PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing hu in 2001 silverado

bryantxii
05-08-2008, 10:18 PM
just bought the truck and it had the factory radio. im putting in my alpine hu but cant get it to work. ive read that on some of the newer silverados they take a seperate modular to keep all the door chimes and stuff working right but i was also told if i open my doors and the chime doesnt comes from the speakers i dont need that modular. which mine doesnt so i dont think i need the modualr deal. is there something else i dont know about to get this thing working?

skydeaner
05-08-2008, 10:53 PM
You will never need that module, it is a waste of money. You need a multimeter and a basic understanding of dc electronics.

ProgMtl
05-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Should just be a straight forward plugin with a wiring harness...Installed MANY different HU's in my truck and NEVER had any issues with any of them.

thaster
05-09-2008, 10:00 AM
check your wiring

bryantxii
05-09-2008, 09:28 PM
i already cut the factory harness and spliced directly into the wires(should of just bought the harness kit i know). ive looked online and for a 2001 silverado, the orange wire is the power wire, the yellows wire is ignition, black is ground. and thats all i need for it to power on right? I tried using the factory ground wire and making my own and running my own power wire...neither worked. any suggestion?

DB_DRAG_SPL
05-09-2008, 09:30 PM
i already cut the factory harness and spliced directly into the wires

Mistake number one....

skydeaner
05-09-2008, 10:49 PM
get a multimeter and make sure the wires you speak of actually have 12v+ running through them. if so the deck is bad.

crx4luke
05-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Some of the GMs moved from a yellow accy wire to a green accy wire. My guess is that you popped at least a fuse or two. Also, there if there is a yellow wire for accy, then there are two yellow wires behind the radio. One for accy, and a second for your left rear negative speaker wire.

bryantxii
05-10-2008, 06:46 PM
get a multimeter and make sure the wires you speak of actually have 12v+ running through them. if so the deck is bad.

checked power its getting power. decks not bad because i just plugged it straight into my friends car he has an alpine and the harnes is the same and it powered right on.

bryantxii
05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Some of the GMs moved from a yellow accy wire to a green accy wire. My guess is that you popped at least a fuse or two. Also, there if there is a yellow wire for accy, then there are two yellow wires behind the radio. One for accy, and a second for your left rear negative speaker wire.

checked every fuse under the hood, on the side of the dash, and on the hu...all good. and i just have one yellow wire, and according to the wiring diagram for my silverado the orange wire is the 12 volt battery wire so that goes to the yellow on my alpine and and the ignition wire is yellow so i connect that to the red wire on my alpine right?

Zxcvtypo
05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
do those trucks even have a 12v accessory in the factory harness?

bryantxii
05-10-2008, 07:45 PM

not from what ive looked up online but hell i cant even get mine to work so i guess u cant take my word for it

mokedaddy
05-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Some do, some dont. Does it have bose? or onstar? Is there only one yellow wire?

Zxcvtypo
05-10-2008, 07:57 PM
i believe '01 was the first year they started using a ~5v data wire as the factory radios ignition or some **** like that...if that's the case then you'll have to run an ignition wire from the ignition harness or something for power...

that could be completely wrong, so don't quote me on it. just meter everything back there, car on and off.

Calikid
05-10-2008, 08:01 PM
the module is around 100 bucks :crap: pretty sure your going to need it.

bryantxii
05-10-2008, 08:05 PM
i believe '01 was the first year they started using a ~5v data wire as the factory radios ignition or some **** like that...if that's the case then you'll have to run an ignition wire from the ignition harness or something for power...

that could be completely wrong, so don't quote me on it. just meter everything back there, car on and off.

ive read that i may have to run my own ignition wire so you may be right. and mine doesnt have onstar or bose

mokedaddy
05-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Pull out the old meter or testlight.

crx4luke
05-10-2008, 11:14 PM
The easiest way to tell on the ignition is this. If you have to use a 7mm to get the radio out, then you're going to have to run an ignition wire down to the fuse box. You can either run the ignition down, or you can get the correct class 2 databus interface.

