PDA

View Full Version : not impressed with my speakers..help

bterz
05-09-2008, 07:04 PM
hey guys, i recently bought a pair of 6.5 components for my Tacoma.

They are the Fusion powerplant cm65 series, and I decided to buy them after the excellent reviews I got from users who owned them on the board.

"I have ran $500 MB Quarts, $400 Boston Pro 60's, $250 Rockford Power comps and the Fusion is by far the best sounding." Is a quote I got from somebody I respect here on the boards.

I installed the components to replace my 6.5" Alpine Type-S coaxles. They're very beefy and seem to be very well made. I installed them in a 6.5 adapter for my truck.

My very very first impression after installing was ... :(

I did some tuning with my H/U (not that is much, bass, treble, adjustments from -7 to +7 and have yet to find something im happy with. The speakers sound very "crispy" and seem to be playing very very high notes. I even adjusted with my -3db, 0db, and +3db on my x-over and it made a little difference but not in the area I was looking for. The vocals seem to be distant yet high pitch and painful.

I have no sound deadener in my doors but I plan on buying a roll soon.

My headunit is a Alpine CDE-9873 and I think this might by half my problem, with the lack of headunit EQ adjustments.... I'm also about 98% positive all my connections are correct.

First set of speakers going in a door and just not what I expected. My friend said he heard some Infinity Kappas at an audio shop and was blown away by them, but they mine dont really compare.

:confused::crazy:

thaster
05-09-2008, 07:07 PM
break in time maybe

thaster
05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
wait are you powering them with an amp?

bterz
05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Maybe break in-time indeed, that was something I forgot to ask about.

They're being powered by a Cadence TXA-6004 with im not sure how much power.

528hz
05-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I personally wouldn't buy any of that Fusion ****.

Running them off the HU alone may be the problem too.

DejaWiz
05-09-2008, 07:17 PM
How are the pass filters set (amp and/or HU)?

DD_Dave
05-09-2008, 07:22 PM
pwnd

thevic24
05-09-2008, 07:23 PM
re check the phasing of the drivers.

Weeznur32
05-09-2008, 07:25 PM
if you are running them off your head unit thats probably why

bterz
05-09-2008, 07:27 PM
im not running them off the h/u im running them off my Cadence in 2 channel mode 600x2

also my hpf for my speakers is set around 80 and my lpf for my sub is set around 80 as well.

bterz
05-09-2008, 07:28 PM
re check the phasing of the drivers.

im sorry could you explain this better
thank you

damonhargroves
05-09-2008, 07:28 PM
fusion ***** an di dont believe door speakers need "break in" time like a subwoofer does correct me if im wrong

damonhargroves
05-09-2008, 07:29 PM
thank you

make sure the pos. and neg. aren't backwards

damonhargroves
05-09-2008, 07:29 PM
hey guys, i recently bought a pair of 6.5 components for my Tacoma.

They are the Fusion powerplant cm65 series, and I decided to buy them after the excellent reviews I got from users who owned them on the board.

"I have ran $500 MB Quarts, $400 Boston Pro 60's, $250 Rockford Power comps and the Fusion is by far the best sounding." Is a quote I got from somebody I respect here on the boards.

I installed the components to replace my 6.5" Alpine Type-S coaxles. They're very beefy and seem to be very well made. I installed them in a 6.5 adapter for my truck.

My very very first impression after installing was ... :(

I did some tuning with my H/U (not that is much, bass, treble, adjustments from -7 to +7 and have yet to find something im happy with. The speakers sound very "crispy" and seem to be playing very very high notes. I even adjusted with my -3db, 0db, and +3db on my x-over and it made a little difference but not in the area I was looking for. The vocals seem to be distant yet high pitch and painful.

I have no sound deadener in my doors but I plan on buying a roll soon.

My headunit is a Alpine CDE-9873 and I think this might by half my problem, with the lack of headunit EQ adjustments.... I'm also about 98% positive all my connections are correct.

First set of speakers going in a door and just not what I expected. My friend said he heard some Infinity Kappas at an audio shop and was blown away by them, but they mine dont really compare.

:confused::crazy:

i highly doubt fusion makes a door speaker that sounds better than those two drivers. as a matter of fact i know they dont!

thevic24
05-09-2008, 07:31 PM
thank you

make shure that the + are all with the + and the same with the - for each driver at the sperkers and x-overs and amp connections.

bterz
05-09-2008, 07:32 PM
make sure the pos. and neg. aren't backwards

im gonna have to double check.

thevic24
05-09-2008, 07:33 PM
i highly doubt fusion makes a door speaker that sounds better than those two drivers. as a matter of fact i know they dont!

x2 while ther amps are very good, their componets are not as good.

bterz
05-09-2008, 07:35 PM

I dont know why he would tell me hes had tried all 3 and these are the best sounding if they weren't. And what made you change your mind from highly doubt to a fact? Not calling you a liar and not saying I expected them to be better then a 500$ set of comps but I can't see him just making that up.

I'm going to re-check my phasing asap, more then likely when I get my sound deadener.

edit: Team H&K also said he got the same results

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/handkaudio/100_0299.jpg

MyPoison1
05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
i heard heard these speakers at a local electronic store, entry level stuff or cheaply made, yeah they look cool but that's about it. the sony xplods at the same price sound better imo.
send them back.

tcguy85
05-09-2008, 09:23 PM
fusion ***** an di dont believe door speakers need "break in" time like a subwoofer does correct me if im wrong

yes they do. well, at least some do.

bterz
05-09-2008, 11:04 PM
oh well I guess they're just not as good as I was expecting. cant complain for 65$

bamaboy
05-09-2008, 11:40 PM
if it seems to good to be true...it probably is

stuff cost more for a reason

take a 9v batt or drill bad and pop the woofers and make sure they are going the same direction, just incase you got a wire crossed over somewhere

Innovative:Cory
05-10-2008, 12:39 PM
all speakers regardless of size require a break in time.....

IDSkoT
05-10-2008, 01:34 PM

I think you're wrong.
That's what I've heard at least. Either way, just let's be safe and say all speakers need a few hours of break in time.

headless
05-10-2008, 03:09 PM
break in time kind of depends on the stiffness of the suspension. I think those speakers are ****, btw; i don't think i'd be able to compare them to 500$ sets from reputable companies with a straight face.