PDA

View Full Version : Two channel amplifier for two seperate component sets?

Trepkos
05-25-2008, 01:41 AM
So I was wondering, would it be worth the $220 dollars for a new eD.NiNe.2 amplifier (http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=45) for the new two sets of Rainbow SLC components(100watts RMS per set) or if I should save $220 and keep the Profile AP1000 (https://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=218) amplifier currently powering my single set of Phoenix Gold RSD components(75watts rms).

Unfortunately on some songs and when the volume is turned up to or over 26/35, the speakers begin to distort. Not sure if this is problem with the headunit(which it possibly could be), a problem with the power output of the amplifier not sending enough power or too much power; or even a problem with the component set.

helotaxi
05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
If you're building kicks, I wouldn't bother with the door speakers. They'll hurt the sound more than help.

bigbangtheory
05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Tcguy says that if they are poweing off low RMS when you turn them up, you are not giving them enough power. Mine do it as well off 75rms, but I have to crank on them to get them to do it, which is wayyyyyyyyy to much for me to handle anyway.

I wish I could hear his set at 300rms each side, lol!

I also might be wrong he said that, but thought I read it, so don't quote me on it.

Trepkos
05-25-2008, 12:53 PM
If you're building kicks, I wouldn't bother with the door speakers. They'll hurt the sound more than help.

Really?

How so?

Trepkos
05-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Really?

How so?

If the second component set will hurt the sound I may just get the 5x7 Rainbow SLC set and a new 2-channel amplifier and save some cash.

helotaxi
05-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Really?

How so?

Phase interference. Unless you go to great lengths to time align the whole setup, the path differences between the same side drivers playing the same frequencies lead to a really erratic mess on the freq response.

Trepkos
05-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Phase interference. Unless you go to great lengths to time align the whole setup, the path differences between the same side drivers playing the same frequencies lead to a really erratic mess on the freq response.

Yeah, the only reason I thought about two sets of components was to balance out the bass, mids, and highs. Since having a 15" behind your head will be pretty loud, I would need something to compensate.

I am actually thinking of just putting the 5x7 Rainbow SLC's in the doors, in the factory 6x8 location, getting a new eD NINe.2 to run them, ditch the kick panel ideas and calling that my front stage.

Sound logical?

helotaxi
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
5x7s ****. You should be able to get a set of 6.5s in the spot of the factory speakers. Mount the tweeter high on the door or next to the mid.

Trepkos
05-25-2008, 05:09 PM
5x7s ****. You should be able to get a set of 6.5s in the spot of the factory speakers. Mount the tweeter high on the door or next to the mid.

I thought the 5x7's would be better because I wouldn't have to cut another baffle for a 6.5" driver.

helotaxi
05-26-2008, 12:14 AM
How were you planning on mounting the 5x7s? They aren't 6x8s either.

Trepkos
05-26-2008, 01:01 AM
How were you planning on mounting the 5x7s? They aren't 6x8s either.

Most people group the two sizes together. So I figured they would fit similar or easier than any other size driver in that location.

helotaxi
05-26-2008, 02:13 AM
They group the two sizes together because they're both OEM replacement sizes. They're not interchangeable though.