PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how many times we have to say this, but...

PV Audio
05-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Sketchup does NOT design boxes, nor has it ever, nor will it ever. I don't care if it looks cool or whatever else you might think when using it: you're not designing an enclosure. Sketchup is a very useful, but completely unnecessary aid to enclosure design. It's used to visualize and nothing more. If you don't already have an enclosure design before making it into 3D, stop, pick up a book and learn what you're doing so you don't keep flooding the forum with "problems with my box, does this design look better" because you didn't actually design anything.

That's all, hopefully someone will realize that their enclosure was tuned to ~80hz not because sketchup wasn't good, but because they had no clue what they were doing.

:fyi:

dman4486
05-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Sketchup does NOT design boxes, nor has it ever, nor will it ever. I don't care if it looks cool or whatever else you might think when using it: you're not designing an enclosure. Sketchup is a very useful, but completely unnecessary aid to enclosure design. It's used to visualize and nothing more. If you don't already have an enclosure design before making it into 3D, stop, pick up a book and learn what you're doing so you don't keep flooding the forum with "problems with my box, does this design look better" because you didn't actually design anything.

That's all, hopefully someone will realize that their enclosure was tuned to ~80hz not because sketchup wasn't good, but because they had no clue what they were doing.

:fyi:

I would like a link to said thread(s) because I missed them and need a good laugh:confused:

NewAgeKing
05-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Sketchup *****. I downloaded it for something to do one day. I went to install and it locked up, then my norton antvi-virus flipped out and my windows said critical error and shut-down. It wouldnt boot up so i went into safe-mode and did a restore. Im lucky that the restore for vista ACTUALLY worked, and im good to go again.

dman4486
05-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Sketchup *****. I downloaded it for something to do one day. I went to install and it locked up, then my norton antvi-virus flipped out and my windows said critical error and shut-down. It wouldnt boot up so i went into safe-mode and did a restore. Im lucky that the restore for vista ACTUALLY worked, and im good to go again.

that is not a sketch-up problem....that is a vista/norton problem...

P.S. NORTON SUX

PV Audio
05-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I would like a link to said thread(s) because I missed them and need a good laugh:confused:They're ****ing everywhere. For example, the thread below this one called something "anyone see problems with this box". Dude drew some lines in sketchup then asked if it was legit.

hoxie08
05-24-2008, 11:53 AM

sounds like your comp *****

PV Audio
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Sketchup *****. I downloaded it for something to do one day. I went to install and it locked up, then my norton antvi-virus flipped out and my windows said critical error and shut-down. It wouldnt boot up so i went into safe-mode and did a restore. Im lucky that the restore for vista ACTUALLY worked, and im good to go again.No, that's a norton problem. I've owned every make of sketchup since beta 4, and run vista on 6 pro right now and have zero problems.

hoxie08
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
oh and i use sketchup to design my boxes.

what now!

but really, once i figure out what i want i do draw it up on sketchup. always easier for me to make sure i have all the right measurements when i have a virtual model of what im actually putting together..

edit: oh and i dont just draw lines either i do the whole panel of wood and everything lol. makes it easier to get measurements without ****ing them up.

PV Audio
05-24-2008, 11:56 AM
oh and i use sketchup to design my boxes.

what now!

but really, once i figure out what i want i do draw it up on sketchup. always easier for me to make sure i have all the right measurements when i have a virtual model of what im actually putting together..Drawing lines and eyeballing dimensions != to making a design.

To all alleged sketchup designers, if you can't design a box without just using a pencil and paper, sketchup isn't going to help you. Same goes for enclosure design programs: you must learn what the program is doing for it to benefit you the most.

PV Audio
05-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't claim to know everything nor a lot about enclosure design, as people here like Ion and JBL are far more skilled, BUT, I am fairly positive that most designers here (like myself) didn't even know wtf sketchup was when starting.

dman4486
05-24-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't claim to know everything nor a lot about enclosure design, as people here like Ion and JBL are far more skilled, BUT, I am fairly positive that most designers here (like myself) didn't even know wtf sketchup was when starting.

I used sketch-up to model my first design....then used that to make a cut sheet:D

then my computer crashed and I lost the original file:crap:

PV Audio
05-24-2008, 12:02 PM
I used sketch-up to model my first design....then used that to make a cut sheet:D

then my computer crashed and I lost the original file:crap:
FAIL! :laugh:

dman4486
05-24-2008, 12:03 PM
FAIL! :laugh:

I spent forever working on that ****, then when I went to print the cutsheet IBM boned me:furious:

hoxie08
05-24-2008, 12:03 PM

exactly. nothing wrong with it.

Drawing lines and eyeballing dimensions != to making a design.

To all alleged sketchup designers, if you can't design a box without just using a pencil and paper, sketchup isn't going to help you. Same goes for enclosure design programs: you must learn what the program is doing for it to benefit you the most.

well, I've been using sketchup for about 4 years now. So i KNOW what it is and everything there is to know about it. I used it for 1 year straight doing projects in EAST (including measuring and doing a complete copy of our school in sketchup).

