PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade mah door speakers

PV Audio
05-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Hey all, need some advice. Right now I've got some unamplified JL VR coaxes in my doors and I couldn't be more displeased with them. They don't sound particularly good and don't have enough output to make me happy. I'm looking for a set of coaxes or comps (I have tweeter pods in the pillars, ya think aftermarket tweets can fit there?) to use with an amp for <200. What would you suggest? Car is 02 Civic Si if you're wondering.

-Dave

mlstrass
05-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Try amping the speakers you have as nothing sounds very good or loud off HU power...

PV Audio
05-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Maybe, but they sounded pretty iffy when I auditioned them, but I just needed audio at the time. Funny how that works out.

sqhertz
05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
im loving my new pioneer ts-d's. got them amped seeing about 60w a piece. i think they sound excellent.

Echo42987
05-19-2008, 05:11 PM
For some reason I think you shouold know all the answers to these questions already. Especially with 17,000+ posts....

djman37
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
For some reason I think you shouold know all the answers to these questions already. Especially with 17,000+ posts....

:laugh::crying::laugh::crying:

i hear people like the pioneer REV stuff.

I like my Illuison luccent mids for cheap and my mach5 SLi's too.
Tweets from madisound and you're ready to go.

UCF52
05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
mach5 SLi's too.
Tweets from madisound and you're ready to go.

MLI's...? A popular tweet is the Seas Neo from Madisound, as djman mentioned. There are a slew of mids out there, but the ID OEM, Mach's, and Dayton RS, in my opinion seem to be the best values (based on what I have read). I would like to try the OEM's... if my deck ever gets here :mad:

kovemaster559
05-19-2008, 07:17 PM
i like the soundstream stuff .preety good ive pushed them clean and man do they get loud and clean u can get better for more money but if u need something that handles great power and sounds relativly good i would recomend soundstream ive got the rf60 comps and i got two sets of5.25 cheap 50 dollar sets

PV Audio
05-20-2008, 12:33 AM
For some reason I think you shouold know all the answers to these questions already. Especially with 17,000+ posts....You should also know that after being here for almost 3 years that I do zero car audio whatsoever outside of building and designing enclosures. I'm far more interested in home audio theory and applications than car audio. :)

bigbangtheory
05-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Check into the PG Rsd's. I know they are a huge forum boner and a few people have had problems with them, but for 87smacks shipped from Audiosavings, they are hard to beat.

Love mine so far. Only had them a week though. Like I keep saying, time tells all.

PV Audio
05-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks BBT, I'll check 'em out. :)

Keith H
05-20-2008, 02:12 AM
I have 2 pairs of MINT Infinity Reference 6.5" comps. PM me if interested.

btdickey99
05-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Check into the PG Rsd's. I know they are a huge forum boner and a few people have had problems with them, but for 87smacks shipped from Audiosavings, they are hard to beat.

Love mine so far. Only had them a week though. Like I keep saying, time tells all.

I dont think this is the best dcision for him. they need atleast 100w to atleast get going and he has stated that he doesnt have an amp to them....

bigbangtheory
05-20-2008, 02:19 AM
I dont think this is the best dcision for him. they need atleast 100w to atleast get going and he has stated that he doesnt have an amp to them....

I lol at those people!

Have 75rms to each side and perform perfect for my tastes............and I have had over 150db vehichles with many highs, probably to many highs and these do just fine with 75rms.

Those people saying that, either don't know what they are talking about, or don't have them and just saying to say.

I do recommend a good clean 75x2rms amp though.

PV Audio
05-20-2008, 03:02 AM
I dont think this is the best dcision for him. they need atleast 100w to atleast get going and he has stated that he doesnt have an amp to them....There shall be an amplifier :)

Looking at 70w x 4 via some Memphis that my friend is gonna sell me for making his HDC box. Minus whale throw in some rear fill for fun too, no? Just gotta figure those bastages out though.

ENDER_XVICM
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I would start with amping those JLs and see if you like it. If you do upgrade though, let me know. I might be interested in those JL speakers.

Fast1one
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
You should also know that after being here for almost 3 years that I do zero car audio whatsoever outside of building and designing enclosures. I'm far more interested in home audio theory and applications than car audio. :)Car audio is so much funner from a challenge perspective...

Home audio is definitely fun though. SO much easier to get great sound...

As far as speakers, look into the Cadence

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=126&idproduct=194

Best 75 dollar components I have ever heard, bar none, though I haven't heard the RSDs yet...

PV Audio
05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Aight, I'll look into the cadence and the PG. Still, will I be able to fit the component tweets in my existing pillar tweeter pods?

mokedaddy
05-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Aight, I'll look into the cadence and the PG. Still, will I be able to fit the component tweets in my existing pillar tweeter pods?

It may take a little fabrication but I see no reason why not.

djman37
05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
MLI's...? A popular tweet is the Seas Neo from Madisound, as djman mentioned. There are a slew of mids out there, but the ID OEM, Mach's, and Dayton RS, in my opinion seem to be the best values (based on what I have read). I would like to try the OEM's... if my deck ever gets here :mad:

yeah, my bad.

Echo42987
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
You should also know that after being here for almost 3 years that I do zero car audio whatsoever outside of building and designing enclosures. I'm far more interested in home audio theory and applications than car audio. :)

This is true but you wouldn't be active on this forum if you didn't know anything about caraudio. But eh just bustin' your balls.

Just do the PG's it's been the boner around here for awhile.

-Nick-

bigbangtheory
05-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Those PG tweets are pretty big though. Not sure if they would fit right in. Might have to do some fab to them.