on the house by contractors and who they have work for them, that's their business, not mine.

Mr Cabinetry
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, I had to represent my people in there too, so blacks are thrown in the mix. Didn't say they'd do any work, but they're still considered :D

Politics's, WTF???? I ain't going there, I ain't going to say squat.

You said it, you deal with it?

PV Audio
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
:D Just stirrin the pot; just stirrin the pot. :)