If you just push some clips down and slide the radio out, then you have ignition in the radio wiring harness.

crx4luke
05-10-2008, 11:16 PM
One other thing. By not working, do you mean that it isn't powering up, or do you mean that you're not getting any sound. If it is the latter, then you probably have an amp (usually behind the glove box). If its the former, then you have a power or ground issue.

WrenchGuy
05-10-2008, 11:23 PM
The Scosche GM2000 is the first harness I tried and it threw my Tahoe for a whirl out of the blue one day. It was messing with the ECM to find out.

I did away with it and went to running my own power and grounds from the battery like I normally do. I used the pink wire in the ignition harness. You can use pink or brown for IGN.

crx4luke
05-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I usually use brown, as its a true accy, and not a true ignition.

bryantxii
05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
its not powering up at all. and my radio just slides out doesnt screw. and so your saying i use either the pink or brown wire from my truck as my ignition wire?

mokedaddy
05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah use the brown wire from the ignition harness. Like said it is one of the true accessories. (The orange is as well) but the brown is what powers the radio so I just use that.

You can use the pink ignition but in theory it may cause a voltage spike during crank and make funny things happen (very rare but possible none the less)

Do you have a meter or test light?

bryantxii
05-11-2008, 05:07 PM
yeah i have a test light, the organe power wire is getting power. right now i have my red ignition wire from my alpin hooked up to the yellow wire on my truck but ill try the brown one

crx4luke
05-11-2008, 07:54 PM
You don't need a brown wire for accy. If you just slide the radio out, not remove screws, then you just need to find a yellow wire with 12v when you turn the key.

There should be two yellow wires in the radio harness, one is the negative wire on your right rear speaker, the other would be 12v ignition. If there is not two yellow wires in the radio harness that you cut the plug on, then you need to test the dark green wires to see if any of those have 12v with the key. There are also two brown wires in that harness. One is for illumination, the second is the positive wire on you left rear speaker.

You probably popped a fuse though. Go through all the fuses inside the truck and under the hood.

bryantxii
05-11-2008, 08:01 PM
i checked all of the fuses they were all fine. and i only have one yellow wire.

crx4luke
05-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Do you have an amp behind the glove box? or is it a blose system?

bryantxii
05-11-2008, 11:30 PM
no amp no bose

crx4luke
05-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Then you definitely have a blown fuse. You need to check them all, not just the ones that say radio. Check to see if you have two yellow or two green wires in the harness. Whichever one you have two of, one of them is going to be your accy wire.

bryantxii
05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
yeah man i checked every fuse i have. and i have one yellow wire and about 4 wires different shades of green

Zxcvtypo
05-12-2008, 07:32 PM
yeah man i checked every fuse i have. and i have one yellow wire and about 4 wires different shades of green

take it somewhere that knows what they're doing, you should have gotten the harness you needed in the first place instead of cutting that **** off..it's $40 tops at wal-mart.

crx4luke
05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Green is going to be your switched accy. You will have a light green which is positive right front speaker, and a dark green which is negative right front speaker. Then you will have another green which will give you your accy. I know you said you checked every fuse, but i've overlooked them as well in those trucks, and had to go back and check them again. I've done hundreds of those trucks, and its never taken me three days to do a radio. check them again, make sure you have a good ground, and if all else fails take it to someone and pay to get it working. It should only take an experienced person 5 minutes to hardwire it up for you.

And next time buy the harness. I know it seems like a waste of money, but its the correct, easiest, and fastest way to get the install done.

bryantxii
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
**** finally...thank you crx4luke. i found the correct green light and used that as an ignition wire instead of the yellow like my friend who is supposed to know all about car aduio and who swore up and down he looked up online at istalldr or somethin and it said to use yellow.

crx4luke
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Glad you got it working. Next time don't cut the harness off. lol

But on a side note, It was about 98, 99 or 2000 that GM switched from using the yellow wire for ignition on their trucks, to using the green wire. Anything before then used yellow, they just switched it for a couple of years before they started doing a databus turn on. I think a lot of people got confused on whether or not yours had databus turn on in it because of the year. 2001 was a crossover year between the class 2 databus trucks, and the older style with a true accy turn on behind the radio.