PDA

View Full Version : Designing IB

SasquatchBump
05-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Ive been looking for instructions to build a IB box for a while but cant seem to find any.
Would it be the same as a sealed box except put the sub the other way?

Randy Savage
05-21-2003, 08:56 PM
No...that would just be a sealed box with an inverted driver...

Read this- http://www.maximacar.com/infinite_baffle.htm

paikiah
05-21-2003, 08:58 PM
isn't IB just a word for free air (reg. Stillwater Corp.)?

SasquatchBump
05-21-2003, 09:02 PM
dammit. I drive a probe( it has a hatch) that rules it out for me....

I guess it would Kind of be IB if I made a HUGE sealed box.

paikiah
05-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by SasquatchBump
dammit. I drive a probe( it has a hatch) that rules it out for me....

I guess it would Kind of be IB if I made a HUGE sealed box.

true dat...

Hey, a hatch COULD have an IB config, if you make yourself a new deck or soemthing, with proper seals. Also, the boot could have leaks and the sub won't sound AS good, but heck, I' sure it'll do the job nevertheless. :)

SasquatchBump
05-21-2003, 09:08 PM
true. well, if you bought some sound absorber material and lined the back of a sealed box with it, it would help big time.

Also, I still want hatch space.....

paikiah
05-21-2003, 09:17 PM
true. well, if you bought some sound absorber material and lined the back of a sealed box with it, it would help big time.

Also, I still want hatch space.....

How about 8" subs then? It won't be very impressive, but you would still get decent bass, won't you?

I don't know if they still sell aperiodic membranes. They used to be hot when it was first introduced, and at that time, a lot of people were either using IB or bandpass (95~96).
The membranes were supposed to control the pressure of the cones to mimic enclosure pressure.

I used to have twin 10" kicker free air subs(think it was 10"), and wasn't too bad (upgraded from a single 12" first-generation earthquake sub in a relatively large sealed box, was too big).

SasquatchBump
05-21-2003, 09:19 PM
I drive a probe( it has a hatch)

There ya go :)

I just did a search for some foam, they still make it but I cant find a place to buy it.

I was actually looking at an O series sub.

paikiah
05-21-2003, 09:31 PM
There ya go :)

I just did a search for some foam, they still make it but I cant find a place to buy it.

I was actually looking at an O series sub.

edited my post after I posted it, my bad...:)
Foam? For sealing off your hatch? Hmmm, maybe weather stripping might seal it somewhat, and with the help of silicone, you might just get yourself a decent sealed rear compartment. I'd imagine the rear deck would have to be fabricated from either thick MDF (to support the weight of the subs) or multi-layered fiberglass. FIberglass might be a bett option if you wnat to attempt a good seal.

No one can say that the O sounds good, I'm sure you know, but guessing from all of previous ED products, it's got a very slim chance of letting people down.

SasquatchBump
05-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Well, since I asked Ben Milne about it on Soundillusion.net and HE personally runs a prototype O in his car, Im gonna tend to believe him :)

The foam I was refferring to is sound absorbant foam ( stiff foam) but I dont know if it'll work. ****. I was so excited for IB too.

paikiah
05-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Well, since I asked Ben Milne about it on Soundillusion.net and HE personally runs a prototype O in his car, Im gonna tend to believe him :)

The foam I was refferring to is sound absorbant foam ( stiff foam) but I dont know if it'll work. ****. I was so excited for IB too.

well, if he runs it, I guess it's good for most people..:)