PDA

View Full Version : help please



EPanther99
05-20-2003, 05:38 PM
ok i am going to get a vented box and i was wondering if this box looked good size wise for a 12" L7 i want to order it but i just wanted to see if anyone thought it may not be a good size to use, thanks
John

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3024157154&category=14945

violator5spd
05-20-2003, 05:44 PM
It looks fine to me...but I wonder what it's tuned to?

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by violator5spd
It looks fine to me...but I wonder what it's tuned to?

im not sure, what does the different tuning freq. do to the sound of the sub? i havent had a ported/vented box in like 7 or 8 years my last one was a ported box with 2 12" MTX terminators so i never really messed with them before....

violator5spd
05-20-2003, 05:51 PM
In general, the lower the tuning frequency then the deeper that bass, and the higher the frequency, the more "boomy" it will sound. I'd bet it's tuned between 36 & 40hz, which isn't bad for an L7.

Randy Savage
05-20-2003, 05:52 PM
well, in general, a higher tuning will yield higher SPL levels at it's peak, but will leave you with a peaky response and not too good of low end extention....

When tuning lower, you will have a flatter response, but you will lose that high peak...

Basically, lower tuning (IMO 25-33 hz) will yield nice SQ, and 34+ will yield higher SPL levels (this is just a general idea of frequency ranges).

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 05:56 PM
i just emailed the company and asked what it was tuned at, accroding to kicker the L7 is supposed to be a lot louder in a vented encloser then in a sealed box, they also reccomend using a 25hz sub soinc filter to increase the power handling so i proabably wouldnt want to tune it at liek 25-30hz bc it seams liek it would take a way a lot of the output, i guess also if i dont liek the sound of it in that box i can always get a sealed box for it, thats what i had my 15" L7s in and they sounded good.

Randy Savage
05-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by EPanther99
i just emailed the company and asked what it was tuned at, accroding to kicker the L7 is supposed to be a lot louder in a vented encloser then in a sealed box, they also reccomend using a 25hz sub soinc filter to increase the power handling so i proabably wouldnt want to tune it at liek 25-30hz bc it seams liek it would take a way a lot of the output, i guess also if i dont liek the sound of it in that box i can always get a sealed box for it, thats what i had my 15" L7s in and they sounded good.

a sub sonic filter won't increase anything, it will just protect the driver from killing it's suspension at frequencies under the tuning...

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by snova031
a sub sonic filter won't increase anything, it will just protect the driver from killing it's suspension at frequencies under the tuning...

well an L7 can handle 750 rms but in a vented encloser without a subsonic filter it can only handle 400 rms....

"recommended power range 75-750 watts RMS with the use of an optional 25Hz subsonic filter; otherwise 75-400 watts RMS"; Kicker Web site

also a vented box increases the sensitivity of the L7 in a sealed box it is 87db and in a vented enclosure it rises to 93db.

Randy Savage
05-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by EPanther99
well an L7 can handle 750 rms but in a vented encloser without a subsonic filter it can only handle 400 rms....

"recommended power range 75-750 watts RMS with the use of an optional 25Hz subsonic filter; otherwise 75-400 watts RMS"; Kicker Web site

also a vented box increases the sensitivity of the L7 in a sealed box it is 87db and in a vented enclosure it rises to 93db.

Well, this is what happens. When you go below the boxes tuned frequency, the subwoofer has to rely on its own suspension to control the driver...which can cause damage with lower power levels than the sub is even rated for...

So, you are saying, that if I put an L7 in a ported box, tuned it at 30 hz or so, gave it 750 watts, and played a 35 hz tone it would blow?

All a SSF does is cut off the frequencies under which it is set at...it does not increase/decrease a drivers power handling...

paikiah
05-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by EPanther99
well an L7 can handle 750 rms but in a vented encloser without a subsonic filter it can only handle 400 rms....

