PDA

View Full Version : HT surround sound question

bonesninja
05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
In a 5.1 or 7.1 surround, are the 5 or 7 speakers typically comprised of full range speakers? Obviously, the sub is for the sub bass frqs but i always wondered about all the other speakers.

joetama
05-10-2008, 11:38 PM
It depends on the system.

For the BEST results you should have 5 or 7 of the same speakers.

However this rarely is a realistic goal. So, getting 5 or 7 speakers with very similar voicing is the solution.

But, to answer your direct question. No, not all speakers need to be full range.

I run full range at my L&R. The SR, SL, & Center are all small two-way designs that I wouldn't call full range.

bumpin_xxx
05-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Invest in a great sub so that all of your other speakers don't have to worry about those frequencies at all, and set them all to small. Even if you have big towers up front still set them to small and let your sub do all the dirty work. This will give you better sound stage throughout.

joetama
05-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I disagree rather strongly with that.

Unless you are going to be running stereo subwoofers it is much better to set the crossover point to 40 Hz or 60 Hz at most. I know you didn't say a crossover point, but I'm assuming you are talking in the 80 - 100 Hz range.

If you cross over your speakers higher the subwoofer will be come really directional, be very easy to locate, and will be the most colored part of the audio system.

I do not know what the OP is running for his front stage, but even if it is smaller bookshelf type speakers I would leave them on large and use the subwoofer crossed over where I recommended.

Others will disagree, but after many hours of playing and listening this is the best setup configuration that I have found.