PDA

View Full Version : crackle

ccaps83
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
put new s[eakers in. i have factory head unit in alero. deffinantly hookd up correctly. polk 4x6 mommo. 50rms i knw the head unit isnt strong enough for them but the car already had aftermarket speakers in and they didnt crackle and my rears still dont crackle, is it just cuz these polk are double the power then the old ones? should i worry that they are bad speakers i bought brand new. when ur turn volume down they stop crackling. any help thanks.

richierich75
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
put new s[eakers in. i have factory head unit in alero. deffinantly hookd up correctly. polk 4x6 mommo. 50rms i knw the head unit isnt strong enough for them but the car already had aftermarket speakers in and they didnt crackle and my rears still dont crackle, is it just cuz these polk are double the power then the old ones? should i worry that they are bad speakers i bought brand new. when ur turn volume down they stop crackling. any help thanks.

then they are definitly not hooked up correctly

DejaWiz
05-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Re-check your wiring and make sure the positive wires are going to the positive terminals and the negative wires to the negative terminals.

ccaps83
05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
u dont think its just cause they are 50rms speakers with a factory headunit? plus the issue that they car has factory tweeters just taking even more power.

well lets make sure, i checked the wiring and everyone told me for alero

LF Speaker +/- tan - gray +,- radio harness
Notes: If equipped, the amplifier is in the driver side on the trunk.
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - dk. green +,- radio harness

is this incorrect i follwed these guidelines.

so can someone who knowes for sure let me knw what is positive and negative for the front doors on a 04 alero?

DejaWiz
05-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Start swapping the positive and negative per speaker one by one and see if it goes away.

Hintzyboy
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
If you are using a stock head unit, you might be clipping the amp because most aftermarket speakers have 4 ohm coils and most stock HUs run at 8ohms IIRC

Hintzyboy
05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Just buy a cheap four channel or a cheap aftermarket HU

ccaps83
05-15-2008, 04:23 PM
why would them being connected backwords cause them to crack i thought cracking or clipping was just a power issue? idk tho again my other aftermarket speakers didnt crack or clip.

DejaWiz
05-15-2008, 05:03 PM
You'd be surprised at what can cause these kinds of issues.

ccaps83
05-15-2008, 05:17 PM
so ill probably also hear a little more bass also then when they are put back in phase then again cant much be coming from a 4 inch speaker.

DejaWiz
05-15-2008, 05:25 PM
It's possible, you might be able to.

ccaps83
05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
ok ill post results tonight thanks for help

MrDave
05-15-2008, 07:32 PM
If you are using a stock head unit, you might be clipping the amp because most aftermarket speakers have 4 ohm coils and most stock HUs run at 8ohms IIRC

Agreed.

I've only experienced crackling with stock head units, or bad wires/rcas.

Ryan from Ohio
05-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I see common sense evades some still.

Someone almost hit the head on the nail.

What you got here is your replacement speaker is 4 Ohms and you have the factory tweeter wired in also (its a 4 Ohm). So you have the headunit bridged. You cant do that, period.

Your speaker will operate no different in phase or out of phase outside of the phase shift. Anyone who says anything different obviously has no place answering technical questions.

BTW see you on the Alero board!

Hintzyboy
05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Was not aware that the Aleros had a separate factory tweeter

Ryan from Ohio
05-15-2008, 09:56 PM
lol, ya the OP fails to post a full description. Hes asking about stuff on another board. Only reason Ive been able to determine it was the added info here.

Also note hes running a stock head. Replacement 4x6's or whatever (2 ways probably) and hes trying to run the stock tweeter... lmao.

Ive told him now a few times to ditch the stock tweeter, doest want to listen I guess.