"recommended power range 75-750 watts RMS with the use of an optional 25Hz subsonic filter; otherwise 75-400 watts RMS"; Kicker Web site

also a vented box increases the sensitivity of the L7 in a sealed box it is 87db and in a vented enclosure it rises to 93db.

and that's what snova's trying to tell you...

a subsonic filter will protect the subwoofer itself, so you can send more and more watts to it without the need to care about the subs going into over-excusrion. RMS 75~400w would probably mean that the subs will operate within it's limits, so it's safe without a subsonic filter.

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by snova031
Well, this is what happens. When you go below the boxes tuned frequency, the subwoofer has to rely on its own suspension to control the driver...which can cause damage with lower power levels than the sub is even rated for...

So, you are saying, that if I put an L7 in a ported box, tuned it at 30 hz or so, gave it 750 watts, and played a 35 hz tone it would blow?

All a SSF does is cut off the frequencies under which it is set at...it does not increase/decrease a drivers power handling...


i am not saying it cuts down the subs power handling, im saying KICKER...who makes the speaker says you should use one.....i know what a ssf is...i also know what it does...without one in the vented bx you will get exsesive port nosie due to the fact that the speaker will be moving so rapidly to create the low freq, and yes i know it has to rely on its on suspension it owuld be acting almost like a free air speeaker, but it still definatly increases the sesitivity of the sub bc it uses the power more efficently....and about the wattage to blow the speaker, i dont know, i was just coping exactly what the Kicker web site wrote...

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
and that's what snova's trying to tell you...

a subsonic filter will protect the subwoofer itself, so you can send more and more watts to it without the need to care about the subs going into over-excusrion. RMS 75~400w would probably mean that the subs will operate within it's limits, so it's safe without a subsonic filter.

i know its safe to use one without one, but not at very high power, im going to be putting about 900-1000 watts rms to the sub so i just assume not spend another 180 bucks to buy another L7 just bc i didnt want to use the filter....the whole reason for this post was just to see if anyone thoght that box in the link would be alright for the L7

paikiah
05-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by EPanther99
i am not saying it cuts down the subs power handling, im saying KICKER...who makes the speaker says you should use one.....i know what a ssf is...i also know what it does...without one in the vented bx you will get exsesive port nosie due to the fact that the speaker will be moving so rapidly to create the low freq, and yes i know it has to rely on its on suspension it owuld be acting almost like a free air speeaker, but it still definatly increases the sesitivity of the sub bc it uses the power more efficently....and about the wattage to blow the speaker, i dont know, i was just coping exactly what the Kicker web site wrote...


I don't think ssf's are meant to reduce prot noise either, although it MIGHT help, since 20Hz would mean a lot of air moved.

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
I don't think ssf's are meant to reduce prot noise either, although it MIGHT help, since 20Hz would mean a lot of air moved.

like i said im not just pullin this stuff out of thin air its all on kicker website and in the manuals for the speakers....but you answered your own question about not cutting down ports noise....20hz would be a ton of moving air whichin coming through the prot would be a lot of noise but if it cant get it to make it then there is no noise from it...

paikiah
05-20-2003, 10:22 PM
port noise would not be heard if you calculate correctly and try to get port velocity under 25m/s. Usually, a slot port would suffice, as they can be large, but also, the larger the port, the longer it gets.

Try to tinker around in WinISD pro, with both the cone travel and rear port velocity in mind.

THe ssf will simply cut anything under the set frequency.

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 10:29 PM
with all this said, do you think that box would suffice?

EPanther99
05-21-2003, 11:18 PM
ok i ordered the box, the company said it was tuned right around 40hz so will i be dissapointed with that? or is that a good tunning point?

paikiah
05-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by EPanther99
ok i ordered the box, the company said it was tuned right around 40hz so will i be dissapointed with that? or is that a good tunning point?

it's gonna be mighty LOUD...

