PDA

View Full Version : why do people use tweeters...

burro breath
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
why do people use tweeters and not the higher quality compresion driver? have always been curious about this and personally have heard both and prefer the compresion driver due to its crips clean sound.

Lil Poot
05-21-2008, 07:38 PM
dont compression drivers need a horn to do their thing? kind of a PITA to install horns.

burro breath
05-21-2008, 07:46 PM
not always.. the jbl 075 i have in my room is a bullet compresion driver and cant be used with a horn. off of 20 watts rms it will go so loud that my ears start to feel as though someone is poking my inner ear with a needle.

Fast1one
05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome :)

Audio Junkies
05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.

thehardknoxlife
05-21-2008, 08:29 PM
It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.
.....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........

MrDave
05-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.

Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.

joetama
05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome :)

Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers? :laugh:

Truth.

.....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........

Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.

I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.

Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.

Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.

BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy. :fyi:

Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.

Slammed
05-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I miss my horns :(

bose301s
05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers? :laugh:

Truth.

Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.

Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.

BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy. :fyi:

Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.

If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.

joetama
05-21-2008, 08:49 PM
If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.

Well to clarify.

I thought about that when I posted. And here is my answer.

I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.

bose301s
05-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Well to clarify.

I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

Fast1one
05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Well to clarify.

However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.Truth...

The car audio environment has so many reflective surfaces that hard domes are usually fairly harsh...

joetama
05-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I try to think things out and speak the truth.

I guess it happens once in a while... :laugh: