PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Bridge or no?

SVTLightning01
05-12-2008, 03:16 AM
I have a set of SLC 265s installed with a SAX100.4.

RIght now im running 2 channels @ 100wrms. Could be a little more. I could bridge the amp to 320wrms per side but feel it might be too much. Would it be okay if i am conservative on my gains?

What would you do? My HU is not active capable, so that is out of the question.

sonic purity
05-12-2008, 03:26 AM
thats twice the power that they are rated at. If you did bridge it I would be really careful not to be tempted to crank it too high. If you need more power up front, I would recommend putting another set of those rainbows in.

sonic purity
05-12-2008, 03:29 AM
I think that you can run active off the built in crossover on the amp

SVTLightning01
05-12-2008, 03:37 AM
it probably is possible, but not really looking at that option. I might look at getting a higher rated set of components....but not quite sure yet.

SVTLightning01
05-12-2008, 03:51 AM
Another question.

Does the baffle size for the speaker matter? Let me try to explain. When i ordered the rings, i ordered standard size 6.5" rings. The slc 265 mids are a bit larger than a standard 6.5" cutout. When we installed, we shaved the inner diameter of the mdf ring , so the speaker would fit.

On my car, to mount the speaker correctly, i had to build up the mdf rings (3 x 3/4") and mount to the door. SO basically the rings are built up on the door and the speaker sits inside the mdf rings (it does not go "into" the door as there is a metal window track there. Behind the mdf rings, i made a cutout so the door is used as an enclosure (someone would of asked)

Since the actual speaker is bigger than the standard size rings, the speaker is closer to the mdf than a normal 6.5 would be. Could this cause a "choking" effect by not letting the speaker breathe enough? Is there a rule of thumb as how much room there should be around a speaker when in a baffle?

I hope this makes sense, i explained the best i could.

sonic purity
05-12-2008, 04:02 AM
If I understand it correctly, then it should be fine.

back to the bridge question, I personally would give it a try, especially if the other channels werent being used. Like I said, just be careful not to give into temptation and crank em beyond what they can handle.

SVTLightning01
05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
looking for other opinions.

i want to send them 140-150wrms to eachs side. Maybe ill give it a try.