EPanther99
05-22-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by paikiah
it's gonna be mighty LOUD...

sweet...i hope so, my amps birth sheet says 1184 watts so hopefully ill be able to push it pretty hard....

paikiah
05-22-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by EPanther99
sweet...i hope so, my amps birth sheet says 1184 watts so hopefully ill be able to push it pretty hard....

wow, that's a bit much...

but seeing that people in the forum has crammed more power into an L7, I guess it would simply pound and pound away...dang, I want one of those too

EPanther99
05-22-2003, 01:46 AM
yeah i think the speaker will handle it....i paid $195 including shipping for the L7 the amp on the other hand, i wish i never sold the other one i had....i had a pair of the priginal beta digitals the only ones you can get your hands on now have ben broke and fixed and i have heard form quite a few people they they blow up quickly....i have had mine for about 4 or so years now and i love it, the max current draw is only 80 amps and like the birthsheet says it makes 1184 watts....

paikiah
05-22-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by EPanther99
yeah i think the speaker will handle it....i paid $195 including shipping for the L7 the amp on the other hand, i wish i never sold the other one i had....i had a pair of the priginal beta digitals the only ones you can get your hands on now have ben broke and fixed and i have heard form quite a few people they they blow up quickly....i have had mine for about 4 or so years now and i love it, the max current draw is only 80 amps and like the birthsheet says it makes 1184 watts....

have lots of fun with it man...

I've been looking around for good L7 deals here, ever since someone tested the L7 against the HC, DD amongst others, and the L7 was LOUD...

Of course, there are many variables to the test that could've been changed to let others have another chance, but dang, still loud man...

EPanther99
05-22-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by paikiah
have lots of fun with it man...

I've been looking around for good L7 deals here, ever since someone tested the L7 against the HC, DD amongst others, and the L7 was LOUD...

Of course, there are many variables to the test that could've been changed to let others have another chance, but dang, still loud man...

arent electronics a lot cheaper over there? i have an uncle that lives in thailand and he said he can get everything way cheaper then over here....

paikiah
05-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by EPanther99
arent electronics a lot cheaper over there? i have an uncle that lives in thailand and he said he can get everything way cheaper then over here....

hmmm...

US made amps? Nope, expensive.

RF 1000bd = $1300~1400

Zapco C2K 9.0 = $2000~$2200.

Korean made amps are a whole lot cheaper though... the same makers that produce OEM stuff for rebadged amps over in the US. Sorry, can't say which.

on another note, Thailand is about 7 hours away by flight. Thailand and Korea is a very different country. It'd be like me saying that Panama and the US is the same thing. ;)

EPanther99
05-28-2003, 02:45 PM
just an update i bought the box, and i got the sub and all my new wiring, now all i have to do is pick out a new car to put it all in....so as soon as i do ill post some pics of the install oh and by the way the L7 12 sounds awesome in the vented box, and its is one of the nicest pre made boxes i have ever seen, it is tight wrapped in black vinyl and and 1/4 inch ABS plastic protectors on the ends, i would highly reccomended it to anyone who wants a nice vented box, and it was only $35 + s/h i wired it all up and put the sub in and my dolby digital home reciever has 6 channels including the powered sub so i hooked it up to the low pass on that and played a little music and it sounded great and the best part was it could only have been getting 100 watts at the max....

paikiah
05-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by EPanther99
just an update i bought the box, and i got the sub and all my new wiring, now all i have to do is pick out a new car to put it all in....so as soon as i do ill post some pics of the install oh and by the way the L7 12 sounds awesome in the vented box, and its is one of the nicest pre made boxes i have ever seen, it is tight wrapped in black vinyl and and 1/4 inch ABS plastic protectors on the ends, i would highly reccomended it to anyone who wants a nice vented box, and it was only $35 + s/h i wired it all up and put the sub in and my dolby digital home reciever has 6 channels including the powered sub so i hooked it up to the low pass on that and played a little music and it sounded great and the best part was it could only have been getting 100 watts at the max....

Speakers would sound mighty different in a car. But anyhow, congrats on your box and sub dude.... *sigh* another member with more watts going to a single sub than the total peak power of my system...:(

EPanther99
05-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
Speakers would sound mighty different in a car. But anyhow, congrats on your box and sub dude.... *sigh* another member with more watts going to a single sub than the total peak power of my system...:(


oh yeah i know the sub will sound a ton different in the car.....quite a bit louder...the in the house stuff was mostly my 10 yr old kid popping out bc i oculd wait for xmas morning to listent to the sub in the car.