PDA

View Full Version : space too small....?

mcv
05-18-2003, 10:03 PM
what happens if i put a 12" sub in a .57cft enclosure?
i think the 12" needs at least 1cft space.
what are the pros, cons of doing this? i ask because thatīs about the most space i can get from my truck (.57 cft per chamber).
should i go for a smaller (10") sub?

awalbert88
05-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Going with a smaller box than recommended is going to cause your sub to either sound terrible or quite possible be damaged. Go for a smaller sub or try to get a little bit more space. You could use polyfill to make it "virtually" bigger, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea where you'd need to double airspace. Is the .57cuft after driver displacement or before?

mcv
05-19-2003, 02:52 AM
this is the box iīm talking about.......
http://musicmooseaudio.com/dodge_quad_cab_truck_d03.html

what do you mean by "polyfill"?

paikiah
05-19-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by mcv
this is the box iīm talking about.......
http://musicmooseaudio.com/dodge_quad_cab_truck_d03.html

what do you mean by "polyfill"?

polyfill is like cotton fibres.. they "trick" the sub into thinking that it is in a larger neclosure than it really is.

I think you'd be better off with dual 10", at that kind of space. 10's will still kick, although I don't think you'll be netering any comps with that box. Also, some 12" subs might not be able to mount into it... (is 7" depth enough for a 12"?I don't think any 12") You'll also need to find a sub that's made for small enclosures, like ED subs, they are made for small enclosures, but 0.75 is mighty small.

Also, that's tight airspace, so you'll need to send more power to your subs to get max results.

b0mbrman
05-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by mcv
what happens if i put a 12" sub in a .57cft enclosure?
i think the 12" needs at least 1cft space.
what are the pros, cons of doing this? i ask because thatīs about the most space i can get from my truck (.57 cft per chamber).
should i go for a smaller (10") sub? Which sub?

My'97Ram
05-19-2003, 08:22 AM
sounds like if youre going to stick with that box, paikiah has a pretty good idea. but even with polyfill you might need to port the box.

evo2k3
05-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by My'97Ram
sounds like if youre going to stick with that box, paikiah has a pretty good idea. but even with polyfill you might need to port the box.

why would you port a box that small?!?!?!?! :banghead:

My'97Ram
05-19-2003, 08:34 AM
yeah, i just figured that out after i typed it. oops:banghead:

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 05:46 PM
id say deinfatly go with the 10 .57 isnt much at all....some 10" subs that would work with .57 cu ft are:

RF punch Z
PF Punch He2
RF Punch HX2
Any of the MTX Thunder series, 4000 - 8000
Alpine Type R
Infinity Kappa Perfect
Audiobahn Flame Q
Audiobahn High Exursion
Kenwood Excelon
Pioneer VCCS Pro

EPanther99
05-20-2003, 10:01 PM
all of the subs i listed above have rec. min. sealed box volumes of .5 or less cu ft so if you used any of them you wouldnt run the risk of hurting the sub.

awalbert88
05-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Jmac
It would have to be an extremely tiny box it to damage your sub :p

And I have a 0.9 ft^3 ported box :p I could probably turn a 0.57 ft^3 sealed box into a smaller ported box :p

Yeah, well.. well.. you're evil. :p Yeah. So there. :p :p

maylar
05-21-2003, 10:02 AM
If you don't have the subs yet, IDQ12's would be perfect with .57 cu. ft.

mcv
05-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by maylar
If you don't have the subs yet, IDQ12's would be perfect with .57 cu. ft.
IDQ12? whatīs IDQ?

paikiah
05-21-2003, 11:38 AM
ID= image dynamics...

high quality stuff

hihoslva
05-24-2003, 08:40 AM
I have found that even with subs that "recommend" a very small enclosure, you're better off going with the largest box in the range.

I saw Infinity Perfect in a list of "small box subs". Don't put that sub in a half-cube box - I speak from direct experience.

First, the Perfect has a pretty big magnet. It'll take up a LOT of space in a half-cube box.

Here's what happened to me:

Basically the exact same situation - very small box (.6 cubes at best - just like you), but it was all I could do at the time. I was using a Perfect 10. In such a small enclosure, the low-end response is really choked, and the output is not good at all. I mean, the sub plays, and sounds okay - but it's not going to be loud or low - you won't be impressed, trust me.

So, in the quest for the output I THOUGHT I should be getting, I constantly tried cranking the bass - high deck volume, high amp gains (the amp was a Rockford 360.2 - 360 watts RMS - perfect for the Perfect ;)), cranking the bass boost.

The end result is I fried the sub. In such a small box, the sub has a hard time moving due to the increased air resistance (like trying to **** a milkshake through a skinny drink stirrer ;)). This is why output suffers. So throwing more power at it only increases the work the sub TRIES to do - but the reisistance means it's getting tons of power without moving a lot, and the energy turns to heat. Pooof. Bye bye sub.

In your situation, I would suggest one of two things. Either try to use a larger enclosure (I eventually made a fiberglass enclosure, and things are much better now), or consider 8" subs. You might be able to put something like a JL 8w7 in such a small box with excellent results. Who knows - maybe even a nice pair of 8's would work. But a 10" or larger in such a small enclosure (remember, the sub takes up space, too - so you may wind up with a lot less than .57 cubes) just doesn't work out that well in my experience.

You won't win any SPL trophies with a tiny sealed box and an 8" sub or two. But you should be able to get some very good sound, and have a setup that won't fry your subs.

~HH

madshoe
05-24-2003, 12:35 PM
^^ How about reverse mounting the subs? Wouldn't that free up some extra space?

How would the sound compare?

-Alberto

paikiah
05-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by madshoe
^^ How about reverse mounting the subs? Wouldn't that free up some extra space?

How would the sound compare?

-Alberto

if the sub is inverted, you gain the sub displacement amount and there has been no reported "improvement" in quality or quantity.

hihoslva
05-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Jmac
The Punch is underrated by around 20% and the Power is underrated by 40-50% ...

Unfortunately, not anymore. I have a 2002 model Punch 500s - it's underrated by a whopping 3%. Rated power 500 watts, birth sheet max power, 513 watts.

The 360.2 is quite underrated, however - you are correct. It's actually MORE powerful than the 500s - birth sheet is 539 watts max power.

But this does solidify my point somewhat - in a too-small enclosure, output generally *****. No way should I have felt the need to crank the gains - they should've been set at halfway with great results. But even maxxed out, the sub output was crappy. All the fault of the box.

~HH

mcv
05-28-2003, 12:35 AM
what if i seal one of the holes and just put one 12" sub? would that double the space? assuming the chambers are not separated.

hihoslva
05-28-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by mcv
what if i seal one of the holes and just put one 12" sub? would that double the space? assuming the chambers are not separated.

Of course it would.

~HH

dave_3148
05-28-2003, 06:52 AM
i would ditch the prefab and get a custom box or build yourself (you could get some back seat rasiers and get a good amount of space) and that ones is not exactly "high quility". but if your dead set on it i would go with some id subs www.imagedynamicsusa.com

EPanther99
05-28-2003, 02:41 PM
why is everyone so against buying a pre made box? there is no way anyone could build the box i got for the price i paid for it.....