Like I said. Sketchup just makes it easier to know exactly what dimension. I can do it on paper. BUT, I am a visual person. I like to be able to see stuff, not just have numbers on the page. I want to know what what I am making looks like. And no one can say I'm any less of a "designer" than themselves because I don't just use a piece of paper and a pencil, because that is bullshit.

THUMPPER
05-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree
sketchup is NOT a design tool for woofer enclosures

sketchup is a simple CAD program that can be used to display
the looks,shape and dimensions of an object...
""the object must be designed by other meanes first""

it has NO helpfull design features that can not be done by my 8
year daughter with a crayon

hell an Autistic person could probably use sketchup to show you
how the universe comes to an end (when in reality all you get is a popcorn fart)

hoxie08
05-24-2008, 12:30 PM
how the universe comes to an end (when in reality all you get is a popcorn fart)

what the **** did that have to do with anything?

troll.

THUMPPER
05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Lmao.....

hoxie08
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
lol. that last part confused me man. i was reading reading then like i was totally somewhere else lol.

lilmaniac2
05-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I draw houses in sketchup

dman4486
05-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I draw houses in sketchup

do you sell the DESIGNS for :greedy:

lilmaniac2
05-24-2008, 12:39 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee235/hicksc16/ModularKitchenAppliances.jpg

Mr Cabinetry
05-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree
sketchup is NOT a design tool for woofer enclosures

sketchup is a simple CAD program that can be used to display
the looks,shape and dimensions of an object...
""the object must be designed by other meanes first""

it has NO helpfull design features that can not be done by my 8
year daughter with a crayon

I have to respectfully disagree with the statement " it has NO helpfull design features " when in fact it has one design feature I have used with many of the more complex enclosure designs that I have drafted with Sketch Up.

SketchUp has the feature of allowing for determining the Square Inches of given design detail for which volume can be determined.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

IDSkoT
05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
I'll admit that SketchUp is not for designing boxes, but it does come in handy a lot for visualizing your build. I do the math, then I use SketckUp so I know what I'm gunna go into my build with. I assemble it in SketchUp so I'm basically practicing for when I actually do it.

But that's just me.

IDSkoT
05-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the statement " it has NO helpfull design features " when in fact it has one design feature I have used with many of the more complex enclosure designs that I have drafted with Sketch Up.

SketchUp has the feature of allowing for determining the Square Inches of given design detail for which volume can be determined.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

Well, it just finds the In^2 of that one panel and not of the entire enclosure.

It's good to figure out how much wood you need, but other than that, the feature is pretty much useless.
Unless there's a way to the the In^2 of the whole thing?
If so, tell me. 'cause that'd be mad helpful.

Mr Cabinetry
05-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I'll admit that SketchUp is not for designing boxes, but it does come in handy a lot for visualizing your build. I do the math, then I use SketckUp so I know what I'm gunna go into my build with. I assemble it in SketchUp so I'm basically practicing for when I actually do it.

But that's just me.

Exactly, all SketchUp does is allow a person the ability to " DRAFT " the design of the enclosure in a true 3 dimensional detail to visualize the design to which the design will reveal certain elements that may or may not present an issue in the cutting and assembly phase, especially when the enclosure design is complex.

I use it more for draft design tool for enclosure's where issue's of subwoofer mounting application come into question as to whether a subwoofer will or will not fit and the only way to do so is to know the subwoofer's physical dimensions to deal with clearance problems.

Much like the one that another thread poster made an inquiry to what subwoofer would or would fit:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316678

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

Mr Cabinetry
05-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Well, it just finds the In^2 of that one panel and not of the entire enclosure.

It's good to figure out how much wood you need, but other than that, the feature is pretty much useless.
Unless there's a way to the the In^2 of the whole thing?
If so, tell me. 'cause that'd be mad helpful.

OK, example: This is the side profile of a 94-96 Impala SS enclosure for which I have built plenty in many variations for all different types of subwoofers.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Impala%20Boxes/Dimensions-SideProfile.jpg

Both the exterior and interior dims are noted and as most folks they would break up the interior into separate elements to determine the sq. in area as shown:

Each color block would represent how someone may break it down and determine the sq. in. for each doing the math, thus add it all together to arrive at the TOTAL sq.in.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Impala%20Boxes/SideProfile.jpg

In SketchUP, the same detail I can find the total sq.in. by merely using the Select Tool, right click the area, a window pops up and I select Entity Info and the Entity Info Tab pops open and shows me the exact Sq. In. of that detail.

Then I just do the math - Sq.In x Length 1728 = CU.FT.

However, if there are multiple Entity's that have to be done to determine the volume of a design, I created a calculator in Excel that does the math for me.

All I have to do is drop in the Sq. In & Length and the calculator gives me the cu.ft. for each entity and total them together to arrive at the TOTAL VOLUME.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

THUMPPER
05-24-2008, 02:26 PM

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

by bad....it has 1 feature

PV Audio
05-24-2008, 04:04 PM

But that's just me.No, but that's what I do. What I'm talking about is just drawing something rectangular and making it look like a box without knowing the cubic feet or port tuning.