PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer box design and Qts value

Jules333
05-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Gday everyone,
Just a quick question...
I was reading on another website (http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/) that ported boxes should really only be for subwoofers with a Qts below 0.5 (or preferably 0.4). I havent seen this anywhere else and cant find it anywhere else on this forum. I was wondering if this is true? And how valid do you think it is? It makes sense in my head when i think about all the definitions, but i'm just surprised i haven't read it anywhere else?
My sub has a Qts of 0.72, its a pioneer 12inch, 800 watt. I was planning on building a ported box, but not so sure now...

Cheers,
Jules

Oh, and another question... would a sealed box that is closer to the upper recommended volume (2.0 cu.ft) sound more like a ported box than if i built it closer to the minimum size (1.0cu.ft)? Or is it just always better to build for the recommended size (1.5cu.ft). I have a large station wagon (estate), so space isnt an issue. (i also realize that people probably have different opinions but I'm sure they'll all help me decide!)

Thanks again!

Jules333
05-19-2008, 11:57 PM
bump!
(need some quick feedback so i can choose and start building either a sealed or ported box!)
Cheers