PDA

View Full Version : need help build a box....

BigYellowBlur78
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a 02 Silverado and want to install 2 12's under the rear seat. Right now I have a makeshift box that I tried building and it turned out like crap. My question is does it matter how deep the box is because there isn't much room under the seat for me to build a deep box. Could I still get a good sound if I were to build the box with a bigger width and length rather than height?

psych0ticnemes1
05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Dimensions don't matter as long as your sub fits and has a little clearance. What matters most is volume. If you can't go ported then a bigger sealed box will help with low end output.

maldecido33
05-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Make sure there is enough room to mount the subs, though.

Mr Cabinetry
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I have a 02 Silverado and want to install 2 12's under the rear seat. Right now I have a makeshift box that I tried building and it turned out like crap. My question is does it matter how deep the box is because there isn't much room under the seat for me to build a deep box. Could I still get a good sound if I were to build the box with a bigger width and length rather than height?

This is the basic foot print of what the enclosure would appear as to fit under the seat of the silverado using all the area under the seat:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/MrCabinetry/Chevy%20PU%20Box/BoxMeasurements-1.jpg

Based on that the total volume of the enclosure is 2.56 cu.ft. made with 3/4" MDF.

So, depending on the 12's you want to use and allowing for the bottom sections to be elevated off the floor for the subwoofers to be fired downward, you may or may not have enough mounting depth.

In most cases for the enclosure's at I have built for a single 12" ported, the seat has/had to be raised 2" for the spec's of the enclosure given the 12 being used.

Phil
Woodlawn Cabinetry

disturbed_won
02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
i know this is an old thread but i too need a box for this particular truck the box that phil has designed is it with the 2" seat raise or not?