PDA

View Full Version : Need help removin stuck philips screws.....

Y2A
05-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Im trying to install a Pioneer 740MP h/u into my 02 Accord with the Double DIN stock radio. After removing the center dash panel, I had no problem removing 2 upper philips screws that held the radio. But the two bottom screws are where im having problems. They're impossible for me to get off, I've even broke a piece of one of my philips screwdrivers trying to take one off!

So what should I use to take it off?

Gauntlet
05-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Are they just in really really tight, or are they stripped?

Y2A
05-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Gauntlet
Are they just in really really tight, or are they stripped?

they're in pretty tight:mad:

Gauntlet
05-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Y2A
they're in pretty tight:mad:

There are many things you can do

1) Get a phillips bit and put in a drill (preferably one that you can plug in) and try that.
2) If you can get a pair of locking pliers to grip securely on the head, that might work.
3) Use the flat blade of a regular screwdriver and pry while you turn the screw, the pressure might be able to get it out.
4) If none of those work, just get a drill bit slightly bigger than the screwhead, and drill through the screw until the head is cut off.

Good luck.

paikiah
05-20-2003, 09:17 PM
OR get yourself some high quality tools...

cheap ones tend to break...

Randy Savage
05-20-2003, 09:22 PM
You can get a backwards drill bit, forgot the exact name of it, but you drill it in and it will lock in and then just reverse the screw and it will come right out...

Jdg784
05-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Look for some easy out screw extractors, that'll do the job

Randy Savage
05-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Jdg784
Look for some easy out screw extractors, that'll do the job

That's what I'm thinking of...they are awesome...

Gauntlet
05-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by snova031
You can get a backwards drill bit, forgot the exact name of it, but you drill it in and it will lock in and then just reverse the screw and it will come right out...

Yeah....looks like an icepick....it's basically the same thing as drilling the screwhead off, except you have to pay for it.

maylar
05-21-2003, 09:47 AM
If it's at all possible to do without catching stuff on fire or melting plastic, heating the screw head can do miracles. One of those pinpoint mini torches applied to the screw for a few seconds is all you'd probly need. Use common sense tho... without seeing the location of the screw I can't say if it's practical or not.

BassRacer
05-21-2003, 11:50 PM
easy outs work good i have 3 easy out bit and they really help.